The Student Room Group

Legalities of bar storing ID details

I visited a bar with friends where we were all needed to present an ID to enter. The bouncer asked for my ID which I presented (didn't think anything of it), he checked it and then sanned it on a machine. I asked him what the machine did and he said it saves the details to ensure I wasn't banned from the bar.

He didn't ask me if he could scan my ID nor if I was happy for the details to be saved. I don't really want my details saved on some unknown system which may or may not have good security protecting from identity theft. I don't even know the full use for this stored data. Is there any way I can get it deleted?
Original post by Madeline_H95
I visited a bar with friends where we were all needed to present an ID to enter. The bouncer asked for my ID which I presented (didn't think anything of it), he checked it and then sanned it on a machine. I asked him what the machine did and he said it saves the details to ensure I wasn't banned from the bar.

He didn't ask me if he could scan my ID nor if I was happy for the details to be saved. I don't really want my details saved on some unknown system which may or may not have good security protecting from identity theft. I don't even know the full use for this stored data. Is there any way I can get it deleted?

You could call and ask, but if you weren't on the system as banned then I don't see you your detailed would be stored anyway?
Original post by leedswest
You could call and ask, but if you weren't on the system as banned then I don't see you your detailed would be stored anyway?

How does the system work. If they only store the details of banned people then I wouldn't care. As the bar would be loking to see if your details are on the system.
If the system stores everyone's details and everyone is given a status then I do have a problem. The former system is preferable and would be easier so I assume that's probably how the system works.
How does the system work. If they only store the details of banned people then I wouldn't care. As the bar would be loking to see if your details are on the system.
If the system stores everyone's details and everyone is given a status then I do have a problem. The former system is preferable and would be easier so I assume that's probably how the system works.

What did they say when you asked them about it?
Original post by leedswest
What did they say when you asked them about it?

Holding the details of only those who have been banned wouldn't be feasible with it being difficult to take the ID card of a banned person to be scanned before banning them. Therefore all ID is stored upon entry. I requested to have my details removed which, apprently they have done so.
Reply 5

There should have been a sign up stating that a condition of entry was to have your details stored.

All data must be held in compliance of the data protection act. You can ask the establishment for details of their procedures.

I see you've already asked for it to be deleted, however legally they don't have to comply unless:

- An individual can only object to you processing their own personal data.
- Processing an individual’s personal data must be causing unwarranted and substantial damage or distress.
- The objection must specify why the processing has this effect.

In addition, an individual has no right to object to processing if:

- they have consented to the processing;

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending