The Student Room Group

Social Work MA 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
I have an interview tomorrow and apparently this is the last lot, how many people did the interview?
Hi all. Looking ahead to 2016 MA/MSc Social Work applications, what advice/information/opinions would you have regarding the following universities?

York
Leeds
Durham
Birmingham

This isn't for me, it's for my fiancee. We are due to move to either North Yorkshire or the Midlands in the next year and we are trying to work out where she would be able to study and how the universities and courses are rated both in terms of the course and future employment opportunities.

Additionally, if there are other unis that she should be considering, I'm all ears.

Many thanks, any replies much appreciated :smile:
Original post by unruly1986
Hi all. Looking ahead to 2016 MA/MSc Social Work applications, what advice/information/opinions would you have regarding the following universities?

York
Leeds
Durham
Birmingham

This isn't for me, it's for my fiancee. We are due to move to either North Yorkshire or the Midlands in the next year and we are trying to work out where she would be able to study and how the universities and courses are rated both in terms of the course and future employment opportunities.

Additionally, if there are other unis that she should be considering, I'm all ears.

Hi there,

check out this website...for me it provided the best information, with various considerations such as student body, quality of course, finances etc. You can also compare universities, so it's a pretty handy website. Good luck!

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Original post by happyhope
Helloooo
Yeah I am. I asked and they said last year 100% of people got a bursary. But who knows for this year! Are you going to the information day in July?

Hi, thank you for your message, I thought i'd get an alert telling me you responded to my message but does not seem so.:s-smilie:.
Yes, I am hoping to go to the open day in July, that's fantastic news about the bursary. I have a friend who went to southbank 2 years ago and she said that everyone received a bursary then, shes now a senior sw
Original post by happyhope
There is a document you can read from the NHS bursary website. Cardiff got one I think :/

So, LSBU received 31, lets hope we are one of the chosen few. I posted my bursary application today, so my fingers are crossed.
Ps whoever discovered the link for the bursary applications, thank you so much, im sure anxieties for many have been reduced a little.
Original post by unruly1986

York
Leeds
Durham
Birmingham

Hi. I chose Birmingham as they have really good statisitics for employment after graduating and are 2nd on the 2016 rankings for their social work program. They are allocated a fair few bursaries compared to other unis and have maintained a steady 44 for at least the last two years. They only put about 50 people on the course so you would be well in for a chance of getting one. They allocate them based on interviews too so if you have a lot of experince I wouldn't worry about not getting one! I'm starting in September so can give you more info once I have begun the course. Seems like a good option though.
Original post by Poonamk
Hi. I chose Birmingham as they have really good statisitics for employment after graduating and are 2nd on the 2016 rankings for their social work program. They are allocated a fair few bursaries compared to other unis and have maintained a steady 44 for at least the last two years. They only put about 50 people on the course so you would be well in for a chance of getting one. They allocate them based on interviews too so if you have a lot of experince I wouldn't worry about not getting one! I'm starting in September so can give you more info once I have begun the course. Seems like a good option though.

Hi thanks for the info, like you said if you could give us an update once you start the course that would be great :smile:
Reply 467
Hey
Has anyone heard back from University of Bradford yet about bursaries? anyone been successful? unsuccessful?
Original post by Summer14
Has anyone heard anything about bursary for MSc Social work at Uni of Hertfordshire?

Hi again!

I've just heard today that I am now being put forward for a bursary, so will be attending Hertfordshire after all :smile:
Have you heard back from them yet? Looking to see if there will be anyone else attending Hertfordshire this September/October time.
Original post by RuthAlexandra
Hi again!

I've just heard today that I am now being put forward for a bursary, so will be attending Hertfordshire after all :smile:
Have you heard back from them yet? Looking to see if there will be anyone else attending Hertfordshire this September/October time.

Congratulations Ruth! I am really really happy for you. Good luck
Original post by dez2015
Congratulations Ruth! I am really really happy for you. Good luck

Thank you so much! It's been a long old road with being told conflicting information for months, but am trying to get my head around it all now. Thanks for your reply. Good luck to you too! :smile:
Thanx girl. Unfortunately I didn't get a bursary at warwick I am currently on reserve so keeping my fingers crossed so I am nominated by brunel! I am literally praying about it every second
Original post by dez2015
Thanx girl. Unfortunately I didn't get a bursary at warwick I am currently on reserve so keeping my fingers crossed so I am nominated by brunel! I am literally praying about it every second

They honestly should be able to tell you where you are on the list by now. They know how many bursaries their uni is allocated (check out the department of health's document), and should have compiled their list of recommended students by now. I was checking in with Hertfordshire constantly and was eventually informed by them about 6 weeks ago that I didn't make the list. Only today did they email to say that they had reconfigured, and I'd made it. They apparently sent the list off this week, so really, there's no excuse for other unis not to inform students...it's just not fair. Call them, email them, pressure them, because it's not on! Sorry for the rant lol. My fingers are crossed for you, let me know how you get on.
Original post by RuthAlexandra
They honestly should be able to tell you where you are on the list by now. They know how many bursaries their uni is allocated (check out the department of health's document), and should have compiled their list of recommended students by now. I was checking in with Hertfordshire constantly and was eventually informed by them about 6 weeks ago that I didn't make the list. Only today did they email to say that they had reconfigured, and I'd made it. They apparently sent the list off this week, so really, there's no excuse for other unis not to inform students...it's just not fair. Call them, email them, pressure them, because it's not on! Sorry for the rant lol. My fingers are crossed for you, let me know how you get on.

I think we will probably know by next week as they have asked everyone to send in their degree certificates. Also they were my insurance so I called UCAS and requested it's changed to my firm and warwick as my insurance coz with Brunel you had to have firmed them to be considered. So I am really just praying for a miracle.
Original post by sam011
Hey
Has anyone heard back from University of Bradford yet about bursaries? anyone been successful? unsuccessful?

Hi sam011, our central admissions team have sent out an email today to all of our MA Social Work applicants confirming whether or not they've been successful in getting a bursary. If you haven't received this email or have any further questions please do get in touch.
Reply 475
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi sam011, our central admissions team have sent out an email today to all of our MA Social Work applicants confirming whether or not they've been successful in getting a bursary. If you haven't received this email or have any further questions please do get in touch.

Hi thanks I received the email i got the bursary, chuffed to bits
Original post by dez2015
I think we will probably know by next week as they have asked everyone to send in their degree certificates. Also they were my insurance so I called UCAS and requested it's changed to my firm and warwick as my insurance coz with Brunel you had to have firmed them to be considered. So I am really just praying for a miracle.

Were you allowed to change you firm for your insurance? Ive been wondering whether to swap mine but wasn't sure if I was allowed.
Original post by Justbychance
Were you allowed to change you firm for your insurance? Ive been wondering whether to swap mine but wasn't sure if I was allowed.

Yes I was. I will confirm by Monday though. It's a very very complicated thing if one of the universities is reluctant but I will hopefully let you know on Monday. That's my deadline.
Tbh, if there is a possibility that the other uni will nominate you I think you should change ASAP. Good luck
Anyone starting MA social work in september at University of Salford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending