The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sir Jam Jam
Exciting! I speak Portuguese so it was an easy choice for me, I love it. Hope you get an offer. Where else have you applied? I've applied to Southampton, Reading and Swansea. Not heard from Southampton or Reading yet but have an offer for Swansea.

That's cool! :smile: Haha, thanks! Hope you get an offer too! I've applied to Bristol, Exeter, Bath and UCLAN. For slightly different courses at each place but always including Spanish. :smile: Got offers from Bristol and Bath, but really want offer from Cardiff, which is my first choice. What is your first choice?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 381
Original post by Quantum2123
I am still waiting :'( sent it off first week of November....

Me too! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MemphisLouisiana
Congratulations! I've been offered the same for literature and my current grades are BBCC - I'm terrified for the English retake this year. Good luck!

Hope you make it! I'm dreading my retakes, English is the only subject I'm not resitting!
Original post by Still-Thinking
That's cool! :smile: Haha, thanks! Hope you get an offer too! I've applied to Bristol, Exeter, Bath and UCLAN. For slightly different courses at each place but always including Spanish. :smile: Got offers from Bristol and Bath, but really want offer from Cardiff, which is my first choice. What is your first choice?

All mine are also for Spanish with either Politics or Business/Management. Cardiff is my first choice and Reading will be my Insurance if I get an offer (I think). I still have one more choice to make but can't decide. Bristol, Bath & Exeter would be awesome but not sure Id get the grades. Cardiff is ABB for Spanish & Politics which I reckon is probably my tops! I live close to Exeter so that might be a bit close to home!!!! :smile:
Original post by bradleywalker
Hope you make it! I'm dreading my retakes, English is the only subject I'm not resitting!

I'm retaking some of everything, it's such a pain! Will you be firming Cardiff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MemphisLouisiana
I'm retaking some of everything, it's such a pain! Will you be firming Cardiff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I will. Are you?
Original post by bradleywalker
Yes, I will. Are you?

I think so, but I'm undecided between Cardiff and Swansea at the moment!
All mine are also for Spanish with either Politics or Business/Management. Cardiff is my first choice and Reading will be my Insurance if I get an offer (I think). I still have one more choice to make but can't decide. Bristol, Bath & Exeter would be awesome but not sure Id get the grades. Cardiff is ABB for Spanish & Politics which I reckon is probably my tops! I live close to Exeter so that might be a bit close to home!!!! :smile:

Nice. :smile: Cardiff is my first choice too and Bristol will be my insurance if I get an offer from Cardiff. I have already done my A levels and got BBB, but have applied for ABB courses and have offers from everyone so far because even though they say it is done by grades, most places I emailed to check if I would be considered for an offer say my AS-grades give me enough points to get in. Cool. Good luck! :smile:
Have made Cardiff my firm offer, when can we apply for accommodation and how do we do so? :smile:
Original post by DCasking
Have made Cardiff my firm offer, when can we apply for accommodation and how do we do so? :smile:

Hey. Congrats on your offer! What you going to study? I'm hoping to make Cardiff my firm too.

Accommodation is done over the internet. You get an email from Cardiff saying that you can apply after a specific date. When that date comes around you'll get a reminder email and you'll be able to apply by following a link in the email or by finding it online, but make sure you do it by the deadline to be assured you will have a place somewhere. You then have to put in choices for where you'd like to live in order of preference and normally have to write a very small personal statement about things you like, if you're an early morning riser etc, so they can try to match you with like-minded people. For 2014 applicants, I think they had to put down 10-12 choices, which is a lot more than normal.
Anyway, you will then receive an email containing an accommodation offer, which says which residence you've gotten into and the details. But because everyones requests have to be processed and normally some places are oversubscribed, it can take awhile. You'll definitely have to wait until after the deadline and they normally set a date, I'm pretty sure it's in August, when the offers are released. You might not get your first choice, you may not even get your third choice, obviously it depends on how popular each place is and when you apply. You can appeal your accommodation offer by rejecting it, but this could mean you end up without accommodation.

Sorry this is so long, it's quite detailed so I hope you find something useful in it. :-)
Nice. :smile: Cardiff is my first choice too and Bristol will be my insurance if I get an offer from Cardiff. I have already done my A levels and got BBB, but have applied for ABB courses and have offers from everyone so far because even though they say it is done by grades, most places I emailed to check if I would be considered for an offer say my AS-grades give me enough points to get in. Cool. Good luck! :smile:

Hey that's really interesting - gives me hope for my final choice! :smile: Good luck with Cardiff - would be cool if we were in the same Spanish class!!!!!
They're taking ages to reply to me :frown:
Hey that's really interesting - gives me hope for my final choice! :smile: Good luck with Cardiff - would be cool if we were in the same Spanish class!!!!!

Yh, Cardiff seem quite flexible on results tbh. As do other universities. E.g. one friend got into Cardiff needing AAB, but only had BBB. Same happened to another friend at a different uni. Last year results were lower than expected, cuz exam boards are becoming harsher. So even if don't get needed grades, they still might take you if they like you enough. :-) Good luck to you to! Keep me posted on your progress with Cardiff cuz we may well end up in some of the same classes. :-)
Yh, Cardiff seem quite flexible on results tbh. As do other universities. E.g. one friend got into Cardiff needing AAB, but only had BBB. Same happened to another friend at a different uni. Last year results were lower than expected, cuz exam boards are becoming harsher. So even if don't get needed grades, they still might take you if they like you enough. :-) Good luck to you to! Keep me posted on your progress with Cardiff cuz we may well end up in some of the same classes. :-)

That's really interesting, and encouraging too, thanks for that. Are you on a gap year then if you've already got BBB? If you've got works experience then that will probably count for a lot on your application. Keep me posted on your Cardiff application too. :smile:
That's really interesting, and encouraging too, thanks for that. Are you on a gap year then if you've already got BBB? If you've got works experience then that will probably count for a lot on your application. Keep me posted on your Cardiff application too. :smile:

You're welcome. :-) I remember how nervous I was on results day and when the two friends I mentioned saw their results they were really worried they wouldn't get in. Oh and a tip for results day, keep an eye on your emails and UCAS track. Some people found out before they got their results whether or not they'd got into their firm or insurance choice. :-) Yh, I'm on gap year. I originally went to Bristol uni this September and hated it there, because of both the people and the course (which was French and an initio Russian, which I didn't really wanna do anyway, I wanted to do French and Spanish but couldn't). I dropped out just before Xmas, which was a really scary thing to do and am waiting to hear back from jobs I've applied for. So kinda by default I'm on a gap year. I'm trying to teach myself some Spanish to try and make settling in to uni easier. I will. :-)
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
They're taking ages to reply to me :frown:

When did you apply? I haven't heard anything back from them but I applied december 9th
Anyone applying for Bsc Chemistry?
Also, UCAS Open Day on Thursday... Any Tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbalarr95
When did you apply? I haven't heard anything back from them but I applied december 9th

4th December. It's not that, it's more that I have two friends who applied for Cardiff who got an offer within the week. Of course each department works differently, but it just makes the wait *that* extra tantalising
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
4th December. It's not that, it's more that I have two friends who applied for Cardiff who got an offer within the week. Of course each department works differently, but it just makes the wait *that* extra tantalising

Ah, I get what you mean. I've had two interview offers, one rejection and am still waiting on two uni's and my friend who applied the same day as me has had 5 offers.. we're predicted the same so I just feel like I'll never get in anywhere.
What course have you applied for?
Original post by abbalarr95
Ah, I get what you mean. I've had two interview offers, one rejection and am still waiting on two uni's and my friend who applied the same day as me has had 5 offers.. we're predicted the same so I just feel like I'll never get in anywhere.
What course have you applied for?

biotechnology :smile: I know how you feel. One of my friends applied for social work, which is a long process and she's been getting interviews when everyone else around her have been getting offers. What did you apply for and where to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending