The Student Room Group

Computer Networks and Communications BSc Honours any good? Or Comp Sci Degree?

Hey guys I opened a previous thread about kickstarting my career and have decided I'll do what I should have done and take an Access course then go University or do a HND and a top up year.

My dad has consistently recommended I do Computer Science although I'm not great at Maths and as far as I know, a good understanding of maths is vital to be able to achieve a 2:1 Comp Sci degree. I was looking to do a Computer Networks and Communications BSc Honours or something similar since my limited work experience was more suited to someone looking to work in Tech Support and possibly Sys Admin in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thegalacticone
Hey guys I opened a previous thread about kickstarting my career and have decided I'll do what I should have done and take an Access course then go University or do a HND and a top up year.

My dad has consistently recommended I do Computer Science although I'm not great at Maths and as far as I know, a good understanding of maths is vital to be able to achieve a 2:1 Comp Sci degree. I was looking to do a Computer Networks and Communications BSc Honours or something similar since my limited work experience was more suited to someone looking to work in Tech Support and possibly Sys Admin in the future.

Sent from my HTC One

If you had the mathematical ability then I'd say go for CompSci degree, then do something specific at Masters, but if you don't then a Computer Networks and Communications degree would be good (I'm doing a Computer Networks degree), it's definitely high paying. :smile:

If you have any questions then feel free to quote me :smile:
Original post by Binary Freak
If you had the mathematical ability then I'd say go for CompSci degree, then do something specific at Masters, but if you don't then a Computer Networks and Communications degree would be good (I'm doing a Computer Networks degree), it's definitely high paying. :smile:

If you have any questions then feel free to quote me :smile:

Thank you, is there much difference between the two? (Computer Networks and Communications vs Computer Networks) I going to look at the modules and see what the differences are but you seem knowledgeable in this field so thought I'd ask :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you, is there much difference between the two? I going to look at the modules and see what the differences are but you seem knowledgeable in this field so thought I'd ask :biggrin:

Well Computer Networking is more focused on the networking side, so this'll be the inclusion of devices such as bridges, hubs, routers, and the different WAN/LAN technologies etc, etc

Communications will involve more of delivery of the digital data/messages, and it'll probably have more focus on the telecommunications and e-commerce side of things. You'll probably look into SMS(Short Message Service), email, and VoIP (Voice over IP), telephone, radio and television, etc, etc.

Many places use the terms interchangeably anyway, so I don't think the difference in this case will particularly matter. :smile:

If you have any other questions just ask! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you, is there much difference between the two? (Computer Networks and Communications vs Computer Networks) I going to look at the modules and see what the differences are but you seem knowledgeable in this field so thought I'd ask :biggrin:

Sorry, I misread the post, let me make adjustments :smile:
Sorry, I misread the post, let me make adjustments :smile:

No worries, I actually made a edit after posting lol
(edited 8 years ago)

It's been edited, so you can see it now. :smile:
It's been edited, so you can see it now. :smile:

Thank you. Do you think getting into network security as something worthwhile. The network security degree I have looked at has a lot of modules from the Network and Communication degree except you can't pick optional modules at year 2 & 3. You must do the security based modules like cryptography etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you. Do you think getting into network security as something worthwhile. The network security degree I have looked at has a lot of modules from the Network and Communication degree except you can't pick optional modules at year 2 & 3. You must do the security based modules like cryptography etc

Sent from my HTC One

It's definitely worthwhile, but not many places will accept a fresh graduate onto a security job.. Unless you went for something like a Junior Penetration Tester, or Security Consultancy.. Network security has good pay, very good pay :gthumb:
It's definitely worthwhile, but not many places will accept a fresh graduate onto a security job.. Unless you went for something like a Junior Penetration Tester, or Security Consultancy.. Network security has good pay, very good pay :gthumb:

Hmm, would doing something like graduate tech support to get work experience then moving into a security a job more likely. Going to look at the skills they want for security roles :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hmm, would doing something like graduate tech support to get work experience then moving into a security a job more likely. Going to look at the skills they want for security roles :smile:

Sent from my HTC One

Some of the skills you need, will depend on the role you're applying for, such as digital forensics, penetration testing and just general security implementations engineer.

Personally I'm stuck between digital forensics and penetration testing :tongue:
Some of the skills you need, will depend on the role you're applying for, such as digital forensics, penetration testing and just general security implementations engineer.

Personally I'm stuck between digital forensics and penetration testing :tongue:

Just had a short read up on both and they sound really intriguing. Penetration testing and Deliberately breaking in to fix weak spots sounds cool and digital forensics seems really engaging. Well I have a lot to think about before any of this, still need to be accepted on my Access course lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Just had a short read up on both and they sound really intriguing. Penetration testing and Deliberately breaking in to fix weak spots sounds cool and digital forensics seems really engaging. Well I have a lot to think about before any of this, still need to be accepted on my Access course lol

Sent from my HTC One

Haha, hopefully you will, you've definitely got the passion for it! :gthumb:

Where do you plan on doing the access course, if you don't mind me asking :P

I'm trying to complete a few qualifications before I finish my first year of university :smile:
Haha, hopefully you will, you've definitely got the passion for it! :gthumb:

Where do you plan on doing the access course, if you don't mind me asking :P

I'm trying to complete a few qualifications before I finish my first year of university :smile:

Thanks :smile:, I have applied to City of Westminster college
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks :smile:, I have applied to City of Westminster college and The College of North East London

Sent from my HTC One

Sounds good!

Good luck on the access course. :smile:
Sounds good!

Good luck on the access course. :smile:

Sent from my HTC One

To op, I was in your position this time last year. I wanted to go back to do Access course and do Computer network degree however unexpected happen. I got in uni and went for Business Information Technology degree and never looked back ever since. Go for what you want to do and stick with it till the end. Good luck.
Hi Binary freak, which uni you go to?. If you don't mind the question.
Original post by Vibenation
To op, I was in your position this time last year. I wanted to go back to do Access course and do Computer network degree however unexpected happen. I got in uni and went for Business Information Technology degree and never looked back ever since. Go for what you want to do and stick with it till the end. Good luck.
Hi Binary freak, which uni you go to?. If you don't mind the question.

I don't mind.

I'll be attending Glyndwr in September.. Apparently I have the entry of foundation year (I believe it's a mistake since I was going to be doing it) :dontknow:

What about yourself? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't mind.

I'll be attending Glyndwr in September.. Apparently I have the entry of foundation year (I believe it's a mistake since I was going to be doing it) :dontknow:

What about yourself? :smile:

I am in Leeds Metropolitan University, its not an end of the world. Uni goes so fast. Make the most of it, you looking forward to foundation year? and Wales should be cool place to stay.

Also are you a fan of anime by any chance?
Original post by Vibenation
I am in Leeds Metropolitan University, its not an end of the world. Uni goes so fast. Make the most of it, you looking forward to foundation year? and Wales should be cool place to stay.

I shouldn't be, the admissions officer just made a mistake with the application. I won't be at university for long anyway, since I'll be doing 2/3 years (depending if they do put me on the foundation year)

Yes, I am a big fan of anime, how about you?!? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending