The Student Room Group

Just found out parents hate me.

My folks have always been there for me, but since I turned 15 (which was a good few years ago now - I've just graduated from my degree) I noticed that on my 15th Birthday, everything became rather cold and hostile, as if a switch had been flipped.

Of course, since then, there have been numerous times where I've been completely off guard before my parents have come storming into my room only to stop and stand for a moment before thinking of something to shout about.

Again, I've always though "Ah well, everybody thinks their parents hate them, it's just a teenage thing".

Sadly though, I happened to be in the room upstairs when my parents came home after a night out. It can be truly disheartening when you hear what your most loved ones think of you when they don't know you're home.

Hash tag crushed heart.
What were they saying?
Original post by Anonymous
My folks have always been there for me, but since I turned 15 (which was a good few years ago now - I've just graduated from my degree) I noticed that on my 15th Birthday, everything became rather cold and hostile, as if a switch had been flipped.

Of course, since then, there have been numerous times where I've been completely off guard before my parents have come storming into my room only to stop and stand for a moment before thinking of something to shout about.

Again, I've always though "Ah well, everybody thinks their parents hate them, it's just a teenage thing".

Sadly though, I happened to be in the room upstairs when my parents came home after a night out. It can be truly disheartening when you hear what your most loved ones think of you when they don't know you're home.

Hash tag crushed heart.

Your parents probably don't think of you badly we've all heard our parents slagging us off at one point in our lives.
Reply 3
"I know he was never what we wanted him to be, but we could have done a lot better. I always get stuck with the s***t things in life."
"I know he was never what we wanted him to be, but we could have done a lot better. I always get stuck with the s***t things in life."

You sure they weren't high or something. Because that's pretty random thing to say out of the blue. Esp after a night out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by vivaronaldoo
You sure they weren't high or something. Because that's pretty random thing to say out of the blue. Esp after a night out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds random, it was just the most significant sentence out of about 10 minutes of conversation about me while I was listening upstairs.
Reply 6
My parents always say stuff like that to me and worse.

Unless you're perfect you can expect a bit of that.

My mum called me an embarrassment and a disappointment to my face.

At least your patents took the blame for you falling short of their expectations
Reply 7
I prefer doing most of the things on my own and my parents labelled me "an over confident scum"

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum called me ugly and worthless to my face and on countless occasions too, that's normal I'd say....
Reply 9
My mum called me ugly and worthless to my face and on countless occasions too, that's normal I'd say....

They always try to influence my decision about every single thing in life. I want to be an independent individual but still need someone's financial support. Do you have any idea about how to deal with this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sollom
They always try to influence my decision about every single thing in life. I want to be an independent individual but still need someone's financial support. Do you have any idea about how to deal with this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what field you work in, but often you can find placements abroad where companies have offices in multiple countries - lots of these placements come all-expenses-paid. My dad got a job with a british company in Dubai 6 years ago. Company paid the house, utilities, car, fuel etc. That could be a way to get your feet off the ground and away from your parents without having to blow lots of money up front to get started.
My mum also told me (although this was a long time ago - I will have been 7 or 8 ish) that I was "worse than being raped."

I'll always remember that.
Reply 12
Ouch, OP. I can see that must really hurt you.

Everyone says things they regret, especially when they're drunk. Is it possible to ask them about it?

I'm sorry you're feeling so low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending