The Student Room Group

University facebook groups - to add or not to add?

I've joined a facebook group for my hall of residencies. Do people generally add eachother in these groups before they start uni? I'm thinking it's a bit creepy if I just start adding people I haven't met and would make my first encounters with them more awkward. What do people usually do?
Reply 1
I've added people and have had people me. I don't see how it's creepy, kinda nice to get to know people before you move up there/plan events with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm part of my Freshers group and I've got people who are doing my subjects on my Facebook :smile: it's a good icebreaker!
Reply 3
It's definitely not creepy. I've added people and had people add me. I've also sent messages and vice versa in particular to those who will be living in the same flat as me.
Yeah I got added by this girl from Spain whose on my course and its nice to chat to her, and it's nice to think I might at least vaguely know someone else who is gonna be on my course tbh!
Reply 5
ye do it send a message saying hi as well
Reply 6
It seems I'm the only one who thinks it's a bit creepy/ weird...
I'm in a Facebook chat with my soon to be flatmates and we've all added each other...not creepy imo :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by OnionRing
I'm in a Facebook chat with my soon to be flatmates and we've all added each other...not creepy imo :smile:

No, I'd agree that if they're going to be your flatmates then it's not creepy at all. But if you're just adding random people off your course then I'd class that as a little bit creepy/ weird.
Last year I added the people in my flat as we all found each other on there!

Someone made a post saying, 'A block, Flat 1 anyone?' and that's how I saw who was in my flat and added them all :smile:

I wouldn't add anyone outside my flat though until I actually spoke to them in person.
^^^ to add to my post above,

it acts as a good ice breaker too :tongue:
Original post by Alex-Torres
I've joined a facebook group for my hall of residencies. Do people generally add eachother in these groups before they start uni? I'm thinking it's a bit creepy if I just start adding people I haven't met and would make my first encounters with them more awkward. What do people usually do?

I've added people and others have added me. It's not too creepy if you actually do some talking :smile:
Original post by JoshZ
No, I'd agree that if they're going to be your flatmates then it's not creepy at all. But if you're just adding random people off your course then I'd class that as a little bit creepy/ weird.

Oh yeah well that would be a little odd haha. I haven't done so yet but will do once I've interacted with them.
Reply 13
Original post by Alex-Torres

I agree with 'JoshZ'. If you are adding your flatmates, it's perfectly fine :smile: (you will be living with them for the entire year, so whether you add them now or later won't make any difference!). However, I would wait before adding all the people on my course - I wouldn't want to make things awkward before uni starts. It's best to get to know them in person.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm just waiting until I get there to find out who am living with. I don't know why but I'd just rather meet them in person first.
Original post by Jenn.
I agree with 'JoshZ'. If you are adding your flatmates, it's perfectly fine :smile: (you will be living with them for the entire year, so whether you add them now or later won't make any difference!). However, I would wait before adding all the people on my course - I wouldn't want to make things awkward before uni starts. It's best to get to know them in person.

Oops, I added 1 person from my course and 1 person from my hall of residencies! However, the conversation with the person on my course flowed much better than the person in my halls since we had a common talking point, and it wasn't just small talk.

I don't understand the significant difference between course mates and hall mates?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jenn.

Too late... Oops. Although I find making friends more difficult so I figured if i talk to them now, it'll be easier for me.
add if you like them and are gonna live with them. but most of those i ended up being friends with at uni just kinda happened and wasnt preplanned before uni. but it is a nice way to break the ice knowing some people before you get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending