The Student Room Group

Grades To Become A Teacher

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lemon_sherbert123
What if it's the 30 year olds first sitting. Also a 30 year old will have more to balance work family etc so actually maybe of a higher calibre.

What if it is his second sitting and he got a grade D first time.

What if the student is living by himself working night shifts...etc. We are talking about how good they are at the subject not their life skills...
Original post by SherlockHolmes
But that person has taken a year longer...

Are you saying someone who achieves an A first time is of the same calibre as someone who achieves the same grade A when they are say 30?

So a 9-year-old getting into university is always going to be incredibly smarter than Einstein?

So by having a very good bachelor's degree, I'm always going to be academically superior to Vice-Chancellor Prof Lap-chee Tsui who's now tipped to be a future Nobel Prize winner because he's got a third back then?

So you can be sure that a GCSE taken 16 years ago is more reflective of a person's current ability than a GCSE taken 5 months ago?

What's the point of universities then? What's the point of a-levels then? What's the point of GCSEs then? What's the point of secondary schools then? What's the point even of primary schools then?

Let's just judge everybody academically by the kindergarten they have managed to get into and use that as a reference for their continuing ability in everything even when they are 90.

What if the student is living by himself working night shifts...etc. We are talking about how good they are at the subject not their life skills...

14 years ago he got a D. Honestly he will most likely be of a higher calibre. Shows commitment and fact they care about their education. Honestly most people saying a levels show so much haven't graduated and met the real world. No one gives anything about your a levels. If you said in an Intervuew to people I work with I got X a levels they would look bemused. Once you graduate it's degree and experience. As they don't care how you worked 4 years ago. If you say grad schemes ask for x points. It's to limit the applications. No more no less this is a well known fact if you work in finance

The keyword's there. It's about the present, not the past.

Your GCSE done a year ago shows how good you were, someone's GCSE done this year shows how good he is​.
Original post by clh_hilary
So a 9-year-old getting into university is always going to be incredibly smarter than Einstein?

So by having a very good bachelor's degree, I'm always going to be academically superior to Vice-Chancellor Prof Lap-chee Tsui who's now tipped to be a future Nobel Prize winner because he's got a third back then?

So you can be sure that a GCSE taken 16 years ago is more reflective of a person's current ability than a GCSE taken 5 months ago?

What's the point of universities then? What's the point of a-levels then? What's the point of GCSEs then? What's the point of secondary schools then? What's the point even of primary schools then?

Let's just judge everybody academically by the kindergarten they have managed to get into and use that as a reference for their continuing ability in everything even when they are 90.

This is coming from people who have never worked post degree. No one cares about your a levels. If u mention them you'd get a strange look. As you should have more to offer :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Then that's a good result for them.

They've shown improvement and have made progress but then consider the level of progress made, in that same time frame, by those people who got it right the first time.

There's nothing terribly wrong about getting a D grade and then resitting the year after to get a B or higher.

Although, inevitably, that sort of person is going to be of a lower standard than a person who got it right the first time. This is because that person is now at the capability that they should have been at one year ago, whereas someone else is now a years worth of learning ahead.

There's also nothing terribly wrong with teachers having a D grade at A-Level teaching the same subject. However, if we want the next generation of students to be coming from the pinnacle of worldwide education systems, there are much, much better candidates to be teachers.

How do you know that person is at a lower standard when they both carry the same qualification of an A at grade. Just because they got lower in the past, you don't know the circumstances. Firstly, the candidate might have gotten the D grade in the A level whilst taking them in year 11. Why is all of a sudden that considered a poor candidate even if a couple of years later they retook to get an A. They also might not have re-took and did a foundation year or another qualification to enable them to do a degree. All if this does not necessarily mean that the candidate was ever behind others. If they wanted to re-take they could do it along side their degree as well.

Finally, so what if somebody is a year behind? Yes that might mean a lower current standard than somebody else, but then that somebody else is also going to be a lower standard than another. Are you hating on gap-year applicants as well, just because they could be a year ahead? It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with those that are a year behind as long as they are of an acceptable level while they teach.
This is coming from people who have never worked post degree. No one cares about your a levels. If u mention them you'd get a strange look. As you should have more to offer :smile:

Well this is TSR, what do you expect?
Well this is TSR, what do you expect?

That's true. There must be a few students who work or have a small amount of common sense.
That's true. There must be a few students who work or have a small amount of common sense.

I do need to say there have been employers who asked for my school-leaving certificates though. But then I teach/tutor, and the more important thing is that they never talked about them. I think it's more of a formality. I did have a job that required me to enter my grades but then that's for exam paper marking.
I do need to say there have been employers who asked for my school-leaving certificates though. But then I teach/tutor, and the more important thing is that they never talked about them. I think it's more of a formality. I did have a job that required me to enter my grades but then that's for exam paper marking.

Isn't that proof that you have a C maths English. Plus some sort of further education. Never heard of a level grades being talked about in the office I work at or any interviews I've had or done.

He could be. The 9 year old is an anomaly so he is no use in your argument (a pathetic one too).

Again, he is an anomaly. How many people who get a third class get a Nobel Prize? Well done on name dropping a random person and thinking he applies to everyone...

Well obviously the two have the same knowledge now because they have the same grade...
My point is the person who has managed to achieve the grade first time obviously has a better understanding. If I took my GCSEs again I'm sure I would do much better but that's not the point. GCSEs are designed for 16 year olds not older.

This just makes no sense and doesn't link to above.

That's just being ridiculous. No-where have I suggested that.
(edited 9 years ago)
It does depend on the situation, but the situation of this very minute, not 7 years ago.

Yes, of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only that it's nothing to do with 'logic' or 'common sense'. But rather, 'ignorance'.

Subject knowledge is only a part of being a good teacher, and if know anything about education, you would probably know it. This is ignoring also the fact that good teachers can teach with materials provided to them, which can compensate their disadvantages in subject knowledge. Or the fact that two grades in GCSE 6-7 years ago cannot possibly speak of anything realistically.

To quote myself from earlier: "Mediocrity will only inspire mediocrity, you need excellence to inspire excellence". The education system would benefit greatly from a influx of higher attaining individuals rather than the bargain bucket low achieving bunch. The government can't afford to dangle attractive salaries to these individuals but it would be a marvelous idea.

If you think GCSEs are irrelevant, tell me why medicine courses value them so highly? It's because they show excellence in their time-management, dedication and all other attributes in addition to subject knowledge. It shows the admissions staff the qualities innate in the that particular human being.

You can take this example and examine it however you want "Hilary" but there's only one comparison which needs to be made. If good GCSEs imply a person who has the above qualities, what sort of person do you think someone who achieves bad grades have?

A lackluster approach to education which is an inherent characteristic of the individual, which will project onto the students.

Resitting an exam won't change that.

PS: Don't give me crap about extenuating circumstances. Those are far and few between.
PPS: I heard you're a tutor/teacher. Inferiority complex or what?
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
To quote myself from earlier: "Mediocrity will only inspire mediocrity, you need excellence to inspire excellence". The education system would benefit greatly from a influx of higher attaining individuals rather than the bargain bucket low achieving bunch. The government can't afford to dangle attractive salaries to these individuals but it would be a marvelous idea.

If you think GCSEs are irrelevant, tell me why medicine courses value them so highly? It's because they show excellence in their time-management, dedication and all other attributes in addition to subject knowledge. It shows the admissions staff the qualities innate in the that particular human being.

You can take this example and examine it however you want "Hilary" but there's only one comparison which needs to be made. If good GCSEs imply a person who has the above qualities, what sort of person do you think someone who achieves bad grades have?

A lackluster approach to education which is an inherent characteristic of the individual, which will project onto the students.

Resitting an exam won't change that.

PS: Don't give me crap about extenuating circumstances. Those are far and few between.
PPS: I heard you're a tutor/teacher. Inferiority complex or what?

It's lacklustre, not lackluster. You have also used quotation marks inappropriately. As someone who was previously responsible for senior level recruitment I would have thrown an application out for that kind of literacy. Would you like, therefore, to be judged on these mistakes forever? Oh, and please don't give me any crap about extenuating circumstances.
There is something seriously wrong with a country in which someone can become a teacher in a subject which he failed at in high school.

*facepalms*
Original post by Bobble1987
It's lacklustre, not lackluster. You have also used quotation marks inappropriately. As someone who was previously responsible for senior level recruitment I would have thrown an application out for that kind of literacy. Would you like, therefore, to be judged on these mistakes forever? Oh, and please don't give me any crap about extenuating circumstances.

You had no reply to the above so you decided to point out his spelling mistake...

You have lost this debate. Give up. It's over.
Reply 96
Extenuating circumstances do exist, but they are rare. For some students, Ds really are the best grades they can get in GCSEs and A-Levels. I think those students should not become teachers, for obvious reasons (lack of intellectual ability and/or mental sloppiness).

I think teacher training providers should aim to recruit ABB-BBC* students with very good interpersonal skills. Teachers should be above average both intellectually and personally.

*or higher, but many of those with higher grades will probably target Medicine, Law or Finance before Teaching.
(edited 9 years ago)
Universities that do teaching training only really care about your ability to pass the QTS tests and your degree grade. I did really badly at school and college because I had severe depression at school and a mental breakdown in college, yet I got a 2.1 in English Lang & Lit and that is what I intend to teach at Secondary level. That said I did manage 10 GCSE's at grades C or B, so I didn't fail completely, I was just unable to do as well as I should've.
You had no reply to the above so you decided to point out his spelling mistake...

You have lost this debate. Give up. It's over.

1. This is not a debate.
2. I don't see how I've "lost" anything when I had a very successful career out of university, and I am now on School Direct Salaried.

Maybe I should just quit tomorrow due to my lack of innate excellence or whatever crap people have been calling it.
Original post by Bobble1987

Maybe I should just quit tomorrow due to my lack of innate excellence or whatever crap people have been calling it.

Finally we agree on something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending