The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by emgraceb2804
I remember recently (before moving schools) being told by a teacher to pull my skirt down as I was a 'distraction' to the boys. Being the feminist that I am, I was outraged. What is so offensive about young women's bodies? Should it not be the boys who get commented on for staring at girls? This seems to be a common occurrence and I don't see why it happens so often. What are your opinions?

Well... if you were in school, then yes it was fine for the teacher to ask to to pull your skirt down. That's what school is like they have rules, you just have to live with that and it will most likely be the same at work.
What's offensive of a young woman's body... well nothing. Nothing is "wrong" with it in the sense of the bible telling your you're going to hell or you'll be sent to jail. But personally when I see a young lady (lets say around 16 - 17) who's wearing something a little revealing, it can be rather distracting. Not because "Me Zaros, you female" but because, I don't want to be looking at every woman's behind and cleavage. It's very true that I could just look away or not pay attention, but women have the same problem with other women, it's distracting and uncomfortable.I realise that I'm talking about something perhaps more revealing that your circumstance, and since I don't know how long your skirt is/was I can't really make an opinion there. However it's kind of a "I don't want to see every part of your body and you don't want to see every part of mine so lets cover up mm'kay?" kinda deal.
Original post by samba

To an extent I agree with this. Overloading it doesn't work though.

Additionally they should be encouraged to take responsibility and Learn consequence. If they are wearing short skirts they will get stared at, if they are nude in a strip club they will get propositions. You can't teach girls freedom and boys repression.

Agreed. But the choice should still be the individual's to make without prejudice.

EDIT: wow quote really f**d up there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
A sense of belonging? Surely it would be easier to create that by making the school a nice atmosphere and good positive place to work rather than putting everybody in the same uniform and forcing them to wear it a certain way?

Non-uniform also has its problems. Not every student can afford to wear the latest fashion trend or top brand, this instantly creates a divide between students of "poor" and "rich". This will trigger bullying, increased costs for parents buying clothing, and will overall create a prestigious atmosphere -stripping individuals from equality as they will be judged on their appearance.
Reply 43
Original post by Obiejess
To an extent I agree with this. Overloading it doesn't work though.

Additionally they should be encouraged to take responsibility and Learn consequence. If they are wearing short skirts they will get stared at, if they are nude in a strip club they will get propositions. You can't teach girls freedom and boys repression.

Agreed. But the choice should still be the individual's to make without prejudice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless it impinges on the freedom of another. I should be able to stare at your tits all I want. Grabbing them on the other hand and not letting you go is totally unacceptable as it impinges on what you want.
Original post by samba

Unless it impinges on the freedom of another. I should be able to stare at your tits all I want. Grabbing them on the other hand and not letting you go is totally unacceptable as it impinges on what you want.

Essentially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zaros
Well... if you were in school, then yes it was fine for the teacher to ask to to pull your skirt down. That's what school is like they have rules, you just have to live with that and it will most likely be the same at work.
What's offensive of a young woman's body... well nothing. Nothing is "wrong" with it in the sense of the bible telling your you're going to hell or you'll be sent to jail. But personally when I see a young lady (lets say around 16 - 17) who's wearing something a little revealing, it can be rather distracting. Not because "Me Zaros, you female" but because, I don't want to be looking at every woman's behind and cleavage. It's very true that I could just look away or not pay attention, but women have the same problem with other women, it's distracting and uncomfortable.I realise that I'm talking about something perhaps more revealing that your circumstance, and since I don't know how long your skirt is/was I can't really make an opinion there. However it's kind of a "I don't want to see every part of your body and you don't want to see every part of mine so lets cover up mm'kay?" kinda deal.

I have never agreed with this type of opinion more and I think that you make a really fair point. But why is this? Why are our bodies something we should cover up? If we are self confident and want to dress in a certain way then that should be socially acceptable.
Reply 46

I'll vote for you. You're not getting the castles back though.
I just think that it is essentially a girls choice to wear exactly what makes her feel good about herself. If people make comments that is essentially wrong but it is the girls job to deal with these in whatever way she chooses. What is wrong is when girls are told what to wear and how to dress.

In school there is uniform, so it isn't your choice what you wear it is the schools choice.
Original post by Jacknya
Non-uniform also has its problems. Not every student can afford to wear the latest fashion trend or top brand, this instantly creates a divide between students of "poor" and "rich". This will trigger bullying, increased costs for parents buying clothing, and will overall create a prestigious atmosphere -stripping individuals from equality as they will be judged on their appearance.

What is it with society, trying to patch up symptoms? Okay, so social inequality would be evident if there was no uniform. So, genius idea, instead of trying to fox the root cause which is social inequality let's try to hide it with uniform!!

:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
I didn't go to a school which was strict on uniform so thankfully, I was never asked to 'cover up'. People wore skirts at whatever length they pleased.

If I had ever been told to cover up, it would have most likely made me feel pretty insecure.
Reply 50
X

What is it with society, trying to patch up symptoms? Okay, so social inequality would be evident if there was no uniform. So, genius idea, instead of trying to fox the root cause which is social inequality let's try to hide it with uniform!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are more benefits to wearing uniform than not.
Original post by corax
I didn't go to a school which was strict on uniform so thankfully, I was never asked to 'cover up'. People wore skirts at whatever length they pleased.

If I had ever been told to cover up, it would have most likely made me feel pretty insecure.

To be honest, I think that is a pretty reasonable thing to say and something a lot of schools who do enforce these rules should take notice of.
Original post by Jacknya
There are more benefits to wearing uniform than not.

Like what?

-People are forced to fit into what the school/society deems acceptable
-Discipline is better because people are unable to be individuals
-People are easier to control due to teh group mindset

Sounds like an excellent idea, can't think of a better way to get people to conform. Other than religion of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I am not saying that girls should go to school naked. I am questioning the way girls are told constantly in schools and also by society as a whole to 'cover up'. Why is this? Should we not be looking at this in a different way and start blaming the boys and teenagers in schools who are the ones making comments and often hurtful remarks, damaging girls' often already broken self confidence?

How does it hurt a girl's confidence to be told that their bodies are so alluring that they cause boys to be distracted from their education? Let's stop with the gender nonsense, too; there are plenty of boys with confidence issues, they are usually just much quieter about it than girls.

The difference is that men's brains are 'designed' to produce powerful chemicals when they see women's bodies, which especially around puberty may very well be detrimental to their studies, and teachers as guardians of educational progress want to prevent that. Women are not biologically programmed to wear revealing clothing.
I think the fact this question has got so many responses shows that it is something schools need to readdress as people seem to feel very strongly about it. Uniform rules are so different to rules about behaviour etc. as they essentially stop people from being able to express themselves and I think that that is a very personal and intrusive thing to try and do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Genius! Why do nobody ever think of just fixing social inequality? I mean it really is so simple isn't it.

Or we can take a practical view and realize that we cannot just fix everything right now, and take steps to minimize bad effects.
Reply 56
I have never agreed with this type of opinion more and I think that you make a really fair point. But why is this? Why are our bodies something we should cover up? If we are self confident and want to dress in a certain way then that should be socially acceptable.

That's simply not pragmatic though. People of both genders get distracted when they see other people's naked skin. I work in an office, and I wouldn't like it if notions of decency were abandoned. Easier to concentrate on your work if everyone is dressed modestly! It's a nice idea that no one should be sexualised when they don't want to be, but everyone has sexual instincts that can be difficult to control mentally (not in terms of actions). I'm sure many people of both sexes would be distracted if colleagues were walking around half-naked.

It's not sexist to ask you to cover up in that there aren't boys wandering around showing off lots of leg. I can't comment on your specific situation but I think your principles on the subject are a little naive. (And I consider myself a relatively staunch feminist!) Maybe in a few years your libido will soar and you'll understand why decorum can be a good thing :wink:
Original post by Birkenhead
How does it hurt a girl's confidence to be told that their bodies are so alluring that they cause boys to be distracted from their education? Let's stop with the gender nonsense, too; there are plenty of boys with confidence issues, they are usually just much quieter about it than girls.

The difference is that men's brains are 'designed' to produce powerful chemicals when they see women's bodies, which especially around puberty may very well be detrimental to their studies, and teachers as guardians of educational progress want to prevent that. Women are not biologically programmed to wear revealing clothing.

I completely agree. The OP is just seeking attention.
Original post by Birkenhead

It hurts a girls confidence to be called a slut or a whore or to be objectified day in day out, constantly. It hurts a girls confidence to feel like she is at fault because of the way that she likes to dress and to be forced into wearing something in a way that makes her feel less self confident just to stop boys treating her like a piece of meat. That's is damaging and it is bullying. I don't care if boys are biologically wired to appreciate girls bodies, they are not biologically wired to shout abusive things across the corridors. And girls may not be biologically wired to wear revealing clothing that doesn't mean they aren't going to want to do it?
Reply 59
Like what?

-People are forced to fit into what the school/society deems acceptable
-Discipline is better because people are unable to be individuals
-People are easier to control due to teh group mindset

Sounds like an excellent idea, can't think of a better way to get people to conform. Other than religion of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

-It gives a sense of pride to attend that school
-If there is a crime incident, members of the public can identify which school they attend to narrow down searching significantly.
-Students who are less privileged and are affected by poverty may not be able to afford decent/top branded clothes and therefore uniform offers an alternative.
-Wearing a uniform is also common in jobs and therefore by getting students into the habit of wearing uniform it gives them a head start of getting into a routine.
-It enables students to identify what is seen as formal and what is seen as informal clothing. This will come in handy for interviews etc.

I don't know about you but... I think wearing uniform has many benefits.

Latest

Trending

Trending