The Student Room Group

Arranging school experience

Hi

How do you go about arranging school experience?
Best bet is to write a letter to schools you already have a connection with, such as ones you've been to :smile:
I just rang some local schools. One took me immediately, the other wanted me to email someone about it.
If you say you are a volunteer rather than explain you need a placement as part of your course you are more likely to be accepted. They can only take a limited number of placements but as many volunteers as they like xx
Original post by ClaireBear83
If you say you are a volunteer rather than explain you need a placement as part of your course you are more likely to be accepted. They can only take a limited number of placements but as many volunteers as they like xx

Neither of these statements are true.
I'm actually based abroad at the moment. Are PGCE or similar courses likely to accept experience I could get here?
Original post by sunfowers01
I'm actually based abroad at the moment. Are PGCE or similar courses likely to accept experience I could get here?

Unfortunately not.
Reply 7
Original post by sunfowers01

I would say it depends on where you are based, and the course you apply for. I am from Ireland, and I was accepted onto a primary PGCE with just Irish experience
Original post by Mr M
Neither of these statements are true.

M
This is what I faced when trying to arrange a placement. Schools had a waiting list for "placements" but for volunteers there seemed to be no limits to their numbers and no wait for a place. I tried every school in my area and the last one I got a place at after offering myself as a volunteer on the advice of one of the teachers. May not be a rule but it seems to be a guideline some schools follow.
I emailed a few local schools and was able to secure both a regular once a week voluntary position and then a last minute week long placement. Be patient and contact as many as you can, some didn't even respond as they are very busy.

In regards to experience abroad...in my experience, having this is impressive and definitely adds to your appeal, but it does not count towards or replace the required experience in a UK state school.
Yep, write/email your former school teachers, and/or do through the TDA website, they usually assign you a mentor and it would be great if they can set something up for you, sometimes it starts with a day of experience and then you can extend it from there.
I'm also looking to arrange some school experience but unsure what to put in the letter/how to word it! any tips?
Original post by charl0tte90
I'm also looking to arrange some school experience but unsure what to put in the letter/how to word it! any tips?

Explain your situation, explain why that school, explain how it would help you and the school. Be polite!
Reply 13
I am just about to start my PGCE, I had numerous different teaching experiences prior to applying to do a final placement to help with my knowledge and application. I wrote letters to around 25 schools (in Cambridge, bear in mind that it was full of students wanting to do a similar thing.) I explained who I was, what I was studying, that I wanted to spend 2 days a week in a primary school for the entire year and what I wanted to get out of it. (If you can I'd advise spending an extended period like this or even a term as it demonstrates that you understand the school year and are also more trusted and given more responsibility over time, including being allowed to teach a bit.) Also explain what you can give to the school. I ended up in a lovely school in which the head gave me a grilling in the interview (I heard back from 17 schools and had many offers) the interview was terrifying.

What I learnt was: - they appreciate a letter more than email or phone call, when I was integrated with staff I found out that they reject email or phone call requests
- be as flexible as you can be
- be willing to do anything and you will benefit, I managed to train alongside a reading recovery teacher
- look into the school and how respected they are, your experience will help you on your PGCE application

Good luck :smile:
Thank you so much for the advice! I've written a draft, I just hope its okay!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending