The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenny17
Thanks for letting us know!

I can't pin point the pocket book... Can you send a ISBN or cover description of possible??
Thanks for your time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ambulance-Services-Clinical-Practice-Guidelines/dp/1859593658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422136118&sr=8-1&keywords=jrcalc+pocketbook+2014

Thats the exact one i bought and use on a regular basis when taking observations especially with younger patients. Also has loads of handy references for drugs and pathways for treatment :smile:
Original post by chowy619
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ambulance-Services-Clinical-Practice-Guidelines/dp/1859593658/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422136118&sr=8-1&keywords=jrcalc+pocketbook+2014

Thats the exact one i bought and use on a regular basis when taking observations especially with younger patients. Also has loads of handy references for drugs and pathways for treatment :smile:

Awesome!! Cheers.
I'll order one tonight!!

How are you finding the course so far? Are you still in your first year!?
Original post by Kenny17
Awesome!! Cheers.
I'll order one tonight!!

How are you finding the course so far? Are you still in your first year!?

Yeah dont worry about ordering loads of books, the ones i have listed are the ones that i own and they have been alright so far. The rest I take out of the library and look up on the internet. Yep i am in first year and its pretty awesome. Is pretty much as I expected it to be :smile: At first it was quite daunting even though i have done a lot of volunteering in this sort of area before it was still a little bit of a shock :P but after a few shifts i sort of have a routine with my mentors each job which makes it easier
Yeah dont worry about ordering loads of books, the ones i have listed are the ones that i own and they have been alright so far. The rest I take out of the library and look up on the internet. Yep i am in first year and its pretty awesome. Is pretty much as I expected it to be :smile: At first it was quite daunting even though i have done a lot of volunteering in this sort of area before it was still a little bit of a shock :P but after a few shifts i sort of have a routine with my mentors each job which makes it easier

Can I ask what uni you are at?!

I'm really looking forward to starting in sept, can't wait for the new challenge.!!
Original post by Kenny17
Can I ask what uni you are at?!

I'm really looking forward to starting in sept, can't wait for the new challenge.!!

Sheffield Hallam :smile: good luck to you! It definitely is a challenge and very unique one too but if you enjoy the work then you will be fine :biggrin:
Sheffield Hallam :smile: good luck to you! It definitely is a challenge and very unique one too but if you enjoy the work then you will be fine :biggrin:

sept can't come quick enough!! Haha.

Thanks for for all your help and giving up your time! 👍.
Original post by Kenny17
sept can't come quick enough!! Haha.

Thanks for for all your help and giving up your time! .

Haha i know that feeling! Enjoy it whilst you can as timing can get quite tight :P its no problem, people did the same for me when i was applying so its the least i could do :smile: plus my sleeping pattern has gone all strange so trying to stay up and reset it for Monday! :P
Haha i know that feeling! Enjoy it whilst you can as timing can get quite tight :P its no problem, people did the same for me when i was applying so its the least i could do :smile: plus my sleeping pattern has gone all strange so trying to stay up and reset it for Monday! :P

Can I ask questions to? Lol

How long are your shifts? How many days a week are you on placement when you go on placement?
Original post by aspiringpara

How long are your shifts? How many days a week are you on placement when you go on placement?

Sure you can! :smile: shifts vary depending on the ambulance service you are with. Mine are all either 10 or 12 hour shifts with either a 30 min or 45 min meal break somewhere in there if you are lucky :P i spent the first sort of month/ month and a half in uni 3 days a week then after i passed my practical exams I was on the road for placement full time which worked out at around 3 or 4 shifts a week. Now after christmas I am in 2 days of uni 2 days of placement till March i think then back to full time placement :smile:
The clinical guidelines pocket book :smile: I use it all the time on the road and is quite helpful for a quick reference. Was about £13 off amazon. I also picked up Ross and Wilson Anatomy and physiology for basic anatomy :smile: it's a little basic but gives a good foundation to start from. I also got emergency care in the streets by N. Caroline for practical information. Hope that helps get you started :smile:

Cheers for answering that I've asked a few other people I know and they've also said emergency care in the streets and the pocket book so that's reassuring! I also have a book by totora from my access course which has also been mentioned
Think I'll buy a new one each month before I start in May! I'm also going to try and 'acquire' a medical dictionary from work Lol

Eeeek so excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure you can! :smile: shifts vary depending on the ambulance service you are with. Mine are all either 10 or 12 hour shifts with either a 30 min or 45 min meal break somewhere in there if you are lucky :P i spent the first sort of month/ month and a half in uni 3 days a week then after i passed my practical exams I was on the road for placement full time which worked out at around 3 or 4 shifts a week. Now after christmas I am in 2 days of uni 2 days of placement till March i think then back to full time placement :smile:

Thank you for answering our questions and your advice on the books. Im going to start my purchases right now!
Original post by Wonderwoman_477
Cheers for answering that I've asked a few other people I know and they've also said emergency care in the streets and the pocket book so that's reassuring! I also have a book by totora from my access course which has also been mentioned
Think I'll buy a new one each month before I start in May! I'm also going to try and 'acquire' a medical dictionary from work Lol

Eeeek so excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah really one anatomy and physiology book would be good. Totora is also a good one too :smile: they do get quite expensive so I would start with cheap ones and then wait till you get to uni and see how many your uni library has :smile:

From February my placement has to average 24 hours a week so that is 2 12 or 3 8 hour shifts a week along with 1 day a week at uni (Anglia Ruskin)
Reply 733
Hello everyone!
I am new to student room
I recently sent of my application for paramedic science
I applied for September 2015!

Anyone else applied for September?

AJ
Who has achieved their C1? Just got an email from Greenwich and they saying it nust be achieved by 1st April. If it isn't they will consider giving an extension but it is not guaranteed. ������

If you're able to travel then there is a driving school at Lancing, West Sussex that do a 4 day driving course and exam for £780, which is by far the cheapest I've come across.
Original post by KLove2091
If you're able to travel then there is a driving school at Lancing, West Sussex that do a 4 day driving course and exam for £780, which is by far the cheapest I've come across.

Thanks for your advice but i live in London. A drive to Sussex is a long journey. I've found a course that i can do that is somewhat reasonable. Although 780 is verrrrry tempting lol
Original post by Griff3033
Anyone got interviews at Staffordshire on March 2nd? :smile:

Yes! 9.30 am :smile:
Original post by Kenny17
Yep. I was sitting with you and another guy. Got ssshhhhed a few times actually. Haha

I then came over to join both you and talk i think. I was the girl with short blondish hair. Kenny were you the guy who was super nervous?
Original post by KLove2091

Actually i just google mapped it and its not as far as i thought. Could stay in a hotel if the 4 days are consecutive. Thank you I'll look into it.
Actually i just google mapped it and its not as far as i thought. Could stay in a hotel if the 4 days are consecutive. Thank you I'll look into it.

The days are consecutive and 4hrs each day 1-to-1 lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest