The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Is it a good idea to travel from Birmingham to Sheffield uni everyday?

You see I live in Birmingham, but was thinking to study at Sheffield..
Google says the journey takes 1hour and 30 min with the train (standard cross country train)... What do you think?? too long for everyday twice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IDIOSYNCRASY.
Google says the journey takes 1hour and 30 min with the train (standard cross country train)... What do you think?? too long for everyday twice?

Wouldn't recommend it. Especially when you have 9am. Throughout the year you'll become lazy and begin to skip your morning lectures. Plus you'll never know if the train will be late.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Why not live in student accommodation?!
It's better to live there tbh.
Not very doable if I'm honest. That journey could easily take much longer (say 2 hours) under slightly less favourable circumstances.
Walk to train station. Get train to Sheffield. Get from Sheffield station to Uni, and to the place you need to be. Will need to freshen up from all the walking too.
Original post by TLK
Wouldn't recommend it. Especially when you have 9am. Throughout the year you'll become lazy and begin to skip your morning lectures. Plus you'll never know if the train will be late.

That's exactly what I was afraid of...:ashamed2: My college is 20mins away and I'm late 2-3x a week ahhaaaa
terrible idea

who wants to spend a quarter of their waking day travelling
Is there a reason you don't want to live in student accommodation?
Original post by Exceptional

Original post by moonriver96
It's better to live there tbh.

Original post by hellodave5
Not very doable if I'm honest. That journey could easily take much longer (say 2 hours) under slightly less favourable circumstances.
Walk to train station. Get train to Sheffield. Get from Sheffield station to Uni, and to the place you need to be. Will need to freshen up from all the walking too.

what was I thinking :tongue: stupid question aha
thanks for your thoughts
THE POSITIVES: Crosscountry have plenty of space for chargers enabling you to work and great wifi access
NEGATIVES:
The wifi is costly, luckily I'm only on CrossCountry 6 times a year (2nd of 3 trains on each of the 3 return journeys to uni) and it's about £5 for 3 hours which is a lot
3 hours of travelling a day plus your onward journey = Costly + time consuming, and your work will most likely suffer

in short - I wouldn't.
Reply 11
Fantastic idea.

I live in Sheffield but I'm currently studying at a university in Barcelona, I commute via plane everyday.
Couldn't you get into Birmingham, it's a very good uni.

I have to say though, Sheffield is a very academic uni, think it's 10th in the UK for research quality.
Original post by jenigma
Why not live in student accommodation?!

Original post by Nangnang
Is there a reason you don't want to live in student accommodation?

I think I'm just not ready to move and change my lifestyle for the next 3-4 years... :frown:
Original post by 122025278
Couldn't you get into Birmingham, it's a very good uni.

I have to say though, Sheffield is a very academic uni, think it's 10th in the UK for research quality.

Birmingham IS very good but unfortunately they don't do architecture here
The train journey may take 90 minutes, but the train station in Sheffield is quite a long haul away from the university, and you probably don't live next door to the station in Brum either, so you can add at least another half an hour onto each end of the journey.
Bad. I have to allow at least an hour and a half to get by bus from the next town, never mind Birmingham! Better just to live there, it uses up way too much time every week and you'll probably grow tired of it after a while.
I think I'm just not ready to move and change my lifestyle for the next 3-4 years... :frown:

Fair enough. This is entirely my opinion only but I don't think it's a good idea. Travelling will tire you out and you will want to move closer anyway. It's not like school either so you won't have lectures 9-4pm and the costs will pile up high!

You should either consider Aston/Birmingham or find the courage to venture out on your own into Sheffield :tongue:
Birmingham IS very good but unfortunately they don't do architecture here

I'd advise against the long commute anyway, but especially with architecture, where you could be working late - and a train really doesn't provide the space you need for your work! :smile:
Original post by jenigma
Fair enough. This is entirely my opinion only but I don't think it's a good idea. Travelling will tire you out and you will want to move closer anyway. It's not like school either so you won't have lectures 9-4pm and the costs will pile up high!

You should either consider Aston/Birmingham or find the courage to venture out on your own into Sheffield :tongue:

ahaa :biggrin: you're right, I'll try and go for the second one (Y)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending