The Student Room Group

Can I apply to top universities?

So for a little back story; I’m 19, nearly 20 and recently dropped out of Sussex university. I was only there for a week but I knew it wasn’t for me. It wasn’t anything usual like I didn’t get on with people; I got on really well with my flat mates, enjoyed my brief time there and did make friends. I just knew I didn’t want to be there, I went there simply because it’s the closest ‘decent’ university to my home town and I felt like I had to go to university. I did no real attempts at looking at univesities. So I dropped out to save myself from financial ties to the uni (cooling off period, so I don’t have to pay anything back).

For further back story, I missed 4 years out of secondary school because of medical problems and only achieved 5 GCSEs and 3 BTECS, which were achieved in a single year at year 11, they were as followed

A English Language
A English Literature
A History
B single Science
C Maths
Distinction triple star at Science BTEC
B at IT BTEC
C at Sports BTEC

This was followed by three years at college (again, three years spent because I simply had no idea what I wanted to do and wanted to avoid what happened at Sussex, which happened anyway, heh). I achieved

A, English Literature
A, English Language
A, Medieval History
B, Classical Civilizations.

So, despite health limitations at GCSE, I overcame that and achieved decent A level results. I’m now going to spend this year deciding what I truly want to do and what university I truly have a passion for. But I’ve now hit a brick wall; I decided that I might attempt to look at ‘top’ universities, and most require substantially better GCSE results. Nonetheless, I think I might try but want to see what my odds are.

I’m mostly looking at UCL and Kings College in London. I might also apply to Oxford, just to see what will happen. I am aware that Oxford is highly unlikely, so my main ambition at the moment is UCL. I ‘studied’ (if you want to call a week of attending Sussex studying… haha) English Literature at Sussex, and I felt very trapped within that course because all I could ever see it leading to was teaching, which I deeply resented.

So with all my past experience included, I’m now favouring a Law degree. But now I need to know what univesity options are open to me, and whether or not it would be a waste of time applying to top universities given my rather unconventional education/experiences?

PS - I'm now devoting this year into applying to Law apprenticeships which can be completed by August, to give me further experience in the Law field, if that would at all look good on my UCAS/increase my odds at obtaining a place at a top university.
You are only '19 nearly 20', so this isnt that unconventional at all.

If you have the grades required and like the course/Uni, apply. You are older/wiser and now clearer about what you want to do and why. If you have relevant work experience, and a good PS/reference etc then there is no reason why your false start at Sussex should hold you back. You don't even have to mention it as you were barely there.

Advice from Bristol about applying to Law : http://www.bris.ac.uk/law/ugdegrees/ugadmissions/generalinfo.html
I don't know anything about law, so if you want specific law advice/information on applying for apprenticeships then you should check out the law sub-forum.

Your A level results are very strong so you should definitely apply to top universities if that's where you want to go. I agree that you should spend this year thinking about what you want to study, it would also be a good idea to pay close attention to individual course specifications because modules will vary significantly at each university. There's not much point applying to a top university if you know in advance that there are a lot of compulsory modules that don't interest you.

Don't worry about your GCSEs, they're not bad, in fact they are amazing compared to mine and I still got into UCL. Will your referee be able mention your medical problems in your reference? If so, I doubt any university will hold them against you.
you've taken 3 years over your A levels and unless the health issues were still affecting you in the sixth form top universities are not going to like that. I'm afraid I'd see Oxford as a wasted choice.

Only 30% of graduate jobs require a specific degree. English graduates go into many jobs other than teaching including things like personnel, training, sales. Law is very oversubscribed and a lot of people with law degrees don't actually earn large amounts of money. Still any degree shows that you have a brain and can work and you aren't stuck with law if you really do want to study that.

People go to university at all ages. An apprenticeship sounds a good idea - you'll find out whether law is really for you and if not you can always apply through clearing next year for something else. .
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies and insightful information! But I have a few more questions -

why is taking 3 years on my A levels a negative? I'm not trying to big myself up, but I didn't take three years to improve my grades, I achieved ABB in my second year (the B in English Language, which occurred people my teacher ballsed up the coursework, otherwise I would have got an A), and the reason I took three years was because I knew I didn't know what I wanted to do. In conjunction, I achieved an A in an 'academic' A level in a year, which surely demonstrates at least some ability, no? Or do universities penalize students who took three years regardless of the reasons?

And my next question, who would be my reference on my new UCAS actually? I hadn't even thought of that. Would I have to contact my college? Or is it my current employer, or? :/

Thanks for all the help guys!
Original post by MichaelB6

why is taking 3 years on my A levels a negative? I'm not trying to big myself up, but I didn't take three years to improve my grades, I achieved ABB in my second year (the B in English Language, which occurred people my teacher ballsed up the coursework, otherwise I would have got an A), and the reason I took three years was because I knew I didn't know what I wanted to do. In conjunction, I achieved an A in an 'academic' A level in a year, which surely demonstrates at least some ability, no? Or do universities penalize students who took three years regardless of the reasons?

And my next question, who would be my reference on my new UCAS actually? I hadn't even thought of that. Would I have to contact my college? Or is it my current employer, or? :/

Thanks for all the help guys!

If you want replies quote or give rep or people may miss the questions.

People normally take 3 years if they are struggling so there is a risk that you will be automatically sifted out by computer. If there were no resits so the time between GSCE and A2 for 3 A2 exams was 2 years you may be OK. Spell it out in your personal statement.

Your referee can be whoever you choose but people often do ask their school/ college to tweak their previous reference.
Original post by MichaelB6
why is taking 3 years on my A levels a negative?

I know Oxford specifically say it's because they want to know you can deal with the pressures of University, and if you haven't take three A2's in a year then they believe you probably can't cope.

For other places, it's normally that it often means you've retaken a year. However, with your EC's you may just about be okay.
Reply 7
Yeah, I know a girl who got into Cambridge with AABBBBCCC at GCSE and A*AA at A-level - For Oxbridge standards those GCSE's aren't that good but congrats for her
Original post by parentlurker
If you want replies quote or give rep or people may miss the questions.

People normally take 3 years if they are struggling so there is a risk that you will be automatically sifted out by computer. If there were no resits so the time between GSCE and A2 for 3 A2 exams was 2 years you may be OK. Spell it out in your personal statement.

Your referee can be whoever you choose but people often do ask their school/ college to tweak their previous reference.

Can I ask, what about someone who's done their exam's a year later ( for example gcse's at 17)
Original post by elmosandy
Can I ask, what about someone who's done their exam's a year later ( for example gcse's at 17)

If the A levels were done in 2 years and have grades that show you can cope with the pressures of a university degree you'd probably pass tthe computer sifts, but maybe with a flag to look further. Might need to put an explanation in the reference. If it's something like an illness that is now resolved it's not likely to hold you back. Universities generally like more mature students (except for maths) so it's not age but showing you can cope with a degree.

btw polite to start your own thread so the OP doesn't get notifications for a response they aren't interested in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by parentlurker
If the A levels were done in 2 years and have grades that show you can cope with the pressures of a university degree you'd probably pass tthe computer sifts, but maybe with a flag to look further. Might need to put an explanation in the reference. If it's something like an illness that is now resolved it's not likely to hold you back. Universities generally like more mature students (except for maths) so it's not age but showing you can cope with a degree.

btw polite to start your own thread so the OP doesn't get notifications for a response they aren't interested in.

I forgot I even made this comment LOL !

& I did make my own thread about this & okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending