The Student Room Group

No official document? IB prediction enough for Oxford?

Hey guys, I hope your hoidays have all been relaxing yet productive.
I have some questions about particularly Oxford.
My problem is that I came to England in Sixth Form and therefore have no GCSE's whatsoever. The equivalent in my country (Germany) is not official either but a grade which differs from school to school. On top of that my grades were not even good (equivalent to 3A*s 5 A's rest B's).
In Sixth Form in the UK I started doing the IB and I am now getting predicted around 43-44 with 777 in HL (which are Mathematics, Physics, Economics).
I am applying for Engineering Science in Oxford. I heard you have to do the PAT for admission and looking at the past papers I am confident getting a high score in this.
My questions now are:
1) Would it be a problem if I have no official document proving my ability? Will a 43 prediction and a good PAT be enough or are the missing GCSE's a problem?
2) Should I even include my grades from Germany since they are subjective too and not brilliant as I said?
3) Any other tips to increase chances?

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
Original post by Tobi7623
Hey guys, I hope your hoidays have all been relaxing yet productive.
I have some questions about particularly Oxford.
My problem is that I came to England in Sixth Form and therefore have no GCSE's whatsoever. The equivalent in my country (Germany) is not official either but a grade which differs from school to school. On top of that my grades were not even good (equivalent to 3A*s 5 A's rest B's).
In Sixth Form in the UK I started doing the IB and I am now getting predicted around 43-44 with 777 in HL (which are Mathematics, Physics, Economics).
I am applying for Engineering Science in Oxford. I heard you have to do the PAT for admission and looking at the past papers I am confident getting a high score in this.
My questions now are:
1) Would it be a problem if I have no official document proving my ability? Will a 43 prediction and a good PAT be enough or are the missing GCSE's a problem?
2) Should I even include my grades from Germany since they are subjective too and not brilliant as I said?
3) Any other tips to increase chances?

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

1. No, Oxford knows that not everyone takes the GCSEs. Your UCAS form, predicted grade, PAT score and interview (if invited) are fine.
2. Oxford won't consider them as it only considers standardised exams.
Reply 2
Original post by amol_chalis447
1. No, Oxford knows that not everyone takes the GCSEs. Your UCAS form, predicted grade, PAT score and interview (if invited) are fine.
2. Oxford won't consider them as it only considers standardised exams.

Hey thanks for your quick reply! Are you sure about that? I wonder where you get this information from haha could you tell me?
Sounds very good though!
Reply 3
Hey thanks for your quick reply! Are you sure about that? I wonder where you get this information from haha could you tell me?
Sounds very good though!

I know it's hard not to worry but if you think about it, it's logical that Oxford can't rule out applications from people who don't have standardised exams at age 16 - that would eliminate huge numbers of international applicants. If it helps, have a look at https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/513/kw/GCSE - the question is specific to medicine but medicine is widely acknowledged to the course which weights GCSEs most heavily so if they are clear that you can apply for medicine without GCSEs, you can believe that it's OK for other subjects as well.
Sounds very good though!

Simple logic. If you go to their page on International Qualifications, every single qualification there is a standardised exam. It stands to reason that since your GCSE equivalent wasn't standardised, it wouldn't be in that list.

And I know all the things you need because I've just applied last year myself, so I'm well versed with the application process :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Sounds very good though!

How were your grades compared to others in your previous school? It might be helpful for your reference to briefly mention your academic history prior to joining your current school, especially if you were one of the top students in your previous school (regardless of what your grades were like).
Reply 6
Original post by astro67
I know it's hard not to worry but if you think about it, it's logical that Oxford can't rule out applications from people who don't have standardised exams at age 16 - that would eliminate huge numbers of international applicants. If it helps, have a look at https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/513/kw/GCSE - the question is specific to medicine but medicine is widely acknowledged to the course which weights GCSEs most heavily so if they are clear that you can apply for medicine without GCSEs, you can believe that it's OK for other subjects as well.

Original post by amol_chalis447
Simple logic. If you go to their page on International Qualifications, every single qualification there is a standardised exam. It stands to reason that since your GCSE equivalent wasn't standardised, it wouldn't be in that list.

And I know all the things you need because I've just applied last year myself, so I'm well versed with the application process :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds awesome and takes my fear, thanks a lot for your replies guys!

Original post by BJack
How were your grades compared to others in your previous school? It might be helpful for your reference to briefly mention your academic history prior to joining your current school, especially if you were one of the top students in your previous school (regardless of what your grades were like).

Hey, I was in the top 5% in Mathematics and Physics but not even in the top 50% for subjects like Geography or Art. The main reason for that was that German schools heavily value your participation and contributions in lessons. Do you reckon I should include a document about my academic history in this case or not?
Reply 7
also 43 points with 7,7,7 at HL is so incredibly strong (and not necessarily that common tbh; people have gotten in with only one 7 at HL) and with a strong PAT you would get an interview, and once you've got the interview, you're on your own. so i would say it's worth it.
Reply 8
Original post by mnina19
also 43 points with 7,7,7 at HL is so incredibly strong (and not necessarily that common tbh; people have gotten in with only one 7 at HL) and with a strong PAT you would get an interview, and once you've got the interview, you're on your own. so i would say it's worth it.

Hey cheers for the answer, yeah I thought that as well but it is only a prediction not a proper result. Most schools give really high predictions to get more people to good unis. But with a good PAT I should be fine and then it's all about the interview I reckon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending