The Student Room Group

Tesco Flexi Contract

i work to my local tesco store, on a flexible contract.

i am contracted to work friday nights, however i have saturday and sundays down as "available hours" and work the 3 days almost every single week.

the store is struggling with staff at the moment and have been asked to work through the week a couple of times, being off college i have agreed.

last night i was taken into the office and told that i cannot turn down overtime, even if it is outside of my available hours, because of being on a flexible contract. i was told that if i do turn overtime down twice, then the company could sack me (in theory).

is this true? and if it is then would the fact that i double my weekly contracted hours with overtime anyway be taken into consideration?

cheers
Reply 1
Why not read your contract????

Posted from TSR Mobile
They can, in theory, discipline or fire you if you persistently refuse to do hours within your agreed availability as that was part of your terms of employment.

Hours outside of your availability? You can refuse and they have nothing on you. Contact USDAW if they get ratty about this.
Reply 3
I doubt they would fire you if they're low on staff.
Reply 4
This is far too complex an issue for TSR, and the people here are generally about as smart as a chihuahua.

Any advice you get here is likely to be nonsense.
Original post by Clip
This is far too complex an issue for TSR, and the people here are generally about as smart as a chihuahua.

Any advice you get here is likely to be nonsense.

True, though I also suspect that this is just a scare tactic.

Are you a union member? If so, talk to them, if not, join one. In addition, I find that Money Saving Expert forums are quite good for this sort of thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
True, though I also suspect that this is just a scare tactic.

Are you a union member? If so, talk to them, if not, join one. In addition, I find that Money Saving Expert forums are quite good for this sort of thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

MSE is good for money saving deals.

For legal advice, it's just as useless as TSR, and falls into the same category as TSR and Mumsnet for people lashing out at perceived injustice with only a quantum of information.
Original post by Clip
MSE is good for money saving deals.

For legal advice, it's just as useless as TSR, and falls into the same category as TSR and Mumsnet for people lashing out at perceived injustice with only a quantum of information.

You'd be surprised - I've spent a fair amount of time on there and in areas where I do know a fair amount, I have very rarely seen information that is both incorrect and has not been corrected by another user. At the very least it is a very useful starting point for the OP to conduct their research into the matter.
Reply 8
It doesn't really require any legal advice though really, what it comes down to is two things:

Is it a problem?

A lot of people (myself included) have had 16 hour a week contracts in retail and had to compete for more hours, so if you're not in college (assuming until sept?) then a few months of work means you will have a lot more money. If it were me, I wouldn't really be arsed about losing a few days in the summer, I'd get over it, you can make up for it by - for example - thinking that the extra money will buy an XB1 or PS4 before long. Or something else you could save for.

Secondly, showing that flexibility and commitment to help the store/boss out when they need you might just be a massive boost if you want any further opportunities there, or at least maybe if a reference is required. Getting ahead in life is down to the small details such as putting yourself out for an employer and, trust me, it can make a big difference.

The "can they" side..

For this, it will simply come down to your contract. If your contract (and you should have one, not necessarily a paper copy) states that you may be asked to work unavailable hours at managers discretion that you are required to work (for example, bank holidays), then yes they can.

But it depends on what it says in there. Perhaps there's some scaremongering, perhaps it is a fact, but never think that they wouldn't sack you when they're short staffed anyway as they might find people unwilling to work extra hours are disposable.

Hope that's of some use. The only barrier you will have, depending on age and what you signed, is the 50 hours a week side of things
Hi just to let you know that even on a flexi contract they must give you your hours at least seven days before your working week , although they can ask you with 24 hours notice but this must not be the norm. You should have agreed a maximum working week at your induction and Sundays are optioalnal. You must talk to your USDAW rep who will tell you more.
The USDAW union is really sh** I have the same problem, 15 hours contract and offered overtime when my duty manager wants and not getting paid all the overtime worked!! I refused to do more as I am not seeing the money but he is trying to make me troubles. I contacted USDAW but it seems they defend that behaviour. Unbelievable!! Its a waste of money the union, is better you to save their fees of "legal advice" and to defend yourself as you can.
This thread is over 2 years old...
I believe it should say that you can refuse up to 3 shifts a year, after that you can face disciplinary action. All shift changes must be given 4 WEEKS IN ADVANCE. This is where managers try and stitch you up. I've worked for Tesco for 6 years now and I've never had a rota further than 3 weeks ahead 😂
Original post by Ryz4eva
i work to my local tesco store, on a flexible contract.

i am contracted to work friday nights, however i have saturday and sundays down as

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending