The Student Room Group

Getting into App Development & Front-End Web - Go to Uni?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this :/

Howdy Ladies & Gents!

I was planning to make this post for a while. I really do need advice about my future and my parents/friends/family are definitively not the ones to ask (other than one or two of my mates), so online forum, here I am! :biggrin:

So, for past year I have been thinking of going to University to learn programming, mainly application development and front-end web. Now my problem is that I am not sure if its the best thing to do. I will be required to take out a loan and I also have zero experience in programming outside of basic HTML/CSS.

Now I am a designer who loves to design apps/websites and UI/UX but lack of programming knowledge is seriously holding me back. Would it be worth going to Uni to pick those traits up or attempt to find an apprenticeship?

I hate to work on designs that I am ordered to do, I usually prefer working on my own projects. Maybe I could go down the field of a ''Design Director'' however with lack of experience that will not happen anytime soon.

Thoughts? Is Uni worth taking out a loan for and acquiring programming knowledge? I know I can learn it all at home but the comfort of my home makes me slightly lazy (i really need to fix that) that and I simply cannot bare living with my parents anymore at the age of 20. It's Uni now or by end of 21st otherwise id be getting slightly "too old".

One great benefit of Uni is meeting like minded people who you could collaborate with and potentially start a business with. That and "The Uni Experience" *wink wink*

I was also thinking of gathering all my savings and moving either back to my motherland (Slovakia) or to Sweden but that's a whole another matter.

Previous Education:

Graphic Design BTEC Level 3
Key Skills Maths/English level 1,2 and I believe 3 as well (gotta dig it up from my dimplomas..)

I might need more UCAS points to actually be eligble for Uni (baah my horrible choices).

Previous Work:

Social Network "BEAT100" for past two-three years. Social Media Marketing, System Administration, dealing with users, tickets, bugs and design here and there :3

Some of my Design :3
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

I live in the UK fyi.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending