The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peeka
If an applicant has been pooled and invited for an interview elsewhere, does that mean the preference college is definitely no longer interested or is it possible that the preference college can still "fish" said applicant?

It can happen but is rare and would only apply if the fishing college changed it's mind.
Good morning Lucy!

I have a question regarding the offer conditions and english language requirements!
If the condition says A*A*A with A* required in Economics, then the other A*and A can be achieved from any subjects? For example, each A* and A can be avhieved from Maths and Further maths??☺

Also, if I took Ielts in July 2014 which is still valid until July 2016( for international student). Does this mean I can submit this result or do I have to resit it?

Many thanks!
Original post by masteroflendic
Good morning Lucy!

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Good morning Lucy!

I have a question regarding the offer conditions and english language requirements!
If the condition says A*A*A with A* required in Economics, then the other A*and A can be achieved from any subjects? For example, each A* and A can be avhieved from Maths and Further maths??☺

Also, if I took Ielts in July 2014 which is still valid until July 2016( for international student). Does this mean I can submit this result or do I have to resit it?

Many thanks!

Hi there,

If the only subject specification is A* in Economics, then yes, the other A* and A can be achieved in Maths and Further Maths. (I assume these were the other two subjects you declared on your UCAS form, in any case?)

Technically, you need to have IELTS results dating from within two years of entry (i.e. still valid in October 2016). You could double-check with the college concerned whether they would be happy to accept your 2014 results, but they may well be asking for a new set in order to expedite the visa process.
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Hi there,

If the only subject specification is A* in Economics, then yes, the other A* and A can be achieved in Maths and Further Maths? (I assume these were the other two subjects you declared on your UCAS form, in any case?)

Technically, you need to have IELTS results dating from within two years of entry (i.e. still valid in October 2016). You could double-check with the college concerned whether they would be happy to accept your 2014 results, but they may well be asking for a new set in order to expedite the visa process.

Hello Lucy Cavendish college!!☺

They required A* in Economics and since I already achieved A*in Maths, the other A can be achieved from either Further Maths or Physics which were stated in my UCAS form.
So theoretically, I can drop Physics and then carry on Further Maths to meet the condition??:smile:

Thanks again!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
I'm planning to apply to St Edmund's College for the March 1st deadline as a mature student for BA English. I'm not sure how this deadline works - do the mature colleges only give out interviews/offers on a certain day after the 1st March or could it be anytime after I submit my application?
Original post by EmpireofRome
Hi,
I'm planning to apply to St Edmund's College for the March 1st deadline as a mature student for BA English. I'm not sure how this deadline works - do the mature colleges only give out interviews/offers on a certain day after the 1st March or could it be anytime after I submit my application?

Interviews for all the mature colleges are currently scheduled for the period April 4-14, so you are likely to hear whether you have been shortlisted at some point in mid March, I would imagine.
Hello Lucy Cavendish college!!☺

They required A* in Economics and since I already achieved A*in Maths, the other A can be achieved from either Further Maths or Physics which were stated in my UCAS form.
So theoretically, I can drop Physics and then carry on Further Maths to meet the condition??:smile:

Thanks again!

Well, theoretically, but I think that the small print on your offer letter will state that you have to notify the College if you propose to vary any of the qualifications included on your UCAS application - so best double check with them directly!
Thank you very much for the reply!!

Sorry to bother you again but lastly, if the letter says "You must complete the qualification outlined in your UCAS application and obtain A*A*A in forthcoming A2 examinations" , then does this mean I have to carry on all the 4 subjects?? (e.g at least pass in the 4th subject?)

Also, the phrase "in forthcoming A2 examinations" is just a general phrase for the applicants? Can this mean my A* grade in Maths(I took c1 c2 c3 c4 m1 m2 and achieved A* already..) be excluded in the condition? It will be really surprising if this means A*(Maths) +A*A*A with A* in economics for the condition!! Is it possbile them to require 3A*&A for humanity applicant?

I always appreciate your kind repond!!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
What's the mean and modal age for the current students at the mature colleges? The age related statistics I've seen concerned teh University as a whole :holmes:.
Well, theoretically, but I think that the small print on your offer letter will state that you have to notify the College if you propose to vary any of the qualifications included on your UCAS application - so best double check with them directly!

Mine certainly did! It said I'd have till April to do so.
Thank you very much for the reply!!

Sorry to bother you again but lastly, if the letter says "You must complete the qualification outlined in your UCAS application and obtain A*A*A in forthcoming A2 examinations" , then does this mean I have to carry on all the 4 subjects?? (e.g at least pass in the 4th subject?)

Also, the phrase "in forthcoming A2 examinations" is just a general phrase for the applicants? Can this mean my A* grade in Maths(I took c1 c2 c3 c4 m1 m2 and achieved A* already..) be excluded in the condition? It will be really surprising if this means A*(Maths) +A*A*A with A* in economics for the condition!! Is it possbile them to require 3A*&A for humanity applicant?

I always appreciate your kind repond!!:smile:

If the letter explicitly says "forthcoming A2 examinations", that means it does not include the A* in Maths that you have already achieved. So yes, technically, they are asking you for A*A*A*A. It is pretty common for Economics applicants to be asked for A*A*A (and that will be the standard offer from next year), but I think you could reasonably e-mail them and ask why their offer to you is so high when you already have an A* at Maths A-level. They may have a perfectly reasonable explanation, but there is no harm in checking.
If the letter explicitly says "forthcoming A2 examinations", that means it does not include the A* in Maths that you have already achieved. So yes, technically, they are asking you for A*A*A*A. It is pretty common for Economics applicants to be asked for A*A*A (and that will be the standard offer from next year), but I think you could reasonably e-mail them and ask why their offer to you is so high when you already have an A* at Maths A-level. They may have a perfectly reasonable explanation, but there is no harm in checking.

That was my read too, but s/he's applied for LandEc not Economics. (Known from posts elsewhere.) So the offer is definitely quite high...

Defo check again with the college :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
xxx

Many thanks!

If you need a visa you must comply strictly with the ielts requirements. One day late will be a rejection from the Home Office. Test bookings fill up in many countries during the summer.
Original post by keromedic
What's the mean and modal age for the current students at the mature colleges? The age related statistics I've seen concerned teh University as a whole :holmes:.

I can't give you figures for the four mature colleges, collectively. However, my understanding from my colleagues at Hughes Hall, St Edmund's and Wolfson is that the age profile there is very similar to the age profile at Lucy Cavendish. Our mean age at entry to undergraduate courses is 22, and the modal age is 21.
Original post by jneill
That was my read too, but s/he's applied for LandEc not Economics. (Known from posts elsewhere.) So the offer is definitely quite high...

Defo check again with the college :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They used the same wording for me. Though I've only an A and not an A* in maths. After flendic PMed me, I did email HH admissions but I agree with you that forthcoming examinations would be the ones we're sitting in June (for me namely Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology).

hughes.PNG

I can't give you figures for the four mature colleges, collectively. However, my understanding from my colleagues at Hughes Hall, St Edmund's and Wolfson is that the age profile there is very similar to the age profile at Lucy Cavendish. Our mean age at entry to undergraduate courses is 22, and the modal age is 21.

Thank you :holmes:. That's what I'd guessed. My age then :h:.
(edited 8 years ago)

That is interesting, because I don't believe that when Wolfson and Lucy were founded anyone would have perceived that to be your mission.

That is really in a continuum with the mainstream undergraduate colleges.
Original post by nulli tertius
That is interesting, because I don't believe that when Wolfson and Lucy were founded anyone would have perceived that to be your mission.

That is really in a continuum with the mainstream undergraduate colleges.

To be fair, neither Wolfson and Lucy took undergraduates at all when they were founded, and the educational landscape has changed dramatically since then: full-time mature students, nationally, are getting younger and younger, and many of the routes to University that used to be open to mature students, in terms of academic preparation, are now closed.

I do and don't agree with you that we are "in a continuum" with the mainstream colleges; the mean age conceals a number of outliers, obviously (we have one first year in her 50s), and many of our 20 somethings have had a trajectory which means that they are, for various reasons, more comfortable at a college where they are not surrounded by school-leavers.
Hello LCA,

I am an international applicant for an affiliated BA. I got a condition of getting a 2.1 equivalent degree. I am presently finishing my undergraduate degree in History from the University of Delhi, India.
I wanted to know what the conversion of the 2.1 equivalent is in terms of Indian degrees? First division or a given score?

Thank You

Latest

Trending

Trending