The Student Room Group

I need advice...first car?!

Ok so basically I need to buy a car and i'm 18 so i'm aware my insurance will be £2,000+.

Do you have any idea what type of cars are good for those only starting out?
My price range is around 3.5-4k and I'm told that I should ensure the car's mileage is roughly 12,000 a year (depending on the age of the car), ensure it's eco-friendly, is no more than 5/6 years old and has an engine no more than 1.2..

I really like the Volkswagen Golfs having completed my driving test in that car. Although I do want the car to be nice I also want one that's cheap.. any recommendations or experiences with cars?

Thank you! :colondollar:
Bump....
Reply 2
Original post by NicolaM
Ok so basically I need to buy a car and i'm 18 so i'm aware my insurance will be £2,000+.

My price range is around 3.5-4k and I'm told that I should ensure the car's mileage is roughly 12,000 a year (depending on the age of the car), ensure it's eco-friendly, is no more than 5/6 years old and has an engine no more than 1.2..

I really like the Volkswagen Golfs having completed my driving test in that car. Although I do want the car to be nice I also want one that's cheap.. any recommendations or experiences with cars?

Okay I was just given a fiat panda 30000 miles which cost £3100. My insurance is £800 with Tesco the box insurance which includes business use which means yours would probably be cheaper than that.
It's a 1.2 litre engine and does like 40-50 miles to the gallon so petrol isn't too bad.
It's not a particularly glamorous car which is one reason insurance isn't so bad! I've grown to rather like it :tongue:
Oh and I think it's avout 3 years old.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NicolaM

Volkwagen Polo, Ford Fiesta and Ka, Vauxhall Corsa (the newer models), Kia Picanto

Quick Reply

Latest