The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

No accommodation, getting seriously stressed!

I'm realising that things aren't looking too good for me right now. I've been looking for a spot at a student house, but everywhere seems taken, or in the process of been taken. I've visited 5-7 websites dedicated to student leasing, but to no avail.

I joined UWE through clearing, and even then all on campus accommodation had been taken up and I heard there's a 800 person queue (i.e no chance).

I tried forming a group to go house hunting but now some of the people are giving up so it'll probably be just me at the end of it.

What the hell am I supposed to do?
Original post by Made in Tyrone
I'm realising that things aren't looking too good for me right now. I've been looking for a spot at a student house, but everywhere seems taken, or in the process of been taken. I've visited 5-7 websites dedicated to student leasing, but to no avail.

I joined UWE through clearing, and even then all on campus accommodation had been taken up and I heard there's a 800 person queue (i.e no chance).

I tried forming a group to go house hunting but now some of the people are giving up so it'll probably be just me at the end of it.

Buy an apartment, thought it was obvious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by Med_medine
Buy an apartment, thought it was obvious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're all extremely expensive and pretty much sold out.

My budget is either £400pm or £100pw
(edited 9 years ago)
I had the same problem at UEA 2 years ago. I was 24, a bit older than the other first years, so when it came to looking for a student house in the 2nd year I was what they call disadvantaged. I had to leave my course, although I got a 2.1, and get a job in Scotland. I'm going back to uni this year though after 2.5 years out so its all ok. Maybe you should get a job somewhere and apply again next year?
Original post by umfumfumf
I had the same problem at UEA 2 years ago. I was 24, a bit older than the other first years, so when it came to looking for a student house in the 2nd year I was what they call disadvantaged. I had to leave my course, although I got a 2.1, and get a job in Scotland. I'm going back to uni this year though after 2.5 years out so its all ok. Maybe you should get a job somewhere and apply again next year?

I'm not giving up a place at Uni like that ... I'd prefer living in my car than drop out of an unconditional offer.
I'm not giving up a place at Uni like that ... I'd prefer living in my car than drop out of an unconditional offer.

I know what your saying, well done on getting the offer. First time round I got 2 offers out of five, this time I got all my offers accepted except one. The rejection was on a similar course at the same university as one of the other offers so not a big deal.

A lot of uni's let students defer their place. You don't have to let your place go, you can start in 1 years time. If you start in one years time you have more chance to look for a place to live.
Original post by umfumfumf
I know what your saying, well done on getting the offer. First time round I got 2 offers out of five, this time I got all my offers accepted except one. The rejection was on a similar course at the same university as one of the other offers so not a big deal.

A lot of uni's let students defer their place. You don't have to let your place go, you can start in 1 years time. If you start in one years time you have more chance to look for a place to live.

There's no question here, I DON'T want to defer my place, I want to go to Uni this year.

I'm just seriously struggling to find accommodation. I made a group up a few days ago, but now people are starting to flake. I need one room close to Frenchay Campus with people who aren't boring and have 1 or 2 Freshers in their house already.

Hey. I've found a 5 bed house and am looking for people to help me fill it. The tenancy doesn't begin until the 25th of September though. Is this any use to any of you?
Original post by zozoes68246
Hey. I've found a 5 bed house and am looking for people to help me fill it. The tenancy doesn't begin until the 25th of September though. Is this any use to any of you?

As a Fresher it doesn't help since we start on the 12th? Is there no way to get it then rather than the 25th?
As a Fresher it doesn't help since we start on the 12th? Is there no way to get it then rather than the 25th?

The viewing is tomorrow, so I will ask then. I think they've done it deliberately to avoid Freshers/Clearing Students. Some landlords do that because they're pricks.

If you can sofa surf the first week at someone elses house in Bristol, that's how most people get round it.

I'll try and negotiate it tomorrow though.
The viewing is tomorrow, so I will ask then. I think they've done it deliberately to avoid Freshers/Clearing Students. Some landlords do that because they're pricks.

If you can sofa surf the first week at someone elses house in Bristol, that's how most people get round it.

No need ... got myself a place in the Student Castle :smile: ... bit expensive but worth it.
Hi, I'm struggling to find accommodation too. UWE was my insurance choice, I didn't get into my firm choice so applied for accommodation as soon as it opened on Friday but got a call today saying its all full. Any ideas? Some private halls are way too expensive.

Hi any chance you have rooms available and that we could come and view it with you??
Reply 13
Hi, like a large number of people who applied to UWE via clearing I'm in the same boat as the OP and -at least for me- it looks as if I'm going to have to look for accommodation inside the city center which is a few miles away from the main Frenchay campus where my course will be based. I would recommend checking out the accommodation page on the UWE website which has links to websites which provide information on places that are still yet to be filled. Other than that the only other thing you can do is to go to the "house hunting" event they have tomorrow.
Reply 14

Hey,
A friend and I are coming tomorrow to look around accommodation. Is there any chance we could come to the viewing with you if you still have 2 spare rooms available?
Thanks, Emma
Hey. Sorry guys, the house has been let now.

Have you all got access to the uwestudentpad website?

I can send you the password if you want? There's 15 properties listed on there all from UWE accredited landlords :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending