The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economic history entry reqs

Currently teaching in France for a year and hoping to apply for economic history at lse this sept/oct. Although the entry requirements do state that only AAB is required, would A*AB (already achieved) make up for relatively poor gcse grades (8 As 3Bs) or would it be dismissed due to a lack of A*s? Thanks
anyone?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
What subjects did you take?
Original post by zzaacc
What subjects did you take?

eng lit (a*) history (a) and econ was a B... messed up unit 3 got a D.
Original post by buyersremorse
eng lit (a*) history (a) and econ was a B... messed up unit 3 got a D.

Looks ok. But, you should email them directly to check. They may say it depends on the cohort of applicants applying that year. But, please demonstrate passion and understanding of what the course is about, including why LSE, which you can do some research on.
Reply 5
I'm a 2nd year econ history undergrad. Your grades are ok but they're likely to be a bit below average in LSE terms unfortunately. The entry requirements may be AAB but in reality most people have better grades with higher UCAS tariffs than this, see unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10004063FT-V300-UBEH/. As ever with LSE there's a lot of people going for every place, though it's not quite as bad for econ history as it is for some other degrees (only ~10 applicants per place last year).

That said you are still in with a shot if you can put together a good personal statement that shows a real interest in economic history. I know that advice is probably not all that helpful on its own but they will be able to tell if you have a passion for the subject, it will show through. Have a look at the personal statement guidelines they give on the LSE econ history prospective applicants page. You've also just about got time if you wanted to maybe try and pick up a few (related[!]) books off the indicative reading lists for some of the EH courses on the calender to write about if it came to it, though that may not come across entirely convincingly (of course if you've already got a particular area you're interested in which you've read around and could write convincingly about, that would be ideal).

My own grades were not really stellar by LSE standards but I think the fact that I managed to pull together a good personal statement may have made up for it. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending