The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Why'd you take the link to connect out man? :frown: It literally does everything you're doing with this thread, whilst allowing people to easily see all the unis they're applying to.

?? I didn't take any link out. Don't know what you're referring to.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
That's good to know - what kind of averages are people looking for?

L'Evil Fish has probably explained, but it's a measure Cambridge put an awful lot of emphasis on, but literally no other university does :tongue:
Original post by Viceroy
Seems to be a desire for a page of this sort amongst the 2015 applicants, so here we have one (mods can replace this with something more permanent if they wish).

I will create a master list on this first post as people add their info to this thread.

Your post should include:
- Username
- College
- Course
- Grades/Qualifications/Academic info

QUOTE ME so I can add you. I'll try to have as much relevant info as possible in the master list, but if something's missing, let me know.

---- 2015 Master List ----

Spoiler

- Username: JackTeh96
- College: Downing
- Course: Medicine
- Grades/Qualifications/Academic info:
IGCSE (CIE) 7A* 3A
AS levels: AAAAAAA (Math,Fmath, Phy, Chm, Bio, Crithink, Chn)
A2 levels (predicted) A*A*A*A*A* (M,FM,P,C,B)
Best 3 average 97.81
Best 4 average: 97.52
SUMS: 97.52
Original post by Viceroy
?? I didn't take any link out. Don't know what you're referring to.

In this case many apologies, :hat2: I wonder what happened. In any case, I'm glad I asked because now we know about the averages thing. :smile: :yy:

Original post by fluteflute
L'Evil Fish has probably explained, but it's a measure Cambridge put an awful lot of emphasis on, but literally no other university does :tongue:

It has been explained! Hopefully we'll be able to do something about it. :smile: I've also made a connect feedback page in TSR News & Feedback to hear what else people think. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Viceroy
Seems to be a desire for a page of this sort amongst the 2015 applicants, so here we have one (mods can replace this with something more permanent if they wish).

I will create a master list on this first post as people add their info to this thread.

- Username
- College
- Course

QUOTE ME so I can add you. I'll try to have as much relevant info as possible in the master list, but if something's missing, let me know.

Spoiler

Username: Navo D.
College: Open
Course: Biological Natural Sciences
IGCSE: 8A* 1A 1B (B in self taught FM)
AS: AAAAAA (Maths, FM, Chem, Bio, Physics, Literature)
A2: A*A*A*A*A*A Predicted (A in Lit)
Best 3: 96.2%
Best 4: 96%
Physics and Maths: 96.3%
SUMS: 96.2%
Overall: 94.4%
Other: International Applicant
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

Thanks for making this list! :biggrin:

drowninginsound
Fitzwilliam
NatSci (Physical)

GCSE:
10 A*s + A in FSMQ

AS:
Maths - A (294/300)
Further Maths - A (292/300)
Physics - A (287/300)
Chemistry - A (290/300)
Geography - A (196/200)

SUMS - 96.67
UMS average for all 5 - 97.00

Other info:
Headstart and UNIQ courses for Materials, couple of masterclasses/lectures, EPQ, Ogden Trust Physics prize, mentoring in school, work as a music teacher, fair bit of wider reading.
stephanie1803

Law
St Johns

AS - English Lit, Spanish, Econ, History
A2- English Lit, Econ, History

UMS Average - 93.6%
Predicted- 3A* and an A* in EPQ

GCSE - 8A* 3A
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

Spoiler

DysonCube
Christ's
Computer Science

GCSE
7A* 2A 1B

AS
Mathematics-A(278/300)
Chemistry-A(287/300)
Physics-A(257/300) (Should really be 266, currently being contested)
RE-A(180/200)

A2
Achieved:
Mathematics-A*(296/300)
Predicted:
Further Maths-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Original post by DysonCube
DysonCube
Christ's
Computer Science

GCSE
7A* 2A 1B

AS
Mathematics-A(278/300)
Chemistry-A(287/300)
Physics-A(257/300) (Should really be 266, currently being contested)
RE-A(180/200)

A2
Achieved:
Mathematics-A*(296/300)
Predicted:
Further Maths-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*

Didn't realise you were Christ's :woo:

Cubing yay
Reply 29
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

Spoiler

I know my name is already there... Just 2 things, I took CIE IGCSEs not GCSEs and I'm applying to St. John's :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy

X

Sorry to be a pain, but the A2 grades under my name are only predicted grades, not ones already achieved, so if you wouldn't mind changing them that'd be great! :colondollar:
Original post by ShellySpielberg
ShellySpielberg

Robinson

Veterinary Medicine

International Baccalaureate (predicted grades)
Biology HL - 7
Chemistry HL - 7
Physics HL - 6/7
Math SL - 7
English (Literature and Performance) SL - 7
German (Literature) SL - 6
Extended Essay - A
TOK - ???

Hey, I was just wondering how you managed to do three sciences and no humanities for the IB?
Reply 32
Original post by Summit
I know my name is already there... Just 2 things, I took CIE IGCSEs not GCSEs and I'm applying to St. John's :smile:

Yay St John's!

Original post by drowninginsound
Sorry to be a pain, but the A2 grades under my name are only predicted grades, not ones already achieved, so if you wouldn't mind changing them that'd be great! :colondollar:

Fixed!
Original post by ILovePancakes
Hey, I was just wondering how you managed to do three sciences and no humanities for the IB?

Hey,
It was quite difficult. I had to pull a lot of strings and hope that the scheduling would fit, as well as provide evidence that one of my university choices wanted Physics in order to consider me (Edinburgh wanted Math or Physics HL and I REALLY didn't want to take Math HL - unnecessary stress). Plus I used that I'm taking the BMAT as a reason for wanting to go deeper into Physics. So yeah... Did you want to do it as well?
Original post by ShellySpielberg
Hey,
It was quite difficult. I had to pull a lot of strings and hope that the scheduling would fit, as well as provide evidence that one of my university choices wanted Physics in order to consider me (Edinburgh wanted Math or Physics HL and I REALLY didn't want to take Math HL - unnecessary stress). Plus I used that I'm taking the BMAT as a reason for wanting to go deeper into Physics. So yeah... Did you want to do it as well?

I didn't realise you could do that at all :tongue:. Thought you needed a subject from all 5 Groups and then ofc an extra for Group 6. I would've expected them to say you needed to drop a different science for physics. So does your mark for the Group Four Project apply for all three sciences?

Nah, I've only got Physics SL for my Group 4 and am very happy with all my choices. Was just curious as to how you managed to swing that.
Original post by ILovePancakes
I didn't realise you could do that at all :tongue:. Thought you needed a subject from all 5 Groups and then ofc an extra for Group 6. I would've expected them to say you needed to drop a different science for physics. So does your mark for the Group Four Project apply for all three sciences?

Nah, I've only got Physics SL for my Group 4 and am very happy with all my choices. Was just curious as to how you managed to swing that.

Yeah, technically I should have taken psychology or history but I found evidence ^^. My IBs a bit weird, because I have a group 6 subject since my Group 1 subject (english) is the combined english and theatre course, so I'm only missing a Group 3. And yes, my Group Four Project is the same for all three sciences, just had more teachers having input on my grade.
Good luck on your IB! :smile:
Hey there! My application has changed a bit. Could you change it for this?

Username: TheClockworkApple

GCSEs: 7A* 2A 1B
A2: (p) A*A*A*A
AS: (a) AAAAB
UMS avg. most relevant: 87.3%
UMS best 3 average: 87.6%

This thread makes me feel even more thick than usual :smile:
Original post by Viceroy

- Username
- College
- Course

Spoiler

Hey dude, can you change my UMS on there from the four separate ones to 'UMS: 99% average' please? Thank-you :smile:
8a*s 2a's at GCSE
AS: AAAAA
A2: A*A*A* (achieved) + A* (predicted)
UMS: 95% across both AS and A2 for 3 best subjects.

College: TBD
Course: Education with English

Latest