The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You shouldn't have to answer that question.

If you do, just put other.
Reply 2
Put what you are. What you consider yourself to be. I would say put you're an Atheist if you no longer hold religious beliefs. Or if they're wavering, there should be an option like "Unsure."
Reply 3
As it's an application for an internship rather than an application for a place in a Christian camp, I don't think it'll matter at all :smile:.

On a serious note, the only reason I can think of it being there is for any dietary requirements or any other way in which your faith might affect what you can do there/working hours. So it might be best to err on the side of caution and say Muslim, just in case you change your mind. But it's entirely up to you.
Anonymous
Hello there,

Im doing an application for an internship.

At the end of the form it says what religion are you.

The thing is I am a muslim, but i am slowly converting to an athiest.

Should i put muslim in the form or 'other'.

I dont know what to do, because from my name they can tell i am a muslim. but I dont hold muslim beliefs.

please help. thank you

As someone who used to be a practicing Christian, I started putting "other" or "no religon" on forms pretty quickly - 'tis a good feeling! :p:
Reply 6
Can you be half atheist and half muslim? seems like a contradiction to me, or are you questioning your faith? It's not unusual for people to question their faith, even those who still belong to one (I don't btw). But anyway you don't have to fill those forms in, they're just for crappy government statistics!!
Reply 8
Well, I just doing believe allot of the stuff.

I dont pray, I dont go to mosque, I dont do things a normal muslim would. I dont eat pork though.

I dont consider myself a muslim, maybe through my family or origin.

I am just confused? lol.
Reply 9
Well, I just doing believe allot of the stuff.

I dont pray, I dont go to mosque, I dont do things a normal muslim would. I dont eat pork though.

I dont consider myself a muslim, maybe through my family or origin.

I am just confused? lol.

No, it sounds like you've made your own choice about your beliefs.

You could just say you were vegetarian, if you wanted to avoid religious questions.
Anonymous
Hello there,

I dont know what to do, because from my name they can tell i am a muslim. but I dont hold muslim beliefs.

please help. thank you

you never HAVE to reveal your religion. At all. Ignore the question if you dont want to answer.

PS: how do you slowly convert to athiest? - either you're there or you arnt : )

surely its more like you can't be bothered with your religion and are getting lazy with it. :smile:
You slowly convert by becoming more and more sceptical (and perhaps cynical) about your beliefs, then eventually saying "oh ***** it" and crossing the line.
You slowly convert by becoming more and more sceptical (and perhaps cynical) about your beliefs, then eventually saying "oh ***** it" and crossing the line.
Laziness has nothing to do with it, in fact, it's lazier to just stick with the beliefs you have, as changing your entire lookout on life is quite traumatic.
Reply 13
i dont see why they ask this. one of my internship apps had a part saying 'religion, if in northern ireland'. bear in mind this was for an accountancy internship!

if you do not feel your religion is important, then just write n/a. the post about someone saying dietary requirements as the reason, why is this relavent? and couldnt they just ask about diets??

i guess its part of that diversity thing?
Reply 14
Anonymous
Hello there,

please help. thank you

i'm sure if you put either it wouldn't make a difference.
you don't get pre-judged because of what religion you are, they only ask for stats purposes.

i'm a muslim. if u don't mind me asking, why are you slowly converting?
fair enough that u are, i'm just curious why people switch.
and if its media related then.. i shall make no other comment.
Reply 15
lol, its nothing to do with media.

I havent really havent been religious since when i was 15, which was before September 11th and all that islamaphobia.

I play poker, i drink alcohol sometimes and I have had sex before marriage. Broken all the rules...I just dont follow what a muslim does.

lol.
Reply 16
oops sorry for the double 'havents' lol.
Reply 17
Mattmoy_2000
Laziness has nothing to do with it, in fact, it's lazier to just stick with the beliefs you have, as changing your entire lookout on life is quite traumatic.

Hmm...im not changing my enite lookout on life. I have been like this for many years. I dont hold any beliefs. So its not really traumatic for me. I am just going through a period to define what exactly I am. But tbh, I dont do what a normal muslim does....I have forgotten how to Rea the Koran, how to pray, I gamble sometimes (online poker) :wink:, drink a Smirnoff every 2 weeks or something...
shinytoy
i dont see why they ask this. one of my internship apps had a part saying 'religion, if in northern ireland'. bear in mind this was for an accountancy internship!

if you do not feel your religion is important, then just write n/a. the post about someone saying dietary requirements as the reason, why is this relavent? and couldnt they just ask about diets??

i guess its part of that diversity thing?

in northern ireland they dont let catholics and protestants to work together its why they ask specifically.
Surely your name isn't indicative of your religion, just of your ancestry/where you were born. If you are an atheist, just put 'None' or 'Atheist'.

Latest

Trending

Trending