The Student Room Group

Ask me anything you like about a career in Chartered Accountancy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hotshot45
Hi, thanks for looking at these questions the following is for Audit.

How hard is it to go from Senior manager at a big 4 to a partner at a top 10 firm? What do partners earn on average from a top 10-20 firm? What are the pros/cons of going from a big 4 to a smaller partnership (top 5-20) compared to trying to make partner at a big 4 firm?

How hard do the top 10-20 firm partners work compared to the big 4 partner counterparts?

Just started at Big 4 Audit and think I would like to do a job heavily involved in business development and accounting eventually, hence asking questions with regard to the various options available in public practice, this is a nice motivation for me to get through these exams!

I have no direct knowledge of partners profit share in larger/Top 4 firms, but you can get a good insight by looking at the published accounts of the Top 4 firms, eg in the PWC accounts, which you can look up yourself, the average profit per partner was £722k.

I cannot comment on how hard anyone works

As for moving from Top 4 to top 10, it really depends on what vacancies are around. The skills gained in the Top 4 are highly desirable in large firms
(edited 9 years ago)
Once I qualify from my top 30 firm I (at the moment) want to move into industry. I know you're in a practice but you may know the answer to my question!

Would you recommend having a year or so in a big 4 to get the name on my CV before making the move? Or should I move into the finance dept of a small company and work up?
Original post by Runninground
Once I qualify from my top 30 firm I (at the moment) want to move into industry. I know you're in a practice but you may know the answer to my question!

Would you recommend having a year or so in a big 4 to get the name on my CV before making the move? Or should I move into the finance dept of a small company and work up?

Slightly related, not sure if you already know this but the Big Four (at least mine) are actively looking to recruit newly qualified people from smaller firms since all our newly qualifieds just take off the first chance they get.
Original post by snakesnake
Slightly related, not sure if you already know this but the Big Four (at least mine) are actively looking to recruit newly qualified people from smaller firms since all our newly qualifieds just take off the first chance they get.

Really? I didn't know, thanks. It's still a few years until I qualify so hopefully they will still be then.
Original post by ez_accountancy

I have another question about the recruitment process. When it comes to interviewing potential trainees, what kinds of questions do you enjoy answering?

Would it be too personal/inappropriate to ask a manager or partner how they got into accounting and what they like most about their job?

Thanks in advance for your response :smile:
Original post by Runninground

I would suggest if you plan to move into industry, do it straight from your Top 30 firm, little point in delaying to get a big name firm on your CV. You are probably most marketable as soon as you qualify.
Original post by memomemootoo
I have another question about the recruitment process. When it comes to interviewing potential trainees, what kinds of questions do you enjoy answering?

Would it be too personal/inappropriate to ask a manager or partner how they got into accounting and what they like most about their job?

Thanks in advance for your response :smile:

Not sure about 'Enjoy', but I am far more impressed with questions which shows that a candidate knows something about an issue and is after some clarification, rather than asking something which they should know or could quite easily find out.
Reply 67
Hey im from India applying for 2015 sept intake in msc finance programmes. I hear so many accounts of international students not finding a job in uk after graduation due to strict visa norms. Can anybody tell me if its so??
Original post by esha_28
Hey im from India applying for 2015 sept intake in msc finance programmes. I hear so many accounts of international students not finding a job in uk after graduation due to strict visa norms. Can anybody tell me if its so??

Yes, visa regulations seems to have tightened up.

For example, we no longer consider Tier 2 Visa applicants, since there are so many UK based candidates, and I believe we have to give them priority.
Reply 69

For example, we no longer consider Tier 2 Visa applicants, since there are so many UK based candidates, and I believe we have to give them priority.

Thanks! Guess I'll have to reconsider everything :frown:
Reply 70

Unless... the applicant is on a T4 student visa and will graduate/have graduated from a UK institution with a Bachelor's/Masters degree. In which case, they are exempt from the 'resident labour market test'

Original post by esha_28
Thanks! Guess I'll have to reconsider everything :frown:

Top employers in professional services will sponsor work visas. But make sure that you have a decent chance at receiving an offer.
Reply 71
Original post by Sakoha
Unless... the applicant is on a T4 student visa and will graduate/have graduated from a UK institution with a Bachelor's/Masters degree. In which case, they are exempt from the 'resident labour market test'

Top employers in professional services will sponsor work visas. But make sure that you have a decent chance at receiving an offer.

That helped a great deal!!.. thank u! :smile:.. i will be studying on a T4 visa.
My career path is eventually to either become an accounting technician or a retail banker and i'm thinking of studying accounting and finance at uni. I'm in my last year of college and obviously need to get my personal statement done but am i choosing the right course? I could either continue with my AAT till i get that MAAT status but i think i'm more of a university person. Any advice???? :confused:
Oh and i'm doing my level 3 in AAT right now plus business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending