The Student Room Group

MRes Film Studies at University of Birmingham

Hi! I'm looking to apply for Master's courses in Film Studies for 2015. I live in Birmingham and recently found out about the combined taught and research MRes in Film at the University. It's attractive to me because it would mean I'd be able to live at home while I study (after 3 years of undergrad living away) and is a good deal cheaper than the other options I've looked into. The research component is also bigger than a typical Master's (20,000 words with two taught modules and a research skills class), which suits me down to the ground and would allow me to get more of a taste of real research before making the decision on whether or not I want to do a PhD. But it's worrying that I can't find any info/opinions on it anywhere but the website. As prestigious as U of Birmingham is, it doesn't have much of a reputation in my subject area and I think it's a relatively new course, as well.

Does anyone know anything about this course? Do you think I would be better served taking on the financial burden right out of undergrad to live away from home to study at one of the more prestigious Film Studies departments: Warwick, KCL, UCL, UEA (if I can get in)?

Any and all comments will be very much appreciated. :smile:
If you can get an MRes and save money by living at home that sounds like a good deal to me.

Creative arts subjects were much of a muchness for me. Did ba drama at a russel group and ma music at an ex poly and was equally impressed with both unis in every respect. My point is that it doesn't always pay to get wrapped up in the whole prestige thing.

Original post by Skep93
Hi! I'm looking to apply for Master's courses in Film Studies for 2015. I live in Birmingham and recently found out about the combined taught and research MRes in Film at the University. It's attractive to me because it would mean I'd be able to live at home while I study (after 3 years of undergrad living away) and is a good deal cheaper than the other options I've looked into. The research component is also bigger than a typical Master's (20,000 words with two taught modules and a research skills class), which suits me down to the ground and would allow me to get more of a taste of real research before making the decision on whether or not I want to do a PhD. But it's worrying that I can't find any info/opinions on it anywhere but the website. As prestigious as U of Birmingham is, it doesn't have much of a reputation in my subject area and I think it's a relatively new course, as well.

Does anyone know anything about this course? Do you think I would be better served taking on the financial burden right out of undergrad to live away from home to study at one of the more prestigious Film Studies departments: Warwick, KCL, UCL, UEA (if I can get in)?

Any and all comments will be very much appreciated. :smile:
Reply 2
Personally, I'd be careful with an MRes if you don't yet know whether research is really your thing. It might not provide you with an awful lot of other career perspectives outside of this - but that's something I'd definitely bring up in a personal question to the programme director.
Reply 3
I'm applying for the MRes in Sexuality and Gender Studies at Birmingham. Like yourself, I already live here so that's handy. Did you study Film for your undergraduate? I studied Fine Art, so I'm used to working and researching independently and it's why a research course is a lot more attractive.
I'd say if you enjoyed the dissertation component as well as your subject, then research might be the way to go, although if it's a newer course I understand the hesitancy. Have you looked at the staff list to see if anybody has similar interests? You could send an email to them if you wanted to. I saw some of the film tutors had interests in gender in film, which is part of my proposal, and it looks like a pretty good department.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending