The Student Room Group

BIG PROBLEM - Royal Mail!

Hi,

I sent an item worth £450 to a customer who purchased the item through Ebay (and paid with PayPal).

I sent the item through Royal Mail Special Delivery service (TRACKED).

After two days the customer has emailed me and informed me the item has still not arrived. Of course I do not believe him!

After checking online (Royal Mail Track webpage) it says 'item ready to be delivered’!

My conclusion is simple ... Customer received the item and as the delivery man (Post man) did NOT scan the item and register the item as delivered on the system, the customer is demanding a refund!

Please help guys. What do I do?

Do i refund the money to the customer, and open an investigation with Royal Mail? Will i get my full money back? And will Royal Mail go far as asking the Post Man for a statement that 'he did deliver the item’!

Again thank you for reading and any feedback is much appreciated!
Do not refund the buyer just yet... they buyer can open up a dispute with paypal, but even then you don't have to refund straight away. Give the buyer the tracking code if you haven't already, and tell them you will chase this up through royal mail and do so.

Luckily, special delivery packages are insured so that even if the package has arrived and the postie didn't scan it, its royal mail's error that it's technically "lost" and you can get the cost of the item and postage compensated and refund the buyer without any direct loss to you.

link for how to claim
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/royal-mails-claims-process-for-loss-damage-and-delay

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/claims-process-for-inland-items
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
royal mails fault tbh I wouldn't refund them a penny

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well if it's "ready to be delivered" that doesn't suggest to me that it has been delivered yet. Maybe it's due for delivery first thing next week?
You will be insured but not to the full value unless you paid a premium for it.

Good luck with paypal, they always favour the purchaser.
Original post by Crumpet1
Well if it's "ready to be delivered" that doesn't suggest to me that it has been delivered yet. Maybe it's due for delivery first thing next week?

This. Ready to be delivered means that it is at the sorting centre located in the district where the delivery address is located. You should see an update on the tracking soon to confirm delivery.

Email the Ebay customer, inform them of its tracking status and share the tracking code with them, so that they can look this up themselves. That will solve any apprehensions they may have about your honesty as a trader.

Only if it doesn't get delivered in the next few days do you need to take further steps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending