The Student Room Group

How much would a home gym cost?

Assuming I have the space (I don't) and the money (I don't), how much would one cost?

Regular equipment I use for my 5x5 strong lifts include barbells, weights for the barbell (increments from 1.25kg to 25kg, total going past 200kg would be nice), squat rack, dumbbells ranging from 10kg to 50kg, bench press, and whatever that machine is called that let's me do tricep extensions

These would be the stuff I would use (plus extra weights to account for getting stronger).

I would also probably add more things in to account for the time where I probably need to shock my body and do something else (e.g add a leg press, treadmill, elliptical machine, place to do pull ups and dips, rowing machine)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good few grand
Reply 2
For a decent home gym with new equipment you're looking at at least a grand. Need some solid flooring too. But gym equipment is the kind of thing people buy with the best of intentions, but ends up seeing little use and people get rid of it. You could probably stock up a home gym bit by bit by checking out 2nd hand websites and paying a fraction of the price (or even nothing) for perfectly good equipment.
Reply 3
Original post by iamu
Good few grand

Smith machine alone costs that :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba

who buys a smith machine?!
Reply 5
Original post by illusionz
who buys a smith machine?!

Anybody who wants a decent home gym?
Reply 6
Original post by samba

Why would you buy a smith machine?
Reply 7
Original post by iamu

Why wouldn't you?
Reply 8
Original post by samba
Why wouldn't you?

Only ever used it for shrugs and maybe the odd bench press
Reply 9
Original post by iamu

If you have a inclinable bench I suppose it would be a good idea to have a smith machine for decline bench press. I can't think of a good way to safely get into position for it at my local gym, a smithy makes it a lot safer at the expense of limiting your motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by iamu
Good few grand

I have £50 in amazon vouchers

Save that up again another 19 times and I'm sorted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by miser
For a decent home gym with new equipment you're looking at at least a grand. Need some solid flooring too. But gym equipment is the kind of thing people buy with the best of intentions, but ends up seeing little use and people get rid of it. You could probably stock up a home gym bit by bit by checking out 2nd hand websites and paying a fraction of the price (or even nothing) for perfectly good equipment.

I'm wondering about the kind of mentality of those people who get rid of it. Whether they are people who work out several times a week, or just a New Years resolution-ers

According to amazon, I can get a bench press/barbell and some weights/dumbbells for £200,a (dodgy looking) squat rack for 200ish, a treadmill for 150, a leg press for 400(?).

I suppose just over a grand is better than several grand :/

I'd probably start off with a standard barbell and weights, if I can save up, and find room that is

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Smith machines are idiotic for anything other than pull ups and inverted rows lol

For a home gym, you need a rack, a bench, a barbell, 150-200kg of plates and some adjustable weight dumbbells. A chin up/ pull up bar would be wise if your rack doesn't have one(a power rack would be advisable)

You might need some flooring aswell

You need nothing else
I bought an olympic bar and 200kg of plates for £250, power rack for £180 and an adjustable bench for £80.

Sorted
Reply 14
Original post by miser

you wont even get a decent squat rack for a grand lol
Reply 15
Original post by muzman
you wont even get a decent squat rack for a grand lol

Yeah a rack could potentially be quite expensive if you can't find a 2nd hand one.
Reply 16
Original post by 00100101
I'm wondering about the kind of mentality of those people who get rid of it. Whether they are people who work out several times a week, or just a New Years resolution-ers

According to amazon, I can get a bench press/barbell and some weights/dumbbells for £200,a (dodgy looking) squat rack for 200ish, a treadmill for 150, a leg press for 400(?).

I suppose just over a grand is better than several grand :/

I'd probably start off with a standard barbell and weights, if I can save up, and find room that is

Posted from TSR Mobile

A grand isn't so bad considering the cost of gym membership. If you're paying £40 a month for a gym, then that's £480 a year, so in a little over 2 years you would've broken even. Earlier factoring in transport costs to/from the gym. But still 2 years is quite a commitment and I'd say it's probably harder to work out consistently at home than to go to the gym.
Reply 17
IMO it's going to be around the 10 grand mark for a high end home gym with all new equipment
Reply 18
Original post by muzman
IMO it's going to be around the 10 grand mark for a high end home gym with all new equipment

That's a lot of Amazon vouchers I need to save up for...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I paid £80 and got:

180kg in plates, varying from 1k to 10kg.
6 foot straight bar
EZ curl bar
Tricpes/hammer curl bar
Pair of dumbbell bars
Flat/incline bench with benching rack and squat rack attached.
Separate decline bench.

+ A load of accessories such as lifting gloves, lifting belt, skipping rope, wrist supports etc etc

Obviously second hand, but don't think you can argue with the value. If you keep checking round on sites such as ebay/gumtree you can stumble across some cracking deals as people just wanna get rid to clear up space, and are often willing to negotiate a lower price than the price listed.

Quick Reply

Latest