The Student Room Group

Nottingham A108 Medicine with a Foundation Year 2015 Entry

Hi budding medics!

I was trying to look for a thread for this course, but couldn't find one so just thought I'd start one off! :tongue:

Please feel free to post your stats here and to have a general discussion about other widening access courses to Medicine (BM6 Southampton, A104 UEA etc).

So first things first, here are my stats!

GCSE's: 5A*'s 3A's 1.5B's Double Distinction ICT + Workskills BTEC Level 2 (highest in my secondary school including English and Maths)
AS: ABBB (Psychology, Biology, Chemistry & History)
UKCAT: VR 500, QR 670, AR 480, DA 520, SJT Band 1

Work experience:
2 days shadowing plastic surgeon at Stoke Mandeville Hospital
1 day shadowing an anaesthetist at Luton and Dunstable University Hospital
1 day shadowing a trainee paediatrician during a trip to Malawi
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I will be applying to Southampton's Medicine with a foundation year course!

My stats are as follows:
8A*s 2As at GCSE
AAAA at AS
ABB at a level, however I am repeating my 2 Bs
UKCAT: 30th September

Work experience:
Week in A&E
Week in QUB Infection and Immunity centre for medical research
Volunteer at NI Children's Hospice
I spent 2 weeks in Zambia volunteering this summer - this included working alongside and helping to empower some of the most impoverished, marginalised people in this world who also suffered from complex medical conditions
Original post by lboyle426
I think I will be applying to Southampton's Medicine with a foundation year course!

My stats are as follows:
8A*s 2As at GCSE
AAAA at AS
ABB at a level, however I am repeating my 2 Bs
UKCAT: 30th September

Work experience:
Week in A&E
Week in QUB Infection and Immunity centre for medical research
Volunteer at NI Children's Hospice
I spent 2 weeks in Zambia volunteering this summer - this included working alongside and helping to empower some of the most impoverished, marginalised people in this world who also suffered from complex medical conditions

Hi, great stats! I'm assuming you're a reapplicant than if you've achieved ABB at A level? Or am I grossly mistaken? :tongue: Fantastic! I'm also applying to BM6 Southampton
Reply 3
Original post by Hamzah Amir Khan
Hi, great stats! I'm assuming you're a reapplicant than if you've achieved ABB at A level? Or am I grossly mistaken? :tongue: Fantastic! I'm also applying to BM6 Southampton

Thank you! Yeah, I'm a reapplicant. I didn't apply for this course last year, but definitely doing so this year!

Good luck with that! :smile:

Any idea what they place most importance on when it comes to making it to interview?
I see, hopefully you get an offer!

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/peripheral-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/CB7AA54C21BE4CE7A15A3FDD920CFCD9/selection_policy_for_2014_entry.pdf

From what is says in this PDF it seems that once you meet the minimum academic and social criteria, personal statement and interview scores are the most important and there is no favouring a person who has 10A*s at GCSE over someone who has met the minimum requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by Hamzah Amir Khan
I see, hopefully you get an offer!

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/peripheral-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/CB7AA54C21BE4CE7A15A3FDD920CFCD9/selection_policy_for_2014_entry.pdf

From what is says in this PDF it seems that once you meet the minimum academic and social criteria, personal statement and interview scores are the most important and there is no favouring a person who has 10A*s at GCSE over someone who has met the minimum requirements.

Thank you! I really appreciate it :smile:

When it comes to getting an interview, it is all based on meeting the eligibility criteria and minimum academic criteria - and then your personal statement just?
Original post by lboyle426
Thank you! I really appreciate it :smile:

When it comes to getting an interview, it is all based on meeting the eligibility criteria and minimum academic criteria - and then your personal statement just?

Yes :yep:
Hi Guys! I am on the Nottingham A108 course in the 2014 cohort, so if you have any questions about the application process or the course itself (a little later on in the year, as my first sessions start tomorrow!) or anything else, feel free to ask! :smile:
Reply 8
Hi , what are your stats please
? Eg ukcat score and GCSE.
Reply 9
Original post by BackFromCydonia
Hi Guys! I am on the Nottingham A108 course in the 2014 cohort, so if you have any questions about the application process or the course itself (a little later on in the year, as my first sessions start tomorrow!) or anything else, feel free to ask! :smile:
. So what did you get for your ukcat and gcses? If you font mind me asking.
Sent my applications today :/ quite nervous
My sister is applying for this course.
We live in Nottingham, she suffers from a medical condition which has prevented her, in some cases to not be able to sit some of her exams to the best of her ability. (This is actually true and has been acknowledged by Nottingham University), she goes to a school with a low GCSE score and we live in a relatively poor area where most people do not go for higher education.
She got 5A*s 4As and a B at GCSE
2 As 2Bs at AS Predicted A*AA
And got 731 in the UKCAT
I really hopes she gets in!!!! There's only 10 places...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Andyw5
. So what did you get for your ukcat and gcses? If you font mind me asking.

So sorry for the late reply! Been a busy week, as I'm sure it has for you too with the application deadline approaching! I got 620 average for UKCAT, but be mindful of Nottingham who look at your individual scores (so I got 430 VR, 650 QR, 680 DA and 720 AR). My GCSEs were 5A*3ABC and the AS grades I applied with was BCCC. I got BBB overall at A Level. I wish you the best of luck with application submissions - once that's done you can calm down for a few months and focus on your subjects whilst they deal with them :smile:
The entry requirements are only bcc but 10-12 places I think! ! Not hard to achieve those grades!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by crazya96
hi guys

just wondering if you have received any messages from Nottingham besides an email saying they received you application.

thanks
I only received email about the acknowledgement :/ same as you
Reply 16
Hey there Guys :smile: i'm currently on the A108 course at University of Nottingham. If you have any questions, fire away :smile:
Ss
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by crazya96
hello
i was wondering if you can tell me what can give me an advantage when applying to the a108.

Well I'd say that a big thing is work experience. Any sort of experience you can get is extremely valuable. Things like shadowing a hospital doctor or sitting in with a GP. There are a lot of doctors that will not allow you to go any sort of experience with them for confidentiality reasons, but keep trying and eventually you'll find something :smile:
My sister got an email about needing to show proof about the criteria thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending