The Student Room Group

AS Level Grades on UCAS

In one of my AS-Level grades I got a U. I don't want to re-take the subject as I hated it so much and I just want to forget about it. However, I naturally don't want to declare this on my UCAS form. Do I HAVE to declare it on UCAS, or because it isn't classified as an actual grade can I get away with not putting it on?

If the former applies (I have to declare it), isn't there something called "uncashing" where you can reject the grade and don't have to use it?

Would really appreciate some advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by snikutsmullac
In one of my AS-Level grades I got a U. I don't want to re-take the subject as I hated it so much and I just want to forget about it. However, I naturally don't want to declare this on my UCAS form. Do I HAVE to declare it on UCAS, or because it isn't classified as an actual grade can I get away with not putting it on?

If the former applies (I have to declare it), isn't there something called "uncashing" where you can reject the grade and don't have to use it?

Would really appreciate some advice.

If you get a U, you don't have to put it on UCAS. You can just forget about it and pretend it never happened :biggrin:
Original post by Adam'
If you get a U, you don't have to put it on UCAS. You can just forget about it and pretend it never happened :biggrin:

Are you absolutely sure?
You don't have to put it on if you don't want to. :smile:
Reply 4
Are you absolutely sure?

Yep :smile: Double check with school if you want to be 100% sure yourself.
Reply 5
what about an E, do you have to use that??
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
You don't have to put it on if you don't want to. :smile:

Haha, I don't want to. Who would? :wink:

Original post by Adam'
Yep :smile: Double check with school if you want to be 100% sure yourself.

I'll double check but if you're right, that is a HUGE relief. I was ****ting it because the subject I got a U in, I got an A* in at GCSE so how bad would that look?
Original post by carrot28

An E is an actual grade, so you would have to I'm afraid :/ a U is an unclassified and doesn't count as a grade at all.
Haha, I don't want to. Who would? :wink:

I'll double check but if you're right, that is a HUGE relief. I was ****ting it because the subject I got a U in, I got an A* in at GCSE so how bad would that look?

Haha fair enough.
What subject was it, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by carrot28

An E is a pass AS so I think you might need to declare that but I'm not 100% sure.
Haha fair enough.
What subject was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Chemistry.
Chemistry.

You're definitely dropping it this year?
You're definitely dropping it this year?

Without a shadow of a doubt, yes. It is the bane of my existence!

And I want to do Law at university, so it's not really needed either.
Without a shadow of a doubt, yes. It is the bane of my existence!

And I want to do Law at university, so it's not really needed either.

You just did not say that. :tongue: Was it AQA?

Yep, not needed. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
You just did not say that. :tongue: Was it AQA?

Yep, not needed. :smile:

I loved it in secondary school, I moved somewhere else for A-Levels and really did not like the teacher and the way the course was being delivered, I just lost my interest and enthusiasm in the subject and by the end just really didn't care... It was Edexcel.
I loved it in secondary school, I moved somewhere else for A-Levels and really did not like the teacher and the way the course was being delivered, I just lost my interest and enthusiasm in the subject and by the end just really didn't care... It was Edexcel.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes teachers can just kill your passion for a subject. I have always thought that A levels are all about self-teaching. Sad but true.
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes teachers can just kill your passion for a subject. I have always thought that A levels are all about self-teaching. Sad but true.

I agree with you about the self-teaching; I wish I realised that at the beginning of AS year though! Never mind, what's done is done.
I agree with you about the self-teaching; I wish I realised that at the beginning of AS year though! Never mind, what's done is done.

Aww, at least you know now. Best of luck with A2! :smile:
I actually think at one part of the application process you DO need to put it in. One of the mods posted all info on UCAS, so maybe they can help.
Original post by toxiictests
I actually think at one part of the application process you DO need to put it in. One of the mods posted all info on UCAS, so maybe they can help.

Here you are:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719

It's a complex issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending