The Student Room Group

Need some help with my A level subject choices !

Hey there,
Having very little idea of what I'd like to do at university, I've narrowed my choices to what I would find most interesting/enjoyable:
French, Maths, Biology (and my dilemma is between Economics and Chemistry). Whether I do a science or business (or something else) course at university I don't know, and I'm not sure how to decide! Would taking Economics be an odd set of subjects? (making it hard to find a course I'd like?)
Chemistry is a better option if you are considering doing a science course , as biology alone will probably only limit you to just biology . Economics isn't mandatory for an economics degree ( if that's what you're intending to do ) , as far as I know only maths is essential for most universities .
I would say if there's even a chance of you wanting to do a science related degree, then pick Chemistry. If you ever decided you wanted to do a business course, they wouldn't look down upon you because you didn't have Economics or Business if you had Chemistry and Biology which are two really strong and academic subjects. Whereas if you did Economics and then decided you wanted to do something related to Science, it could be difficult for you to get onto a course in a "top" university if you only had one science a-level.
Reply 3
You've picked some really difficult subjects there (not one of them is a 'doss' subject by any means lol). Chemistry and Biology are very content heavy and Maths is a very difficult one which I've only ever seen people who get A*s and have a genuine love for it do very well in it. I would say pick an essay subject, a language, a science (like Chemistry as Biology does limit as said before) and a wildcard choice. Above all though, please ensure you actually enjoy doing these subjects as it's easy to fall in love with the idea of taking these subjects and when it actually comes down to doing it you're bored and unmotivated to do anything with them (i.e me in Biology last year :') ).
Original post by Exephy
Hey there,
Having very little idea of what I'd like to do at university, I've narrowed my choices to what I would find most interesting/enjoyable:
French, Maths, Biology (and my dilemma is between Economics and Chemistry). Whether I do a science or business (or something else) course at university I don't know, and I'm not sure how to decide! Would taking Economics be an odd set of subjects? (making it hard to find a course I'd like?)

If you're still unsure, you should pick chemistry. Many science courses require chemistry but I've yet to come across a course where economics is required.
Reply 5
I really need some sort of advice on what to take as my a levels. Please do me a little favor and advise on which option to take.

I am really keen on becoming a doctor.I am good at the sciences and hoping to get straight A*s in them when results day arrives, and I have already gained an A* in maths due to an early entry. Soo

Option 1: biology, chem, maths, physics

Option 2: bio, chemistry, maths, geography

But I wanna keep my options open and by doing geography I could open up more paths and make my life easier by not doing physics. However by doing physics I could if everything works out have an option to either become a doctor or engineer. Which are very good jobs.

Please give me advice, I am stuck. ))

Quick Reply

Latest