The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

-Muslims are awesome. Atheists are awesome. No prejudice needed.
-If there are Christians that can ignore the more unsavoury parts of Leviticus because it's an old, contextualised book, there are Muslims who can recognise that you don't have to marry a Muslim in order for Allah to like you. You just have to be a good person and marry a good person. Being a Muslim/atheist is not synonymous with being a good/bad person. Allah would not prefer her marrying a Muslim who beats her over a kind atheist.
-So she wears a hijab and burqa, that is entirely her choice. She can take the parts from her faith that are consistent with her individual response to revelation. That is religious freedom.
-OMG TEENAGERS HAVING SEX seriously?
-Stop telling them to break up, they're clearly in love so telling them ain't gonna work anyway.
Wearing a hijab and burqa is like wearing glasses and sunglasses.
I feel for you OP but tbh if you're serious about each other and end up married or something, it's something that you probably would see. Maybe not often especially if you live in London but it cannot be avoided. Society seems to be going backwards instead of forward.

To those who are saying that he could be a troll because it's not a familiar situation etc. Well give him the benefit of the doubt since it does happen. Religion doesn't mean OP's girlfriend cannot feel attraction or love. She's after all human first. This could work out since OP has stated that he might be willing to convert.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3isenberg
She'll wear a hijab/burqa but would still have premarital sex with a non Muslim which is forbidden according to her faith

She seems like a plonker

Where in the OP does it say they had sex?
Original post by EatAndRevise
It's not racism, Islam is not a race.

Fine. Why is this miscellaneous unfair discrimination necessary?
Original post by Syngrone
The only way you can have this girl as your wife! and not your girlfriend is that you embrace Islam and you get married asap. Since your an athiest where most athiest are ignorant, it will be highly unlikely that things will ever work out for both of you. Convert to Islam for your own reason and not for hers. Otherwise you are completley wasting your time. She should know better that a girl friend boyfriend relationship is strictly forbidden for various reasons. I'm not suprised at all that she was treated in this way. Above all you put her into this mess and she should end it and go back to London. What is the point of a girlfriend boyfriend relationship? Nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Somehow I don't think this post is likely to entice him into Islam.
Reply 26
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Somehow I don't think this post is likely to entice him into Islam.

It's not supposed to.. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EastGuava

I do that.... :colondollar: the glasses and sunglasses thing. I have **** eyesight but like sunglasses so I wear em both ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are obviously many things she's doing which are against Islam, I.e sex before marriage. But since it's already been mentioned by other users, I will not get into that.
Anyway, don't listen to the people who are saying that it won't work out. I am from an Asian family and I have got two brother-in-laws, where one is Nigerian and the other Caucasian- both were atheists.(they're now Muslims) they're both currently happily married and have kids! So things can turn out for the best. :smile:
BUT if you're considering converting to Islam, don't do it for her, do it for yourself and if you truly love Allah.
Original post by Beret90
What if I spat in your face, I'm allowed to think as I wish right?
Freedom of expression is one thing, but there's a certain red line bro.

What... Spitting in one's face is far removed from thinking negative things about them. Spitting in one's face is perhaps analogous to swearing at someone or something, but it isn't even similar to criticising them for their beliefs. Your girlfriend believes something stupid, and she is therefore being criticised for it. I'd agree that she should be free not to be attacked verbally or otherwise in public, should she not wish to be, but 'judging' is a verb which extends to private thoughts and conversations, and one should always be free to criticise the beliefs of others privately.
Original post by AnimeCrazy
I do that.... :colondollar: the glasses and sunglasses thing. I have **** eyesight but like sunglasses so I wear em both ;P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I didn't know that's actually done but fair enough.
RE: the whole "can't get married" as he isn't Muslim responses- if the girl is Ismali then she can marry a non-Muslim according to their religious beliefs.

Additionally OP mentioned her parents live in Turkey. In Turkey it is not unusual to have Muslim girls dating other religion boys (I have many Turkish friends and my ex was also Turkish).

I just think many respondents are making assumptions about this girl's background (not deliberately as the majority of Muslims in the UK are of a South Asian background) and without further information it is difficult to state how she is acting according to or deviating from her apparent religious beliefs.
Original post by Secretnerd123

If she's going to wear a hijab, atleast tell her to fix up behave like how a muslim girl should act or take it off because she's clearly not practicing the faith how it should be

Bold: People should stop with this advice
Reply 33
Is she turkish? If so yeh i can believe. You get alot of pricks like her who have lost their identity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Stephen H
This is the kind of attitude my parents have and it's ridiculous. They hate that my girlfriend is a Muslim but why? She is a very nice person but they don't see this because they are too busy moaning about her religion. Since when does religion make two people incompatible?

Why is it acceptable for a Christian and Atheist to be together but not a Muslim or Atheist?

Lmao it's acceptable? I say Muslims and Atheists belong together. Go for it.
Reply 35
Original post by EastGuava

No.
The hell

it's not.
It's just not. Sigh.
A hijab and burqa are synonymous with and symbolic for religion, and the ideas that come from people seeing someone in them are based on that.

Sunglasses and glasses are not symbolic
of anything. :nothing:
Reply 36
Original post by ApeMob

...glasses are not symbolic of anything. :nothing:

They are symbolic of poor eyesight.
Original post by ApeMob
No.
The hell

it's not.
It's just not. Sigh.
A hijab and burqa are synonymous with and symbolic for religion, and the ideas that come from people seeing someone in them are based on that.

Sunglasses and glasses are not symbolic
of anything. :nothing:

Uhh, what I was meaning to say by that is that you don't wear the hijab and the burqa, you wear the hijab or the burqa. The glasses and sunglasses comparison mistaken because, apparently, people do wear sunglasses on top of regular glasses.
Original post by A5ko

Or sensitivity to bright light.
Reply 39
Original post by A5ko

:dry: How predictable. People wear unprescribed glasses though, and shades are worn when it's not even sunny. I've seen it. No one just wears a hijab or burka for no reason, it's always for religion. Nice try though.

Latest

Trending

Trending