The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from a C to an A?

Hi everyone.

I'm currently in Year 13 and was pretty disheartened by my AS level grades - especially in English Literature.

I've had my heart set on studying English Lit. at university so I've been aiming for at least an A at A level. However, I got an overall grade C (exam grade (LTA1A) was a D and my coursework grade (LITA2) was an A).

My teacher got my exam paper remarked but the grade didn't change and unfortunately the exam board (AQA) doesn't allow you to resit the paper.

My teacher has asked for my exam script to be sent so that she can see what went wrong. In all of my mocks, I was getting high Bs so getting a D was a complete shock.

Seeing as I cannot resit the paper, I was wondering if it is still possible to get an A overall at A Level if I do really well this year for A2? I know I can definitely get a B, but I would much prefer an A/A*, of course. :tongue:

Thanks a lot!
Original post by zawakei
Hi everyone.

I'm currently in Year 13 and was pretty disheartened by my AS level grades - especially in English Literature.

I've had my heart set on studying English Lit. at university so I've been aiming for at least an A at A level. However, I got an overall grade C (exam grade (LTA1A) was a D and my coursework grade (LITA2) was an A).

My teacher got my exam paper remarked but the grade didn't change and unfortunately the exam board (AQA) doesn't allow you to resit the paper.

My teacher has asked for my exam script to be sent so that she can see what went wrong. In all of my mocks, I was getting high Bs so getting a D was a complete shock.

Seeing as I cannot resit the paper, I was wondering if it is still possible to get an A overall at A Level if I do really well this year for A2? I know I can definitely get a B, but I would much prefer an A/A*, of course. :tongue:

Thanks a lot!

I'm in the same boat with Maths :frown:
It is possible but it might be very hard depending on how high/low your C is.

How many UMS points do you have?

Also, yes you can resit. I just checked
(edited 9 years ago)
Pretty much on the same position as you with English Literature :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zawakei
Hi everyone.

Thanks a lot!

The thing is, I believe the paper we had for LTA was a difficult one that lead people to believe they'd done better than they thought.

When I did the coursework, I got a low C which was a real heartbreak and made me almost give up hope. In the exam I recall feeling so beaten up and didn't know what to write. In the mocks we did all year I got consistent D grades.

Then to my surprise, on results day, I got an overall A (just - by 2 UMS)
People who did better in the coursework seemed to struggle with the exam and vice versa. (Some who got A's in the coursework at my sixth form got an overall D grade.) I think more time had to be spent on quotations on sources rather than writing some eloquent, well-established pieces in the exam.
Reply 5
Original post by Da Di Doo
It is possible but it might be very hard depending on how high/low your C is.

How many UMS points do you have?

Also, yes you can resit. I just checked

I got 128 UMS.

Really? My teacher said I couldn't...
Original post by zawakei
I got 128 UMS.

Ask your teacher for A LEVEL (not AS) how many UMS points you need for an A.
I think you need 420 (but check with your teacher in case I am wrong).
420-128= 292 UMS points needed for an A overall.

So make sure the UMS points you get on your coursework and exam add up to 292.

If this is your specification then I'm pretty sure you can resit (read the resit section)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2740-W-SP-14.PDF
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
My friend in the year above resat both his AS exams in business studies, and went from a C at AS, to an A* overall.
Reply 8
Original post by Thehonestlawyer
The thing is, I believe the paper we had for LTA was a difficult one that lead people to believe they'd done better than they thought.

When I did the coursework, I got a low C which was a real heartbreak and made me almost give up hope. In the exam I recall feeling so beaten up and didn't know what to write. In the mocks we did all year I got consistent D grades.

Then to my surprise, on results day, I got an overall A (just - by 2 UMS)
People who did better in the coursework seemed to struggle with the exam and vice versa. (Some who got A's in the coursework at my sixth form got an overall D grade.) I think more time had to be spent on quotations on sources rather than writing some eloquent, well-established pieces in the exam.

I noticed that too. A lot of the people in my class did much better in coursework or the exam in comparison to the other. I felt pretty happy after I had done the exam since I really liked the questions and thought I did well but apparently not haha.

I'm hoping my script with enlighten me on what happened.
Original post by zawakei

Thanks a lot!

Wait wait wait what?!?!?! Do you have anything showing this? I wanted to resit because I didn't do well at all on my paper (it was Eng Lang/Lit though) on the day for some reason (I've looked at my script already) and nobody's told me that you can't re-sit - I'll be gutted if I can't because I personally need 187/200 to get an A* or else I end up with a B (I got a C at AS). I think it's something to do with your overall UMS score - if I want to get an A an overall I'd need something like 94% per exam/CW at A2 which means I get an A*. Is it just a rumour? I really hope not D:

Gotta start working from now then :wink:

Original post by zawakei
I got 128 UMS.

Just looked back on earlier posts and that sounds like it might be a school policy. Push for it though, your results aren't reflective of your abilities and you deserve to prove that :P Everyone has bad exam days...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Da Di Doo
Ask your teacher for A LEVEL (not AS) how many UMS points you need for an A.
I think you need 420 (but check with your teacher in case I am wrong).
420-128= 292 UMS points needed for an A overall.

So make sure the UMS points you get on your coursework and exam add up to 292.

If this is your specification then I'm pretty sure you can resit (read the resit section)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2740-W-SP-14.PDF

Thank you very much for the information!

That is indeed my specification. Hm, should I ask my teacher again about it?
Well, hopefully if Da Di Doo is correct, it's recommended to go ahead and resit. (I would but have to do too many other subjects) I also noticed that people who wrote more and didn't use their texts did worse. Perhaps the examiner was trying to be against rambling and wanted a précis?
Reply 12
Original post by Blues Clues
Wait wait wait what?!?!?! Do you have anything showing this? I wanted to resit because I didn't do well at all on my paper (it was Eng Lang/Lit though) on the day for some reason (I've looked at my script already) and nobody's told me that you can't re-sit - I'll be gutted if I can't because I personally need 187/200 to get an A* or else I end up with a B (I got a C at AS). I think it's something to do with your overall UMS score - if I want to get an A an overall I'd need something like 94% per exam/CW at A2 which means I get an A*. Is it just a rumour? I really hope not D:

Gotta start working from now then :wink:

Just looked back on earlier posts and that sounds like it might be a school policy. Push for it though, your results aren't reflective of your abilities and you deserve to prove that :P Everyone has bad exam days...

I am now very confused haha. I asked my teacher if it was possible to resit the paper and she said I couldn't. I don't think it's a school policy since I'm resitting two modules for my other AS subjects. I think that I may need to ask her again about it, perhaps she was mistaken?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zawakei
I am now very confused haha. I asked my teacher if it was possible to resit the paper and she said I couldn't. I don't think it's a school policy since I'm resitting a two modules for my other AS subjects. I think that I may need to ask her again about it, perhaps she was mistaken?

Hm... perhaps ask your exam officer first? I think they'd know best or perhaps your head of sixth form? You don't have to tell your teacher though :')
Without a resit, technically no. You have 128 UMS, which is 64%. You'd need 96% in your second year to get 80% overall, which is an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest