The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just because somebody has a higher IQ is does not make them better people.
Reply 2
First, define clever.
Better is relative. If I can run faster than you, then does mean I'm "better" and "own" you?
Superior in what sense?? if you mean better people then no, being smart does not make you a better person.
Reply 5
Well they have superior intelligence by definition, but that's it. They are by no means better people necessarily.
Reply 6
numero sept
Better is relative. If I can run faster than you, then does mean I'm "better" and "own" you?

In running yes

In intelligence, clever people are superior to not-so-clever people

:p:
They're superior in terms of intelligence; that much is obvious. If you are to label intelligence a positive quality, then it is a thing which should be considered a good thing for a person to have.

However, there are so many different ways in which you can decide to measure a persons overall worth (even if you consider it possible to do so) that an idea of overall superiority becomes pointless. Legally, people of all levels of intelligence are equal. Morally, despite a trend for intelligence to lead to a more meaningful understanding of morality, there is no certain statement that can be made, and thus intelligence alone confers no superiority. If we are to look at a person's acheivement, again the more intelligent person is likely to acheive more, but no certain statement can be made and so the intelligent person is not naturally superior. If we are to look at a person's characteristics, intelligence is clearly very desirable, but due to all manner of other characteristics being important, no certain statement can be made about the intelligent persons superiority. And of course there are all manner of other ways you can try to gauge a persons worth.

What does such a question seek to acheive? To claim overall superiority over another person seems a bizarre concept to me. I view intelligence as a positive quality, and I am very glad I posess a good measure of it, but I see no reason to use it as an objective judge of personal value.
Reply 8
In terms of superiority, perhaps we could define a superior being as one who succeeds in life, and therefore intelligence will obviously help but there are many people inferior in intelligence to others but who have had more success in life. Superiority is such a complex issue that there are infinite ways of being superior to others. Therefore, we must then decide which ways of being superior to others are more valued than others. Such as- physical or mental superiority- which is a more superior superiority. In evolutionary terms mental intelligence is obviously a better advantage than physical superiority in that we evolved above 'lesser' creatures. Well ,thats my opinion, i think.
*deep breath*
toipot2
In running yes

In intelligence, clever people are superior to not-so-clever people

:p:

Idiot.

Someone running faster doesn't mean they are of superior "worth". And who defines what qualities denote superiority. That would be subjective. And who really has the right to determine who has "worth" or not? What IS worth, in this context?
Clever people are usually arrogant/cocky/nasty/spiteful/horrible/arseholes.
One of the above.
Not necessarily. I think it depends on upbringing as to whether a clever person is knobby or not. The cleverest guy I know is also one of the absolute nicest people I've ever met, and he's grown up in the environment where people don't care if you're clever and you don't get any special treatment, and in fact most people will make fun of you for it anyway.

But to the original question: hell no.
Reply 12
I'm more superior than all of you, except for Pig. I'm less superior to him. But more inferior. And there's some people who I'm less inferior to, but they're not here.

I'm also Mother Superior.

By the way, matt@internet, your sig is stupidly big. Why not hide the meaningless quotes in spoilertags?
matt@internet
One of the above.

Jealous much? :rolleyes:

I think you're probably confused between them being one of the above and them seeming to you like one of the above. I should imagine if you're liable to make stupid statements like that, anyone with intelligence isn't going to tolerate you for very long.

Unless of course your post is a joke (there should be a little box for 'sarcasm' you can tick when you post so people can tell) in which case forget the above.
matt@internet
One of the above.

Heh, don't stereotype and over-generalise, will you? :rolleyes: :p:
I'm sorry but that's just my opinion of the people I have met who are clever. My view of a clever person for the purpose of this thread is some one really clever. Not just smarter than me, there are plenty of them, but really clever people. Most of them I like, but I still find 'em to be one of the above. My mate Jack, cocky and a little arrogant in my opinion. Sephie, don't like her, because she's horrible. Joe. Well I can get on with him but he's still arrogant. My cousin Joel. Course I like him, but I find him to be a bit arrogant. I can't think of more that I've met at the moment. Of course when I get to uni I'll probably meet plenty of people who are clever within the confines of my definition of this thread, who are none of the above, but for the time being, of the clever people I have met now, they all have one or more of the above personality traits.
Reply 16
Consider two otherwise identical people. The more intelligent one is superior.
'Superior' is an interesting term taken to mean many things; whether you interpret it as morally more aware, or just a greater skill in a chosen discipline, its all in the definition.
One things for sure though, clever people are more likely on the whole to be more interesting people to be around, if surrounded by people of the appropriate milieu to appreciate them
Reply 18
matt@internet
blah

Cooking, trying to be more social, playing computer games, learning about computers (not the programming side but anything else, like how I can hide what I been up to on the internet, not that it matters now that I have my own laptop)

Just by using a laptop rather than a desktop computer will not hide what you've been up to on the internet.
Reply 19
wesetters
You can't be more superior. :biggrin:

DAMN! Someone beat me to some enjoyable pedantry!

Latest

Trending

Trending