The Student Room Group

Oxford/LSE 3rd year application + Unit grades

Hey,
I'm thinking of applying to do economics at LSE and Oxford, along with others, during my 3rd year. I have had to stay an extra year because I didn't take up maths the first year, not because I failed it.

So far I have:

A2 Economics - A
A2 Physics - B
BTEC Music Tech - Dist.
Cambridge GPR - D3
AS Maths - A

and I am predicted:
A2 Maths - A*
AS Further Maths - A
Welsh Baccalaureate - A* (Doing it in a year)

Q1. Do you think it is worth me applying to LSE (Economics and Economic History) / Oxford(PPE)? Would I be disadvantaged by a third year?

Q.2 Do I have to declare my uni grades? The uni's say they don't use them to make decisions but should I? I do have one or two B's in some of the units which may not look good...

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by apettah
Hey,
I'm thinking of applying to do economics at LSE and Oxford, along with others, during my 3rd year. I have had to stay an extra year because I didn't take up maths the first year, not because I failed it.

So far I have:

A2 Economics - A
A2 Physics - B
BTEC Music Tech - Dist.
Cambridge GPR - D3
AS Maths - A

and I am predicted:
A2 Maths - A*
AS Further Maths - A
Welsh Baccalaureate - A* (Doing it in a year)

Q1. Do you think it is worth me applying to LSE (Economics and Economic History) / Oxford(PPE)? Would I be disadvantaged by a third year?
Provided you accept these as high risk choices, and have less risky choices for your other three, no reason why not (although you should check whether LSE would be looking for a History A level, and also check Oxford's preferred subjects, college by college as they do vary). As to taking a third year to take additional subjects, this shouldn't be a problem.

Q.2 Do I have to declare my uni grades? The uni's say they don't use them to make decisions but should I? I do have one or two B's in some of the units which may not look good...

Thanks!
My advice is ALWAYS to declare unit grades. Otherwise, the admissions tutors will wonder what you're hiding. The Bs might be a disadvantage if it comes to a tie-breaker, but if the grades aren't there at all you are putting yourself out of contention in any case.
your chance of an interview at Oxford would depend on how well you did at GCSE and how well you do in the TSA http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/about-tsa-oxford/

Best to speak to admission tutors at the colleges directly. They don't mind being asked about information you can't find on the website. Not much time left to decide on Oxford.
Did you take three A2's in a year? I was looking at Oxford's website and they do not mind third years at A-level provided you took three A2's in one year as they believe you need to prove that you can cope with that level workload.
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
Provided you accept these as high risk choices, and have less risky choices for your other three, no reason why not (although you should check whether LSE would be looking for a History A level, and also check Oxford's preferred subjects, college by college as they do vary). As to taking a third year to take additional subjects, this shouldn't be a problem.

My advice is ALWAYS to declare unit grades. Otherwise, the admissions tutors will wonder what you're hiding. The Bs might be a disadvantage if it comes to a tie-breaker, but if the grades aren't there at all you are putting yourself out of contention in any case.

Thank you for the reply! I do have three back up options with AAB-ABB entry requirements so that's okay... I'm glad the extra year won't be an issue!

Okay, I think I will do it then. As their website says they don't look at unit grades, I thought that I might be able to not include it...
Reply 5
Original post by apettah
Thank you for the reply! I do have three back up options with AAB-ABB entry requirements so that's okay... I'm glad the extra year won't be an issue!

Okay, I think I will do it then. As their website says they don't look at unit grades, I thought that I might be able to not include it...
You mean Oxford's? That may be relating to the supplementary information they ask for - Cambridge insists on knowing all UMS for every exam you've ever taken, whereas Oxford apparently doesn't.

Also remember that the other unis you are applying to, even if their grade range is lower, will be looking at greater numbers of applicants, and therefore your application may be undermined by not having unit grade information included. As I say, the admissions tutors will think "what are they hiding?" because top-dollar grades always get declared :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
You mean Oxford's? That may be relating to the supplementary information they ask for - Cambridge insists on knowing all UMS for every exam you've ever taken, whereas Oxford apparently doesn't.

Also remember that the other unis you are applying to, even if their grade range is lower, will be looking at greater numbers of applicants, and therefore your application may be undermined by not having unit grade information included. As I say, the admissions tutors will think "what are they hiding?" because top-dollar grades always get declared :smile:

For Oxford yes, and all the other uni websites that I'm applying to also state they do not need students to declare module grades.

I see what you mean. Okay, would I just include them for my AS results? or for my A2 results as well? As I have 2 A2s done and dusted already and one AS done so far.
Reply 7
Not sure if me weighing in will help at all but I applied for Ox PPE last year with ABBD at AS and still got an interview (which means given that 49.6% get taken to interview) that they must have been considering me for an offer! So don't shy away from declaring bad grades.

Happy ending I've now got AAA and am reapplying :wink:
Original post by Dprince
Not sure if me weighing in will help at all but I applied for Ox PPE last year with ABBD at AS and still got an interview (which means given that 49.6% get taken to interview) that they must have been considering me for an offer! So don't shy away from declaring bad grades.

Happy ending I've now got AAA and am reapplying :wink:

Did you have extenuating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Teddysmith123
Did you have extenuating circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope! I sat History at another school and my teacher was **** for computing AS (D) but that's about it haha.

Just kicked ass on the rest of my application lol :P
Original post by apettah
For Oxford yes, and all the other uni websites that I'm applying to also state they do not need students to declare module grades.

I see what you mean. Okay, would I just include them for my AS results? or for my A2 results as well? As I have 2 A2s done and dusted already and one AS done so far.
For all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending