The Student Room Group

Macbook Air, Macbook Pro or a Windows laptop?

Scroll to see replies

Windows laptop, always. HP ProBook/EliteBook or Lenovo ThinkPad.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
X

I found that even if I was typing the lectures as they were going, then my brain wouldn't record the information. It'd just convert what I was hearing into key strokes. :frown:

Nowadays I don't need to really take notes in lectures as I'm on a digital arts degree and our lectures are always available online after.
Original post by brittanna
I'm not sure a Macbook air will be powerful enough for all that web browsing and document writing you're going to be doing.

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
She could always stick some more RAM in it. 64GB would probably do.

Original post by Mad Vlad
I'll grab my soldering iron!

But it's pretty :colondollar:
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Windows laptop, always. HP ProBook/EliteBook or Lenovo ThinkPad.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those!
Original post by Mindless Behavior

I have to admit, your reasoning is sound. :tongue:
Reply 25
I got the 13 inch MBP from currys with Knowhow insurance and i'm so happy i did. they have full care for everything and i paid 1500 for laptop and 5 years insurance which i think is good for a MBP. even if i am at fault for it breaking they fix it or replace it.
Original post by lauramercier
MacBook Pro, 100%. I love mine and wouldn't be without it now.

Couldn't agree more. MacBook Pro is a fantastic bit of kit.

It is. But instead, you could buy two or three windows laptops (one of which should be quite pretty). Then you could take the cheaper laptops apart to get the bits that look pretty and then stick those onto the expensive laptop (i'd recommend using cellotape or super glue as they're transparent, but also have the right level of stickyness). So then you have a powerful laptop that looks pretty. As a final step, you could buy some stickers to stick on there to make it look even better. You would probably still have some money left over to buy pens and paper or a lawnmower or something.
Original post by cem101
I got the 13 inch MBP from currys with Knowhow insurance and i'm so happy i did. they have full care for everything and i paid 1500 for laptop and 5 years insurance which i think is good for a MBP. even if i am at fault for it breaking they fix it or replace it.

Oh god not Knowhow, such a ripoff.
You probably don't need a laptop. Would recommend getting a £500-600 desktop with a decent screen(s) instead. In terms of price, bang for buck, durability, capability and upgradability, the desktop trumps all. You do not need a Macbook.

Would I not need something portable while at university? Do you think I should get a tablet as well as a desktop for when I need something portable?
Would I not need something portable while at university? Do you think I should get a tablet as well as a desktop for when I need something portable?

Ignore that advice. Telling someone to bring a desktop to University is ridiculous. A laptop of some description is what you want.
Original post by brittanna
It is. But instead, you could buy two or three windows laptops (one of which should be quite pretty). Then you could take the cheaper laptops apart to get the bits that look pretty and then stick those onto the expensive laptop (i'd recommend using cellotape or super glue as they're transparent, but also have the right level of stickyness). So then you have a powerful laptop that looks pretty. As a final step, you could buy some stickers to stick on there to make it look even better. You would probably still have some money left over to buy pens and paper or a lawnmower or something.

:laugh: If only I had some rep left for today.
Do you have anything other than overzealous hyperbole to add here?

Do you have anything other than attacking someone for their personal opinion?
Original post by Doomlar
It depends what course you are going to do I would think; if you're predominantly using it for documents and spreadsheets get a laptop running Windows- if you were doing a lot of graphics editing, or compositional based courses then the Mac OS X may be more suited to you. If you're not planning to take it to lectures, like Mad Vlad said get a desktop machine.

I'll hopefully be doing Philosophy and Economics so I won't be doing any graphics editing or anything like that. I don't know if I'll be taking it to lectures or not, I don't think I'll need to though. If not, will I not need something portable for other uses? (not sure what those are yet)
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
That's kind of like saying to someone looking for a new car; "get a Ferrari, I have one and it's amazing". It's overpriced and unnecessary if they're just going to be using it to drive to the supermarket.

There's a difference between spending a couple of hundred pounds more on a higher spec laptop than spending tens of thousands of pounds more a new car. Stupid comparison. Well in that case, I just use mine to "drive to the supermarket" but if that's all I use it for, then fine, I still love using it even if I perhaps don't use it to its full capability.
It's gonna sound a bit stupid, but if you get a desktop then you always have to sit at your desk to do your work (unless you get a wireless keyboard I suppose but it's still a bit awkward) at least if you get a laptop you can sit on your bed if you feel like it, or at your desk, in your kitchen, take it to the library etc etc, but I suppose if you're someone who doesn't mind doing all their work at a desk then it wouldn't be a problem! Me personally, I mostly sit in bed doing my work or take my laptop to the library. Just a thought!
It's gonna sound a bit stupid, but if you get a desktop then you always have to sit at your desk to do your work (unless you get a wireless keyboard I suppose but it's still a bit awkward) at least if you get a laptop you can sit on your bed if you feel like it, or at your desk, in your kitchen, take it to the library etc etc, but I suppose if you're someone who doesn't mind doing all their work at a desk then it wouldn't be a problem! Me personally, I mostly sit in bed doing my work or take my laptop to the library. Just a thought!

Exactly, not to mention having to lug the thing around when you're off to Uni, then back home if you want to do any work during the holidays. Laughably bad advice. :grin:

I hadn't thought about this! I never work from my desk unless I'm cramming for an exam from a textbook. I think a laptop would suit me more
I'll hopefully be doing Philosophy and Economics so I won't be doing any graphics editing or anything like that. I don't know if I'll be taking it to lectures or not, I don't think I'll need to though. If not, will I not need something portable for other uses? (not sure what those are yet)

The quote below makes a good point about the portable side of things- getting a decent Windows notebook seems like your best option, but if you're a gamer take that into consideration as well.

There's a difference between spending a couple of hundred pounds more on a higher spec laptop than spending tens of thousands of pounds more a new car. Stupid comparison. Well in that case, I just use mine to "drive to the supermarket" but if that's all I use it for, then fine, I still love using it even if I perhaps don't use it to its full capability.

It's an extreme comparison but not a stupid one. The difference between a Mac and some of the other laptops suggested in this thread is more like £600 not a couple of hundred. I'm not denying that people have a right to buy them or enjoy owning them, just don't expect me to enthusiastically endorse them when asked what laptop I'd recommend to a student who's just going to use it for browsing and documents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending