The Student Room Group

got to UCL for the name? or go to BRUNEL?

HI EVERYONE,

i missed out on my 1st choice uni UCL, and got my insurance Brunel. for engineering

For my course, UCL is ranked 17th and Brunel ranked 20th so not a big difference.

but OVERALL UCL is 3rd in the country and Brunel is 44th i think...

Brunels civil engineering department is quite good, but i had my heart set on UCL...

ON UCL's website, it says that graduates get equipped with skills to work in mary other industries i.e Banking this is what it says: GIS, finance, law, entrepreneurship and management.

but with brunel it doesnt say anyhting like that and it might not be flexible...

should i retry getting into UCL or just go to Brunel

advice appreciated!
Reply 1
Brunel is not a bad university! It is perfectly fine to go Brunel. I got rejected from UCl too this year and am now going Surrey for an admittedly more interesting course! Think about it, you don't have the prestige of one of the best unis in the country BUT you will have less stress, more fun, and a generally more enjoyable time at Brunel!
Original post by hugoalmeida
HI EVERYONE,

i missed out on my 1st choice uni UCL, and got my insurance Brunel. for engineering

For my course, UCL is ranked 17th and Brunel ranked 20th so not a big difference.

but OVERALL UCL is 3rd in the country and Brunel is 44th i think...

Brunels civil engineering department is quite good, but i had my heart set on UCL...

ON UCL's website, it says that graduates get equipped with skills to work in mary other industries i.e Banking this is what it says: GIS, finance, law, entrepreneurship and management.

but with brunel it doesnt say anyhting like that and it might not be flexible...

should i retry getting into UCL or just go to Brunel

advice appreciated!

UCL's engineering department is below-par for its reputation. You'll struggle to get into banking with Brunel but you'll be fine elsewhere
Reply 3
Original post by Mike_123
UCL's engineering department is below-par for its reputation. You'll struggle to get into banking with Brunel but you'll be fine elsewhere

It's still UCL though. OP, I would personally choose UCL, but it depends on what you're looking for tbh;

As said above, want less stress, more free time? Then Brunel.
Want a degree from a prestigious university, even if that entails more effort on your part? Then UCL.

That's how I'd take it.
Original post by *Stefan*
It's still UCL though. OP, I would personally choose UCL, but it depends on what you're looking for tbh;

As said above, want less stress, more free time? Then Brunel.
Want a degree from a prestigious university, even if that entails more effort on your part? Then UCL.

That's how I'd take it.

OP doesn't have an offer from UCL and has to reapply. Not worth the gap year imo.
Reply 5
Original post by Mike_123
OP doesn't have an offer from UCL and has to reapply. Not worth the gap year imo.

Yeh did not read the line about missing his first choice.

Still though, I -personally- would take a gap year IF I was confident enough in securing a place next time.

That if would be, for instance, being predicted ABB, getting a rejection and then achieving AAB+ or something similar.

Otherwise, OP, if nothing has changed, I doubt UCL would make you an offer next time round.
Reply 6

Still though, I -personally- would take a gap year IF I was confident enough in securing a place next time.

That if would be, for instance, being predicted ABB, getting a rejection and then achieving AAB+ or something similar.

Otherwise, OP, if nothing has changed, I doubt UCL would make you an offer next time round.

hi, i must thank you guys for all the positive reponses and I understand where you are coming from... im interested in Brunel and I think I will enjoy it, but the fexibilty of the course at UCL, its location and its reputation keeps dragging me in
Reply 7

also, another thing is the fact that my parents wont let me take year out and just do exams, instead they want me to go uni or go back into school full time!...

but i still dont have a definite answer if my school is letting me back or not... my dad even sat down with me today 1v1 and said "your going to that uni, you can get a masters somewhere else if you want" so it was abit forcified... in essence, if my school dont let me back i'd be forced to go brunel!:confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hugoalmeida
also, another thing is the fact that my parents wont let me take year out and just do exams, instead they want me to go uni or go back into school full time!...

but i still dont have a definite answer if my school is letting me back or not... my dad even sat down with me today 1v1 and said "your going to that uni, you can get a masters somewhere else if you want" so it was abit forcified... in essence, if my school dont let me back i'd be forced to go brunel

I understand your father's position but if you really, really want to reply elsewhere (in the case you're not quite happy with Brunel) you should try to explain him further. If you ask politely I am sure he'd be willing to at least think about it.

In any case, if you feel that you would have a good time at Brunel, socially and academically, then you should consider going.

Sorry not to be able to help further, but it's really up to you to decide.
Reply 9
BUMP!

Quick Reply

Latest