The Student Room Group

My parents are so annoying. Anyone else in the same boat?

So I've been back from uni what a week and they're already trying to police me and interrogate me over the tiniest things.

My dad asked me to go to the pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions as he was caught up at work and I said I was binging on netflix and he gave me a massive lecture about something I can't even remember. I had my him on speaker while I had my laptop headphones in. :tongue:

Why do parents baby us?
Mine don't. Mine have treated me like an adult since I was a child
my mum calls me every 2 minutes. its so annoying! she calling me now. :angry: bye
Reply 3
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Mine don't. Mine have treated me like an adult since I was a child

Do you live with them though?

I have been at uni for 4 years and I only visit them during the summer holiday.
Original post by Marky Mark
Do you live with them though?

I have been at uni for 4 years and I only visit them during the summer holiday.

Yeah I do. They're just very chill
Reply 5
I'd show my parents respect if i were you. Beside your MOTHER did go through the worst pain imaginable. + neutering you for God knows how many year. :smile:
Yeah, mine never leave me alone. I know it's only because they care but it drives me mad.
ugh my mums a right bitch. Can't even speak to her with being yelled at for speaking to her with an attitude and a tone.. God i hate that word!!!
So I've been back from uni what a week and they're already trying to police me and interrogate me over the tiniest things.

My dad asked me to go to the pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions as he was caught up at work and I said I was binging on netflix and he gave me a massive lecture about something I can't even remember. I had my him on speaker while I had my laptop headphones in. :tongue:

Why do parents baby us?

You had nothing better to do and your dad asked you to do something for him while you weren't doing much else at all. The most annoying person in that situation was you.
Reply 9
Original post by sliceofcake
You had nothing better to do and your dad asked you to do something for him while you weren't doing much else at all. The most annoying person in that situation was you.

Listen I'm on holiday and I'm relaxing by catching up on shows I've missed during the teaching year. He could have compromised and let me pick it up tomorrow. I think as an adult I have a choice on what is asked of me and yes even by my parents.

So yesterday I picked up the washing from the washing line after it got drenched in the rain and put it back in the washing machine. He had a go at me for predicting it was going to rain.
er yeah if you're sat in all day doing a tiny favour for your parents IS something you should do, I know people who can't get on with their parents because they still act like children and you sound exactly like that, it's not unreasonable for parents to ask you to help out with things like picking something up, or doing housework and it's not unreasonable for anyone you live with to check where you are/when you'll be home, if you act like a child you'll be treated like a child

Why do parents baby us?

So stop watching TV and pick up your dad's prescriptions, ffs.

I suspect troll. If not, don't be a dick and, when your parents ask for minor favours, and you're doing nothing but watching tv, do them.

Original post by sdvds
I'd show my parents respect if i were you. Beside your MOTHER did go through the worst pain imaginable. + neutering you for God knows how many year.
:smile:

If his mother neutered him he might have a legitimate grievance.
(edited 9 years ago)
I usually get on with them for a few weeks then they start to grate on me. I've been home for about six weeks for summer & they're getting to the irritating phase now. Only three weeks until I'm back to uni though so I hope I can survive. :P
I would rather have parents that baby me than parents who start arguments over everything (I kid you not, EVERYTHING) and then pin the blame on me, even if I didn't do or say anything.

My parents are also extremely Christian and I'm agnostic, and let's just say they didn't take it too well when I told them (they acted like I had just announced that I was a serial killer or something).

And don't forget the comparisons. They compare me to more or less everyone my age, and they can always find something that that one person does or says that instantly makes them better than me. They do this all the time. Even if they don't literally say "Why can't you be more like (insert name here)?", it's still obvious that they're always looking at that one friend of mine who's a child genius and they're obviously seething with jealousy.

They are also very discriminative. Especially my dad. He'll just make a really offensive joke and then laugh like it was the funniest thing in the world, and I usually get offended by this, even if I'm not actually a part of the certain group of people that he's offending (I feel offended on their behalf because I believe in equality for everyone because we're all human beings).

And I do try to make them proud of me. I really do. I try my best in my exams, I have a good social life, I actually wrote a book last summer, but they don't care. They only care when I don't do well in an exam (for example, I didn't do very well in my higher Chemistry exam this academic year just gone and now they won't stop going on about it, even though I passed all of my other exams, quite a lot of these passes were As and Bs as well, there was only one C) and when I tell someone that I really like writing and that I actually have a manuscript of a book that I wrote a year ago sitting in my bedroom waiting to be edited, given cover art and self-published.
Original post by moonriver96
ugh my mums a right bitch. Can't even speak to her with being yelled at for speaking to her with an attitude and a tone.. God i hate that word!!!

Same here :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending