The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Computer Science in Warwick

Hey everyone!

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has applied for CompSci in Warwick or is currently studying there! What do you think of the course and the university?
I am an international student so I won't be able to attend many open days, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elisabetev
Hey everyone!

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has applied for CompSci in Warwick or is currently studying there! What do you think of the course and the university?
I am an international student so I won't be able to attend many open days, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Hello I'm a warwick student studying MEng Computer Science. This is my first week at warwick actually. I can't comment on the workload as I haven't really started yet. But you will be expected to work and study in your own time- in my first lecture I had to go and get a book to understand what the lecturer was talking about. :smile:

I'm from Northern Ireland so I can tell you now everything that you could need you could get from argos in coventry or wilko in the same place as tesco - cannon park shopping centre

Course is brilliant and there is so much flexibility in what you can choose in your optional modules. Between languages and more CS topics and philosophy.

The Library is huge and has tons of books so don't worry about buying any although I did buy a few.

There are so many activities and societies. From brass, to Warwick Association of Master Builders (basically Lego) and Computer Design Society.
There is also lots of events and parties if that is your thing.
There is pool in the SU upstairs which I greatly enjoy playing with my friends.
It is a very nice and friendly environment in my flats. I have a few international students in my halls.

------Stuff about accommodation-------
---WARNING---This might be biased :wink:---------
I live in Westwood which is about 10mins slow walk from the computer science building. And about 7 mins or more from Tesco's - nice if you want to go a quick run to get some food, and Westwood is close to post room so quick to get mail.

If you would like to know anymore just quote me otherwise I will forget to look back here. Good luck with your PS/Interview :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

I applied to study Computer Science at Warwick and I received an AAA offer today! I haven't been to any of their events or open days yet, but from their website and prospectus, it looks like a very good university in general and their Computer Science department looks like a very nice place to study.

I'm going to their open day on the 25th of this month so I'd be happy to let you know what I think after I've physically seen it.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 4
Original post by mauriceyap
I applied to study Computer Science at Warwick and I received an AAA offer today! I haven't been to any of their events or open days yet, but from their website and prospectus, it looks like a very good university in general and their Computer Science department looks like a very nice place to study.

I'm going to their open day on the 25th of this month so I'd be happy to let you know what I think after I've physically seen it.

Hey! Congratulations on your offer! If you can give me some insight after the 25th on your opinion of Warwick I'd be very grateful.
Thank you and jashfield730 for your comments. Do you mind me asking where did you apply besides Warwick?
Original post by mauriceyap

Just wondering, what were your grade predictions?
Original post by holdyourbreath
Just wondering, what were your grade predictions?

They were:

Maths - A*

Further Maths - A

Physics - A*

Music - A*

(Extended Project - A*)

(edited 2 weeks ago)
Hey! Congratulations on your offer! If you can give me some insight after the 25th on your opinion of Warwick I'd be very grateful.
Thank you and jashfield730 for your comments. Do you mind me asking where did you apply besides Warwick?

My choices were:

Cambridge (Churchill College)

Imperial College London

Warwick

Bristol

Birmingham

I applied to

Warwick (duh) :smile: - got offer AAA with M and FM or A*AA with M as A*
Bristol - got offer A*AA with M and FM
Queens, Belfast - got offer AAB - I think
Cambridge - got rejected after interview stage

In warwick you will find a lot of cambridge rejects. I love the area as I used to live in the countryside and warwick has a more countryside feel to the university compared to something like london or bristol. That is why you don't see any london uni's on the ones I applied to I just hated the tight packed buildings. In warwick there is so much space everywhere which is good for football playing or ultimate frisbee on the grassy areas

Feel free to ask any more questions.
(edited 9 years ago)

I went to visit the department today as I'm not able to on their open day. In many ways, I think it's been more useful on a normal day.

I emailed the Computer Science department whether it would be okay to just go into the department to have a look around, but one of their lecturers was kind enough to give me a personal tour of the department. The thing that really stood out was the friendly atmosphere. I went into a couple of labs and spoke to several students and points about the department that kept coming up again and again were that all staff are really friendly and approachable, the atmosphere among students is really good and it's just a really relaxed and enjoyable (but at the same time, hard-working) place. I really loved the department; facilities looked great and physically felt really new and modern.

From what I was told, Warwick has a real focus on teaching computing to equip you with skills for a life-long career in it, as opposed to teaching you software engineering and how to program in a couple of specific languages. Many of the people I spoke to, like me, didn't have any programming experience when they started their course. The department also has really good links with large and small companies and there are opportunities to study at foreign universities (particularly Hong Kong UST). Apparently, Warwick graduates are really strongly targeted by recruiters and some are hired on the spot by companies who pay good money to go to the university to recruit.

I also went round the rest of the university. The campus is geographically quite isolated and definitely feels it as there weren't many members of public on campus. The library is quite nice and modern, quite a good place to study from what I saw. Warwick also has an active student union its building has lots of shops, banks, restaurants and bars. There's a strong sense of student culture there as well; there was some spontaneous busking going on and some student stalls and stuff. The university definitely has character.

Hope that helps!
My friend is applying for this course (I think)!
Yeah I'm applying to do Computer Science at Warwick, hopefully I'll get an offer. XD
Applied and received my offer, maybe we will be colleagues guys :biggrin:
Original post by Vas87thRD
Applied and received my offer, maybe we will be colleagues guys :biggrin:

Also got an offer and its very likely to be my first choice... maybe colleagues indeed :biggrin:
Original post by Skulitom
Also got an offer and its very likely to be my first choice... maybe colleagues indeed :biggrin:

G400 or G403? I went for the second one :smile:

G403
Reply 17
Got an AAA offer for Warwick but also an A*AA for Southampton. Cannot decide between the two! (At least they are my top choices :biggrin:)

Hey are you from Russia by any chance? just curious since i`m from Russia and it would be nice having someone to talk to in your first language at uni who is in the same course as well.
Applied for G403, got unconditional (already have my A Levels), going to firm it soon. By far the best department I've been to.

Quick Reply

Latest