The Student Room Group

Foundation Degree in Mechanical Engineering

hello

I will start in few days a BEng in Mechanical Engineering, but I don't know calculus at all!

My maths are rusty and below A-level

will I have support?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by studos

will I have support?

Of course! :smile:

And if you do start to struggle then go to any extra classes they might have (work hard) plus you can also post your questions here in the engineering forum and somebody (including me) shall help you :biggrin:

If you have spare time brush up on basic intergration, differentiation,trigonometry,complex numbers, basic algebra and geometry!
Reply 2
tell me please which books I need to brush up!
I have never done calculus before! And I presumably know little about precalculus!
btw, are there other mathematics than calculus for engineering degree?
Reply 3
Original post by studos

btw, are there other mathematics than calculus for engineering degree?

there's a lot of calculus tbh...there is also summation series stuff involved. A good place to start is www.examsolutions.co.uk start from C1 till about halfway through C4 and then look at complex numbers from FP1. That should give you a solid ground of basics.

Get any engineering maths book it should cover the basics. Perhaps look at engineering mathematics by k.a. stroud 5th edition (you can download it online i think).
Reply 4
I can't see where is C1 in that website!
Reply 5
Original post by a10
there's a lot of calculus tbh...there is also summation series stuff involved. A good place to start is www.examsolutions.co.uk start from C1 till about halfway through C4 and then look at complex numbers from FP1. That should give you a solid ground of basics.

Get any engineering maths book it should cover the basics. Perhaps look at engineering mathematics by k.a. stroud 5th edition (you can download it online i think).

[INDENT] I can't see where is C1 in that website! [/INDENT]
is it organized in levels? so I can start from the begining?
Reply 6
Original post by studos
I can't see where is C1 in that website!
is it organized in levels? so I can start from the begining?

oops i apologize i gave you a wrong link!!

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/OCR/period-1/specification.php

start from C1 and do everything till you reach about halfway of C4! He has tutorials and explains how to do the questions. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
these are simple stuff, are you sure this is all I need?
Reply 9

work through C1-C4. Then look at FP1 complex numbers. That will put you in a good position.

No need to memorise any, you will be taught most of this in greater detail :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by a10
oops i apologize i gave you a wrong link!!

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/OCR/period-1/specification.php

start from C1 and do everything till you reach about halfway of C4! He has tutorials and explains how to do the questions. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for this, I'm also starting the foundation year shortly and this will come in handy.
Reply 11
Original post by Frankston
Thanks for this, I'm also starting the foundation year shortly and this will come in handy.

Aswome I did one too, good luck :smile:
Reply 12
excuse me, but I am not talking about a foundation year, but a foundation degree!!!
Reply 13
Original post by studos
excuse me, but I am not talking about a foundation year, but a foundation degree!!!

I know but the information still applies that is what you will build upon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest