The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by cchan1120

wheheyyyy fellow literature student! Yep new country! I've been to the UK ONCE in my life, and I have never been to Durham - new city, new place and I'm so happy to be going there!

I chose University College - of course its so oversubscribed, so there are no guarantees :smile: which college did you choose??

Durham is absolutely stunning, seriously it's like something out of a little fairy tale, the architecture and the buildings, the monuments, cathedrals and cobbled streets, ugh I love it so much :biggrin: wow, which country are you from?:smile: I really wanted to choose University but I thought I wouldn't have a chance, and I'm so lazy I really wanted a Bailey collage :') so I went for St. Johns, because it's apparently the least subscribed of the bailey collages, but it's also my favorite, small with some Edwardian buildings, a coffee room and right next to the gorgeous cathedral, really hope I get it (but all the collages are lovely aha) :biggrin:
Original post by Elle97
Durham is absolutely stunning, seriously it's like something out of a little fairy tale, the architecture and the buildings, the monuments, cathedrals and cobbled streets, ugh I love it so much :biggrin: wow, which country are you from?:smile: I really wanted to choose University but I thought I wouldn't have a chance, and I'm so lazy I really wanted a Bailey collage :') so I went for St. Johns, because it's apparently the least subscribed of the bailey collages, but it's also my favorite, small with some Edwardian buildings, a coffee room and right next to the gorgeous cathedral, really hope I get it (but all the collages are lovely aha) :biggrin:

Yea - even seeing the photos and googling Durham - I'm already in love with the city! And it's cold - haha i know this sounds strange but I absolutely love snow! I'm from Hong Kong, so obviously snow is a little bit difficult to come by... Love it soon much too! Hahah I took a chance and chose University - I'd like any Bailey college though, quite frankly. Wow! St John's was one of my top choices too, still is haha! I'm also one of those people who are extremely lazy and will not get up at the break of dawn to go to lectures, so the Bailey colleges are definitely an advantage at the centre of town. The cathedral is so gorgeous - I can't wait until matriculation - keep me posted on where (which college) you end up at! :biggrin:
Original post by allypetal
Worried... I got AAAB (Ironically the B in English lit) and have been invited to interview at Cambridge, but nothing back from Bristol and it's my favourite uni. With other people being accepted and it's highly competitive nature, does anyone think I have a chance? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg I'm the same! I really want either Durham or Bristol so badly... Interview at Cambridge but it's so unlikely that I'm gonna get a place!! :frown: which college have you applied for?
Reply 283
Yea - even seeing the photos and googling Durham - I'm already in love with the city! And it's cold - haha i know this sounds strange but I absolutely love snow! I'm from Hong Kong, so obviously snow is a little bit difficult to come by... Love it soon much too! Hahah I took a chance and chose University - I'd like any Bailey college though, quite frankly. Wow! St John's was one of my top choices too, still is haha! I'm also one of those people who are extremely lazy and will not get up at the break of dawn to go to lectures, so the Bailey colleges are definitely an advantage at the centre of town. The cathedral is so gorgeous - I can't wait until matriculation - keep me posted on where (which college) you end up at! :biggrin:

Wow! My friend recently went to Hong Kong, she loved it! Ah no way! Team Bailey, though the hill collages were also lovely, just don't fancy ever getting up at 7 in the morning for as long as possible ahahah! I will, you to! Lovely to meet other literature peeps!
Original post by LJDRx
Ah congratulations!! When did you send your applicatiom off?

Thank you!!! I sent it off October 14th :smile:
I also have an interview with Cambridge to read English and I got AAB at AS (although I do have extenuating circumstances which is why I think I got one!). Good luck for yours! I'm hoping to rely on the fact that I do a hell of a lot of outside reading.. it's awfully scary considering everybody I've seen seems to have like 95% average UMS! Mine is definitely NOT that.
Original post by icharliee
I've got the same Queen Mary offer as you.

interesting! what's your epq about?
Original post by Elle97
Wow! My friend recently went to Hong Kong, she loved it! Ah no way! Team Bailey, though the hill collages were also lovely, just don't fancy ever getting up at 7 in the morning for as long as possible ahahah! I will, you to! Lovely to meet other literature peeps!

Yeah its absolutely lovely, the entire city! I'm really excited! Of course, I have to pass my exams first... :biggrin: I'm so excited! You already have an offer, right?
Just received an offer from UCL, AAA :smile: just nervously awaiting news from Cambridge, Durham and Kings now!
Original post by SeftonStalag
Just received an offer from UCL, AAA :smile: just nervously awaiting news from Cambridge, Durham and Kings now!

Congratulations! Did you go for an interview or are you a post-alevel applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 290
Yeah its absolutely lovely, the entire city! I'm really excited! Of course, I have to pass my exams first... :biggrin: I'm so excited! You already have an offer, right?

I'm sure you will! Yeah I have !:biggrin:
Original post by IHTWFR
Congratulations! Did you go for an interview or are you a post-alevel applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't have an interview, just the straight offer. Getting offers always gives me an incentive to work even more :smile:

We English applicants sure are lucky aren't we? Instead of slaving away with past papers and questions we prepare for our application/interviews by just reading and reading :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SeftonStalag
Didn't have an interview, just the straight offer. Getting offers always gives me an incentive to work even more :smile:

We English applicants sure are lucky aren't we? Instead of slaving away with past papers and questions we prepare for our application/interviews by just reading and reading :biggrin:

Wow! Congratulations!! How did you bag an offer without an interview unless you're Einstein?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 293
I've received offers now from KCL, QMUL, RHUL and St Mary's. The King's offer just came through and I am ecstatic!
Reply 294
Congrats! That's amazing. What are all your offers grade wise?
Reply 295
Original post by irodger
Congrats! That's amazing. What are all your offers grade wise?

King's - AAA
QM - AAB/ABB (with an A in the EPQ)
RH - ABB
St Mary's - BCC

Thank you so much. What about you? Congrats to everyone else on their interviews/offers, too. Good luck with the former :smile:
Reply 296
Original post by TheMac
King's - AAA
RH - ABB
St Mary's - BCC

Thank you so much. What about you? Congrats to everyone else on their interviews/offers, too. Good luck with the former :smile:

It's amazing seeing people get into their dream unis so I'm really happy for you :-) mine got sent last week and I've just had an offer from UEA for AB (I've already got an A in English Lit A level). I now wish that I'd applied for higher ranking unis as I've got the grades, I just backed out through nerves! I'll be Really happy if I get offers from nottingham or Birmingham though as I loved them both on the open days.
Reply 297
Original post by irodger
It's amazing seeing people get into their dream unis so I'm really happy for you :-) mine got sent last week and I've just had an offer from UEA for AB (I've already got an A in English Lit A level). I now wish that I'd applied for higher ranking unis as I've got the grades, I just backed out through nerves! I'll be Really happy if I get offers from nottingham or Birmingham though as I loved them both on the open days.

Thanks. That's great. I really hope you get all the offers you're looking for :-). I've been thinking something similar. I applied to King's and Warwick but I'm thinking maybe I could have chanced somewhere like UCL, too.
Original post by TheMac
King's - AAA
RH - ABB
St Mary's - BCC

Hi, how long did it take for Royal Holloway to make you an offer after you sent your application off? :smile:
Applying for English literature. Offers Bristol (A*AA), York (AAA) and UEA (AAB).
Interview at Oxford, waiting to hear back from Durham.
GCSE - 9A* 1A
AS - 5As
Predictions 3 A*s in English literature, History and Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending