The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
yes there is but who cares when they dont have the serious connections or the money to change it

I don't know. Men watch men's football, and women who like football also watch men's football. I don't know anyone who watches women's football EXCEPT in the US. Maybe you should look there for solutions.
Original post by matthewduncan
Just not interested in it.
I prefer women to stand around and look pretty not out of breath and sweaty

that's sexist, you sexist boy matthew. tut tut
Men(on the whole) will always have a huge physical edge over women. It's a biological fact. Football is a sport that requires for the most part a strong physique accompanied with mental prowess. It's a sport that's grew around men.

I'm not saying shouldn't play the sport, but They'l never be able to generate the same levels of play that the men do. Even if you bring the idea of an increase in investment and attention to women's football, They just won't be as good. Maybe in some distant future you could entertain the idea of women's football being watched in the same capacity of mens football. But truth be told it will most likely will never come to fruition.
Original post by mikeyd85
Where? Have you evidence for this?

Admittedly there is no call for the sport to improve from women outside of the sport, but thats because the sport is not encouraged as much for women. Boys are playing in leagues at the age of 7 and girls around the same age are encouraged to not be sporty. Why arent we supporting women the same way we support guys? do that and the interest from women will definitely increase in sports like football.
Admittedly there is no call for the sport to improve from women outside of the sport, but thats because the sport is not encouraged as much for women. Boys are playing in leagues at the age of 7 and girls around the same age are encouraged to not be sporty. Why arent we supporting women the same way we support guys? do that and the interest from women will definitely increase in sports like football.

What are you talking about? My 2 youngest sisters have been massively encouraged to get in to sport through school, be it dance, swimming, athletics and probably others that I'm not aware of. The next sister up also played football at school.

I don't have the answer as to why women's football isn't popular and there isn't a demand for it, but you seem to be be hell bent on proving that some sort of inequality is the reason. I don't think that is the entire reason at all, especially not since the turn of the millennium.
Reply 45
2nd Paragraph: No way of verifying that

Well yes, there is. It is a scientific fact that men generally have better spatial awareness than women. Speed, distance, etc all roll into spatial awareness.
Original post by Armin.
Lol dat baitin' :wink:

Dam right!

Every single notification I receive on TSR makes me feel warm inside.
its an interesting point.. but not as simple as half of the replys on here would have you believe..

Its most defiantly not largely due to physicality..

I mean, just looking at tenis, we can see a sport where although women may never perform to the level of men, they do have a serrious proffesional league, which draws in big crowds and good amounts of revenue..

So why not in football?

I mean, if you go back in history it may explain why..

Between the invention of the professional football, and the first world war.. womens football drew huge crowds.. some games up to 50,000 fans..

But then women were banned from playing football within FA grounds, in 1921, and things start to go wrong.. that ban lasted 50 years, up until 1971..

So whilst in sports like tennis women were still competing in similar competitions to men, throughout the whole century.. in football, they were banned from playing by the governing body of UK football..

Ofcourse in that time the mens game developed beyond anything, and now its just to late to catch up..

So, for me I would put the lack of sucess of womens football down largely to this ban, rather then their differences physically..

Sure they would never play the same level as men, but that is not the reason they do not have an entertaining and well funded system..
You get women's games now with 50k fans so that is air tbh.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You get women's games now with 50k fans so that is air tbh.

were talking about domestic football.. and not even a final, back then..

Compare that to now:

FA Cup finals:

2013-4: 15k
2012-3: 5k
2011-2: 8k

Highest was mid 20s.. Which is not bad, but not what it should be for the largest final in the womens game (in the uk)

-- I dont think a 50 year ban on womens football by the FA, should be overlooked as a factor towards the relative lack of success in the womens game..

For league games the average attendance was around 800 people per match in 2014..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
were talking about domestic football.. and not even a final, back then..

Compare that to now:

FA Cup finals:

2013-4: 15k
2012-3: 5k
2011-2: 8k

Highest was mid 20s.. Which is not bad, but not what it should be for the largest final in the womens game (in the uk)

-- I dont think a 50 year ban on womens football by the FA, should be overlooked as a factor towards the relative lack of success in the womens game..

If you're comparing women's attendances in domestic football prior to the 1920s then it's only fair you compare the men's too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_FA_Cup_Final
Because the standard is appalling. The best womens teams would probably struggle in the Blue Square North.
If you're comparing women's attendances in domestic football prior to the 1920s then it's only fair you compare the men's too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_FA_Cup_Final

so mens have reduced by around half, whilst womens have been decimated to a mere fraction? except in the final of the largest finals, and international games..

the comparison still drops the womens game far bellow the mens in terms of regressed attendances.

--

I was thinking about this more whilst walking home from work..

Comparing football to sports where women have been more sucessful provides another angle to look at this:

Location, and time of performance.

In the most watched female sports in this country (tennis and athletics/swimming) the womens competitions are always interwoven with the mens.. and there is very rarely, at the highest level, a reason to pick between the two. e.g. you go for a day at wimbledon and you will see both mens/womens.

I would suggest that one of the reasons the womens game in football fails is due to the nature of only attending one game at a time, and not a selection.

When you put this into historical context, and include that during the formative years of mens football (after it was banned in the war) that women were not allowed to play in the same stadium.. not only is the womens game at a different time(unlike tennis) but now its also at a different venue.

I would say then, that one of the biggest reasons womens sports fail in some team sports, is due to it forcing a choice on the spectator, between mens + womens, rather then presenting both. The catalyst of the choice to watch mens football over womens, would ofcourse be the greater athletic ability of men.. but this is not the defining factor that makes womens sport fail (as its present in all female sports), but rather what makes womens football fail is that due to the format of the game it has to compete with mens football, rather then existing alongside it, as in tennis/athletics.
all in all, to sum up the post above, and my last few..

Its far far to simplistic and narrow to entirely put it down to level of skill.

Level of skill is always just a single factor in the popularity of the sport, and is rarely ever the sole reason people engage with it.

All of women's sports have to face this barrier of never performing to the level of men, and yet some sports succeed and others fail, so this cannot be the defining reason. That must fall to something more specific to football.

I would conclude that the reason football fails, whilst other female sports suceed is due to a range of reasons including:

- the historical ban on womens football
- the nature of a 1 match per attendance sport
- the nature of a 1 club per fan allegiance

And many other reasons..
You mention Tennis, Athletics and Swimming but those sports can all be played in the same venue with several events taking place at once. Wimbledon has more than one court for example. It would be impossible to do the same in football unless you had one match on after the other at the same venue. And if there was an 'FA Cup final day' that had the women playing first then the men at Wembley, I think most people would just turn up late.

I know I would.
You mention Tennis, Athletics and Swimming but those sports can all be played in the same venue with several events taking place at once. Wimbledon has more than one court for example. It would be impossible to do the same in football unless you had one match on after the other at the same venue. And if there was an 'FA Cup final day' that had the women playing first then the men at Wembley, I think most people would just turn up late.

I know I would.

I mentioned that above :smile:

I mean, just looking at tenis, we can see a sport where although women may never perform to the level of men, they do have a serrious proffesional league, which draws in big crowds and good amounts of revenue..

Because the tournaments are played at the same time in the same location as the men's. If the tournaments were held separately you'd see a big drop in interest in the women's.
Original post by Huskaris
The quality of football is so unbelievably low. Your average first XI from a school could probably beat most womens team.

Women just are not built the same physical way as men, and men therefore have a huge advantage.

It's like putting a team of fit, athletic 25 year olds against a team of fit, athletic 15 year olds, the older guys will always win, even if both sets are at the peak fitness, because they are more physically developed.

Hahahahaah

Yea right.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Because the tournaments are played at the same time in the same location as the men's. If the tournaments were held separately you'd see a big drop in interest in the women's.

which is exactly what I said above..

"In the most watched female sports in this country (tennis and athletics/swimming) the womens competitions are always interwoven with the mens.. and there is very rarely, at the highest level, a reason to pick between the two. e.g. you go for a day at wimbledon and you will see both mens/womens.

I would suggest that one of the reasons the womens game in football fails is due to the nature of only attending one game at a time, and not a selection.

When you put this into historical context, and include that during the formative years of mens football (after it was banned in the war) that women were not allowed to play in the same stadium.. not only is the womens game at a different time(unlike tennis) but now its also at a different venue.

I would say then, that one of the biggest reasons womens sports fail in some team sports, is due to it forcing a choice on the spectator, between mens + womens, rather then presenting both. The catalyst of the choice to watch mens football over womens, would ofcourse be the greater athletic ability of men.. but this is not the defining factor that makes womens sport fail (as its present in all female sports), but rather what makes womens football fail is that due to the format of the game it has to compete with mens football, rather then existing alongside it, as in tennis/athletics."
I mentioned that above :smile:

The point about it gaining more attention if it wasn't one match per attendance is a valid one but you could apply that to youth football also. If you were to ask the same question re: youth football (why doesn't it get the same attendance as senior football, why do not many people watch it etc) the answer would be obvious. Quality not as good (understandably so), less interest in general. These are feeder teams to full teams and still interest is comparatively low.

As I said if we had multiple matches at the same venue most people would only turn up right before the 'main event' kicked off.

Latest