The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olivia_97
Torn between Sheff and Kings College for politics, what would you all say the pros of Sheffield are over london??

Definitely choose Sheffield! Of course I am biased because I'm a student at Sheffield and absolutely love it, but I genuinely would choose Sheffield over Kings. The main reason being that, whilst I think London is a fantastic city, I think Sheffield is far better for students.

Cost of living - Sheffield has one of the lowest cost of living of any UK city. Your student loan will go much further in Sheffield - meaning more nights out/money to spend on clothes/food, etc.

Accommodation - Sheffield has (officially) the best University accommodation in the country (ranked number one by an NUS survey). 82% of accommodation here is en-suite, and it's set in quiet, leafy suburbs about a 20 minute walk from campus.

The Union - we have had the best University Union in the UK for 7 years in a row now (Times Higher Education Student Satisfaction Survey).

Nights out - compared to London we have far more dedicated student nights, and the prices are (of course) much lower.

Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by sheffunistudent
Definitely choose Sheffield! Of course I am biased because I'm a student at Sheffield and absolutely love it, but I genuinely would choose Sheffield over Kings. The main reason being that, whilst I think London is a fantastic city, I think Sheffield is far better for students.

Cost of living - Sheffield has one of the lowest cost of living of any UK city. Your student loan will go much further in Sheffield - meaning more nights out/money to spend on clothes/food, etc.

Accommodation - Sheffield has (officially) the best University accommodation in the country (ranked number one by an NUS survey). 82% of accommodation here is en-suite, and it's set in quiet, leafy suburbs about a 20 minute walk from campus.

The Union - we have had the best University Union in the UK for 7 years in a row now (Times Higher Education Student Satisfaction Survey).

Nights out - compared to London we have far more dedicated student nights, and the prices are (of course) much lower.

Ahh thanks! Think I'm definetely swaying more towards sheffield
Original post by olivia_97
Ahh thanks! Think I'm definetely swaying more towards sheffield

I would never want to try and put someone off another Uni, but I do think that Sheffield is an excellent University in an amazing city. I know a lot of people at London unis, and they all enjoy it, but it is a very different experience to other universities. I think you'll get much more of a "student experience" in Sheffield.
Original post by emparker1
That's good, wish I had a back up but all my offers were for at least 3A's! Hoping for A*AA, doing Math Physics and Chemistry. What do you take?

I take Maths, physics and chemistry :smile: Also predicted A*AA (the A* being for maths) ^-^
For AS I took Maths (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), Biology (B)
Wow lowest was AAA... Where did you apply?
Original post by Lissy14
I take Maths, physics and chemistry :smile: Also predicted A*AA (the A* being for maths) ^-^
For AS I took Maths (A), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), Biology (B)
Wow lowest was AAA... Where did you apply?

Exactly the same as me, AS grades/subjects too but mine was B in Chemistry and A in biology! Sheffield obviously, Bath, Birmingham, Manchester and Loughborough. Took me a while to decide between Bath and Sheffield but decided on Sheffield in the end! Where else did you?
Exactly the same as me, AS grades/subjects too but mine was B in Chemistry and A in biology! Sheffield obviously, Bath, Birmingham, Manchester and Loughborough. Took me a while to decide between Bath and Sheffield but decided on Sheffield in the end! Where else did you?

Really? ^-^ Hahaha that is kinda creepy! :wink: Is your predicted A* in maths as well? :smile:
I applied for Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Surrey and Manchester :smile: Why did you choose Sheffield? :smile:
Original post by Lissy14
Really? ^-^ Hahaha that is kinda creepy! :wink: Is your predicted A* in maths as well? :smile:
I applied for Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Surrey and Manchester :smile: Why did you choose Sheffield? :smile:

It is yeah haha! A mix of reasons really, found it really difficult to decide they are both so different, but the new building looks amazing and the money they offer for getting the grades, also just the feel of the place really. Not the best reasons but everything else between the two was a tie! Have you applied for accommodation yet?
It is yeah haha! A mix of reasons really, found it really difficult to decide they are both so different, but the new building looks amazing and the money they offer for getting the grades, also just the feel of the place really. Not the best reasons but everything else between the two was a tie! Have you applied for accommodation yet?

It’s a good a reason as any I think :smile:. To be honest all the chemical engineering courses looked exactly the same to me. I just chose on which Uni ticked the most of my boxes Sheffield was the only one that ticked every single one of the things on my list :wink:

Yes I applied for it yesterday. I went for self-catered, endcliffe, ensuite and put endcliffe as the priority. But I don’t really care what type of room I go in to be honest (as long as it isn’t some form of massive studio room). What about you? Have you applied?
Original post by Lissy14
It’s a good a reason as any I think :smile:. To be honest all the chemical engineering courses looked exactly the same to me. I just chose on which Uni ticked the most of my boxes Sheffield was the only one that ticked every single one of the things on my list :wink:

Yes I applied for it yesterday. I went for self-catered, endcliffe, ensuite and put endcliffe as the priority. But I don’t really care what type of room I go in to be honest (as long as it isn’t some form of massive studio room). What about you? Have you applied?

Haha yes I applied for exactly the same!
Haha yes I applied for exactly the same!

Hahaha we are practically the same person :wink:
I'm hopefully heading to Sheffield this September to study Business!

My friend and I made 2 FB groups facebook.com/groups/sheffieldfreshers & facebook.com/groups/sheffield2015 to get people talking on there..

You're welcome to join :smile: good luck!
Just accepted my unconditional offer to study English literature with a foundation year. See you all in September!
Original post by Lissy14
Hey! I firmed Sheffield for ChemEng as well ^-^
What grades have they given you? :smile: Newcastle is my back up

Another chemeng applicant just firmed! Newcastle as insurance also, but same grades so basically Sheffield or nothing!
Original post by fruity97
Another chemeng applicant just firmed! Newcastle as insurance also, but same grades so basically Sheffield or nothing!

Also chem eng, what grades did they offer you?:smile:

Another Chemical Engineering firmer here too :smile:
Original post by GregGavin
Another Chemical Engineering firmer here too :smile:

Yay! ^-^

Sheffield and Newcastle offered you the same grades? That's confusing! ^-^ Sheffield gave me AAA and Newcastle gave me AAB - Did you get AAA or AAB? :smile:

Oh wait! Did you apply for MEng at Newcastle or BEng? I applied BEng so maybe that's why ^-^
(edited 9 years ago)

AAA! You? :smile:
Original post by Lissy14
Sheffield and Newcastle offered you the same grades? That's confusing! ^-^ Sheffield gave me AAA and Newcastle gave me AAB - Did you get AAA or AAB? :smile:

Oh wait! Did you apply for MEng at Newcastle or BEng? I applied BEng so maybe that's why ^-^

Yeah they did, I applied for the Meng in all my choices, didn't realise they'd let you transfer to the Meng even if you applied for the Beng! It's just scary knowing I either get AAA or possibly no university!
Yeah they did, I applied for the Meng in all my choices, didn't realise they'd let you transfer to the Meng even if you applied for the Beng! It's just scary knowing I either get AAA or possibly no university!

Ah I see ^-^. Aw don't worry I'm sure you will be fine! What are your predicteds? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending