The Student Room Group

Latymer School, Edmonton

I am planning on applying to Latymer sixth form entry in September 2015 and I would like to know if it is possible to get an offer with the following grades:

Additional Science A*

English A

Maths A*

History A*

French A

Russian A*

Religious Studies A

Drama A

Dance A

English Literature A

Core science A

I would like to do the following A-Levels:

Russian
History
Maths
Classical Civilisation(self study as I know that Latymer doesn't offer this subject)
And maybe Further Maths
I would like to know how the teaching and atmosphere is like at the school and are people friendly there. Is it an advantage forthe school that you do GCSE Russian and that you know the language as your second language?
And what is the entry test like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm a current student (just finished GCSEs, starting sixth form in September); hopefully I can be of some help to you :smile:
So from your results you meet the minimum entry requirements which is great along with the requirements for the individual subjects :smile:
It's a great school (slightly biased I know) but both me and my brother have went to Latymer and we can both agree the teaching is top notch, and the people are amazingly diverse, intelligent and kind. Sometimes we get a reputation as a hothouse which forces you into incredible work loads and this isn't true from what I've seen over the past 5 years. From the results you've given you should excel.

If you know Russian proficiently it will be a good asset, especially since you're doing the subject for A-levels, however I don't do Russian so I can't advise you greatly on that.

The main problem I see is that you present 1 situation in which you're only taking 3 A-levels at school (Russian, History, Maths and studying Classical Civilisation at home) and from experience the school doesn't like this that much. Self studying seems to be one of those things reserved for people who have shown exceptional talent during previous years in this subject and can justify it (eg mathematicians taking A-level Maths in year 9). The school will make you take 4 AS-levels at least, for example Russian, History, Maths and FM. Whilst taking 5 AS-levels at Latymer is not by any means impossible, it is quite rare: I would estimate about 3-5 people take 5 AS levels per year and, from personal experience, they do a fairly thorough review as to whether you'll be able to handle the workload etc etc.

Again, though, if you can prove that you can handle it the school are more than happy to help in any way, our Latin department is top notch and one of the teachers is a personal favourite of mine and teaches Ancient Greek to enthusiastic students and if you were to ask he would be able to give you help on anything Greco-Roman.
I haven't gone through the external applicants process (obviously :P ) but from what I know there are no formal tests. You need an A/A* in the subjects you choose to study (usually an A* for external applicants from what I've heard) and you have interviews with subject teachers for the A-levels you want to take as well as the deputy head teacher. I do not think there are any internal exams which you'd have to take

Latymer is a great school; both the teachers and pupils are lovely and there's a huge amount going on at any point so you can take your picking. Sorry for the digression, I hope this has been of help and if you have questions shoot away XD
Reply 2
Original post by popo123
Hey, I'm a current student (just finished GCSEs, starting sixth form in September); hopefully I can be of some help to you :smile:
So from your results you meet the minimum entry requirements which is great along with the requirements for the individual subjects :smile:
It's a great school (slightly biased I know) but both me and my brother have went to Latymer and we can both agree the teaching is top notch, and the people are amazingly diverse, intelligent and kind. Sometimes we get a reputation as a hothouse which forces you into incredible work loads and this isn't true from what I've seen over the past 5 years. From the results you've given you should excel.

If you know Russian proficiently it will be a good asset, especially since you're doing the subject for A-levels, however I don't do Russian so I can't advise you greatly on that.

The main problem I see is that you present 1 situation in which you're only taking 3 A-levels at school (Russian, History, Maths and studying Classical Civilisation at home) and from experience the school doesn't like this that much. Self studying seems to be one of those things reserved for people who have shown exceptional talent during previous years in this subject and can justify it (eg mathematicians taking A-level Maths in year 9). The school will make you take 4 AS-levels at least, for example Russian, History, Maths and FM. Whilst taking 5 AS-levels at Latymer is not by any means impossible, it is quite rare: I would estimate about 3-5 people take 5 AS levels per year and, from personal experience, they do a fairly thorough review as to whether you'll be able to handle the workload etc etc.

Again, though, if you can prove that you can handle it the school are more than happy to help in any way, our Latin department is top notch and one of the teachers is a personal favourite of mine and teaches Ancient Greek to enthusiastic students and if you were to ask he would be able to give you help on anything Greco-Roman.
I haven't gone through the external applicants process (obviously :P ) but from what I know there are no formal tests. You need an A/A* in the subjects you choose to study (usually an A* for external applicants from what I've heard) and you have interviews with subject teachers for the A-levels you want to take as well as the deputy head teacher. I do not think there are any internal exams which you'd have to take

Latymer is a great school; both the teachers and pupils are lovely and there's a huge amount going on at any point so you can take your picking. Sorry for the digression, I hope this has been of help and if you have questions shoot away XD

Hii I'm thinking of applying for latymer for 2016 (after my Gcses), so I was wondering if you could advise/ inform me :wink: I want to study Religon (philosophy/ethics) and Maths for AS which I've already got A*'s in at GCSE as I've done them a year early, and the other 2 from the following; physics, biology, chemistry, further maths. I am predicted A*'s in all of them, btw. Would I need to get A*'s in all of my As subjects at GCSE as an external candidate? Or would getting an A* in 3/4 of my chosen As subjects at GCSE level suffice? Also, would low grades in English, French or Art (low as in a C or B) be problematic? I know you need at least 6 A's and an A or A* for your chosen subjects, but I was just wondering if low grade in subjects irrelevant to your A levels make a difference. Thanks, and sorry in advance if my message is kinda dodgy.. Its 1 am and I'm tired as hell after revising biology.
I think your A level selection is good. I would probably ditch classical civilisation for further maths personally
Hello!

I'm in Y12, study all of the sciences and maths and moved to Latymer for sixth form this year, as an external student, so yes, I'm probably slightly biased too. :bigsmile: Latymer is great, most of the people are lovely, polite and well mannered, which I must add was a great change in environment, considering the school I moved here from :adore:

So far, I can tell you that the whole reputation of Latymer being "too much pressure" is pretty much a myth. Of course A levels aren't going to be easy, but most of the teachers seem approachable and more than eager to help if you don't understand. The atmosphere is quite laid back/informal, yet still academically fulfilling, which I really like. (yay)

All external applicants must sit the entrance test which is consistent of non verbal, verbal and numerical reasoning. I didn't get in first time (for y7) or second time (for y12), however, if you don't get in this way, you can reapply after results day, (I did this) personally, I got 10A*s, but I know of people with 5A*s who got in this way - by the look of your predicted grades, you're be more than capable. Regarding vd12345, I know people who got in for non essay based subjects with B in English.

Feel free to ask any further questions on applying/moving to Latymer as an external student! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Felhasacharizard
Hello!

I'm in Y12, study all of the sciences and maths and moved to Latymer for sixth form this year, as an external student, so yes, I'm probably slightly biased too. :bigsmile: Latymer is great, most of the people are lovely, polite and well mannered, which I must add was a great change in environment, considering the school I moved here from :adore:

So far, I can tell you that the whole reputation of Latymer being "too much pressure" is pretty much a myth. Of course A levels aren't going to be easy, but most of the teachers seem approachable and more than eager to help if you don't understand. The atmosphere is quite laid back/informal, yet still academically fulfilling, which I really like. (yay)

All external applicants must sit the entrance test which is consistent of non verbal, verbal and numerical reasoning. I didn't get in first time (for y7) or second time (for y12), however, if you don't get in this way, you can reapply after results day, (I did this) personally, I got 10A*s, but I know of people with 5A*s who got in this way - by the look of your predicted grades, you're be more than capable. Regarding vd12345, I know people who got in for non essay based subjects with B in English.

Feel free to ask any further questions on applying/moving to Latymer as an external student! :smile:

Just to clarify, you can apply twice for latymer 6th? Once before with those tests, and one after results day? Also.. Can you just apply after results day rather than take their tests? Or is taking their y12 tests neccesary. And what month do you have to take the tests in? And I would be fine if I get 6 A's/A*'s mininum with A*'s in my 4 choosen As subjects even if I get a bunch of B's right? I'm worried about subjects such as Art/french which are both irrelevant to my future and fairly difficult for me to aquire an A in.
Original post by vd12345
Just to clarify, you can apply twice for latymer 6th? Once before with those tests, and one after results day? Also.. Can you just apply after results day rather than take their tests? Or is taking their y12 tests neccesary. And what month do you have to take the tests in? And I would be fine if I get 6 A's/A*'s mininum with A*'s in my 4 choosen As subjects even if I get a bunch of B's right? I'm worried about subjects such as Art/french which are both irrelevant to my future and fairly difficult for me to aquire an A in.

Hello, it's not really like applying twice, it's more like applying once and then asking for reconsideration after results day because of course, that test doesn't really indicate someone's true academic potential - it's just a way of narrowing down. So in my case I got rejected, but on the letter it said, "if after results days you would still like to be considered, we may be able to offer you a place, if other people chose not to take up the offer or fail to meet the 6A requirements."

Yes you do have to sit the tests, otherwise you cannot be considered - these are done in January/February.

I'm going to be honest, if you don't get in via the test, it would be hard to get in with a "bunch of Bs" perhaps 2 at the least (I don't know anyone who got in with more Bs than that). Try and aim for A/A*s and you should be fine. It's not because B grades are bad (they aren't), it's because of the sheer volume of competition for those places. But by the looks of it your only worried about french and art, so you should be fine :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hello, it's not really like applying twice, it's more like applying once and then asking for reconsideration after results day because of course, that test doesn't really indicate someone's true academic potential - it's just a way of narrowing down. So in my case I got rejected, but on the letter it said, "if after results days you would still like to be considered, we may be able to offer you a place, if other people chose not to take up the offer or fail to meet the 6A requirements."

Yes you do have to sit the tests, otherwise you cannot be considered - these are done in January/February.

I'm going to be honest, if you don't get in via the test, it would be hard to get in with a "bunch of Bs" perhaps 2 at the least (I don't know anyone who got in with more Bs than that). Try and aim for A/A*s and you should be fine. It's not because B grades are bad (they aren't), it's because of the sheer volume of competition for those places. But by the looks of it your only worried about french and art, so you should be fine :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AlphaNick
depends on whether or not you wing the entry exam

is there anyway to prepare for it ?
Original post by Humzaawan123
is there anyway to prepare for it ?

Well you can look online at some practice non verbal reasoning/ verbal reasoning and I know my friend who did get in via the test but chose not to go there bought some books from Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well you can look online at some practice non verbal reasoning/ verbal reasoning and I know my friend who did get in via the test but chose not to go there bought some books from Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

could you maybe ask what books or websites he used , it would be a big help
thank you , and what subjects are you doing and how are the teachers ?

Welcome:biggrin: I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics. The teachers are good: my biology, one of my chemistry and maths teachers are excellent. My physics teacher is decent but one of my chemistry teachers isn't so good. She's obviously a true academic in her subject and she knows her stuff well, but she teaches in a really random order and jumps from one thing to the next. But the thing is, coming from a state comprehensive, I'm used to all the teachers being this way so she's just a standard teacher. Despite saying this, it is still valid to say that overall, teaching is excellent at Latymer, because no matter the teacher, you can always ask for them to see you at break and go over things 5000 times until you understand, which I don't believe you can get easily in other schools. Also, since you're in a crowd with tons of bright, friendly people, it's always possible to ask some of them, whereas in my old school there was nobody much to ask.

I think you would love it here and I hope you get in!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you , and what subjects are you doing and how are the teachers ?

You going latymer open evening at 6pm on 4th November?
Original post by vd12345
You going latymer open evening at 6pm on 4th November?

yeah , are you ?
Welcome:biggrin: I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics. The teachers are good: my biology, one of my chemistry and maths teachers are excellent. My physics teacher is decent but one of my chemistry teachers isn't so good. She's obviously a true academic in her subject and she knows her stuff well, but she teaches in a really random order and jumps from one thing to the next. But the thing is, coming from a state comprehensive, I'm used to all the teachers being this way so she's just a standard teacher. Despite saying this, it is still valid to say that overall, teaching is excellent at Latymer, because no matter the teacher, you can always ask for them to see you at break and go over things 5000 times until you understand, which I don't believe you can get easily in other schools. Also, since you're in a crowd with tons of bright, friendly people, it's always possible to ask some of them, whereas in my old school there was nobody much to ask.

I think you would love it here and I hope you get in!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha i really hope i get in too , i am planning to do biology,chemistry, maths and economics/english lit. What would you like to do at uni ?
haha i really hope i get in too , i am planning to do biology,chemistry, maths and economics/english lit. What would you like to do at uni ?

Hehe Classic: Medicine :biggrin:
You?
Hehe Classic: Medicine :biggrin:
You?

lol same:colone:

Latest