The Student Room Group

My family want me to get married instead of letting me focus on my academics.

I, as an individual I'm specifically outraged from this idea.
They always say 'you're working too much', 'stop working', 'why do you keep working'? 'want to become professor or something?' 'girls are not accounted for school, they're only good and useful for marriage and cleaning'.
Can you infer from these everyday quote extractions why my exasperation flares?
I only care about my academics & research only, nothing else can compare to this.
Got 3 research projects to do & a couple of conferences to go to, and they still, probably, exclude me from going!
I hate marriage, family & kids, I just don't believe in it, not needed in my life.
They also tell me off from not talking to people, but guess what?
I'm an introvert and I keep social interactions to a minimum.
Advice please?
South Asian & 14.
Thinking of leaving home at 18.
Reply 1
Original post by inachigeek21
'want to become professor or something?'

Just say "Yes. Do you intend to help me or hinder me?". Or say you'd like to turn out like Ada Lovelace, Marie Curie, or Grace Hopper. Hugely, HUGELY, influential geeks and amongst my heroes and role models.

'girls are not accounted for school, they're only good and useful for marriage and cleaning'

Of course not. That's why there's no women working as teachers. :s-smilie: And being a Head of State and Head of the Commonwealth is dead easy I'm sure. Although Queen Elizabeth's daughter is a force to be reckoned with too.

I hate marriage, family & kids, I just don't believe in it, not needed in my life.

A valid feeling at 14. When you are 34 you may feel differently. So you need something to do for the next 20 years to keep you busy - how about an education and a career. THEN worry about marriage, family and kids.

Many, many women are doing just that.

Like the Asian women in this news story. They're ROCKET SCIENTISTS!!! Or how about an Asian brain surgeon? Not useful? Pah!

They also tell me off from not talking to people, but guess what?
I'm an introvert and I keep social interactions to a minimum.
Sounds like you need to be going to conferences and lectures and other environments where you need to interact with other people. Who knows, keep going to such events and you "might meet a nice boy and settle down". :wink: Or not! :colone:

Advice please?

Be yourself and be successful and happy. Or be oppressed, miserable and bitter for the rest of your life. But you already knew that.

Can you play the race card? "Many Asian women are getting jobs in politics, medicine and science. Why can't I be like them? Why must you make me continue a stereotype that white people despise?"

Can you play the immigration card? "Why did you/your parents come here if it was not to give your children a chance in life? If you just wanted me to live on state handouts, why didn't you just leave me in an orphanage?"

Overwhelm their arguments by making a plan and putting it up on a noticeboard in your room:
Getting a Worthwhile Career
I need x GCSEs in subject1, subject2, subject 3 and y more.
I need x A Levels in subject1, subject2 ...
I need to find out which universities are best for these subjects: subject1, subject2, ...
Find out if I need a Masters Degree
Find out what careers options there are in subject1, subject2 ...
Find out what volunteering options I could start doing at 16 that would help my studies.

If you actually do start work on that plan now, you will be amazed how many teachers and others will help you make it happen.

Look at the National Careers Service for ideas for the sort of thing you might want to do in life. The decisions you make in the next 3 years will help make your dreams come true so much more quickly.

Thinking of leaving home at 18.
That's why universities have halls of residence; it is recognised many young people need to get away from the home environment to flourish.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
You are 14. Finish your studies and live half your life again. Then you will be in a position to consider whether or not you want to have a marriage, kids etc. Hell, you might even be in your mid-30's before you decide that you want to.
Original post by Simes
Just say "Yes. Do you intend to help me or hinder me?". Or say you'd like to turn out like Ada Lovelace, Marie Curie, or Grace Hopper. Hugely, HUGELY, influential geeks and amongst my heroes and role models.

Of course not. That's why there's no women working as teachers. :s-smilie: And being a Head of State and Head of the Commonwealth is dead easy I'm sure. Although Queen Elizabeth's daughter is a force to be reckoned with too.

A valid feeling at 14. When you are 34 you may feel differently. So you need something to do for the next 20 years to keep you busy - how about an education and a career. THEN worry about marriage, family and kids.

Many, many women are doing just that.

Like the Asian women in this news story. They're ROCKET SCIENTISTS!!! Or how about an Asian brain surgeon? Not useful? Pah!

Sounds like you need to be going to conferences and lectures and other environments where you need to interact with other people. Who knows, keep going to such events and you "might meet a nice boy and settle down". :wink: Or not! :colone:

Be yourself and be successful and happy. Or be oppressed, miserable and bitter for the rest of your life. But you already knew that.

Can you play the race card? "Many Asian women are getting jobs in politics, medicine and science. Why can't I be like them? Why must you make me continue a stereotype that white people despise?"

Can you play the immigration card? "Why did you/your parents come here if it was not to give your children a chance in life? If you just wanted me to live on state handouts, why didn't you just leave me in an orphanage?"

Overwhelm their arguments by making a plan and putting it up on a noticeboard in your room:

If you actually do start work on that plan now, you will be amazed how many teachers and others will help you make it happen.

Look at the National Careers Service for ideas for the sort of thing you might want to do in life. The decisions you make in the next 3 years will help make your dreams come true so much more quickly.

That's why universities have halls of residence; it is recognised many young people need to get away from the home environment to flourish.

I truly appreciate your response!
I don't know how to express my feelings of appreciation to you... well.. hi?
Reply 4
I truly appreciate your response!
I hope it is helpful.

I don't know how to express my feelings of appreciation to you... well.. hi?
Oh, I wouldn't ask for much. Just ask you to change the world for the better at some time in the future by doing something you are good at and enjoy. :smile:

Random tip: once you gain employment doing something you love, you'll never have to do a day's work in your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending