The Student Room Group

How many past papers should I do for each science

People have told me doing past papers really help so I would like to know how many I should do and from what year
Original post by Blue230699
People have told me doing past papers really help so I would like to know how many I should do and from what year

The papers from more recent years will be more helpful as they'll be the most similar to the course you're doing now. Is this for GCSE? Don't do all the past papers now or there'll be none left by the time it comes to revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Blue230699

Anything within the last 3/4 years. :smile:
Reply 3
I would try doing ones from maybe 5/6 years ago now because it may help with extra knowledge that could crop up. Then, when it comes closer to actual exam time, be thinking about the most recent ones you can get a hold of :smile:
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
i did 1 past paper for each unit in science (i did AQA. altogether i did 9 past papers). and those past papers were the ones i did during mocks.

worked out fine for me :smile: continuing with 3 sciences at A level
Well ideally you would first complete the syllabus for the paper you want to do, then you would do one every week to two and once you hit 95%+ you should be good keep doing this until your gcse's and you will definitely get an a*, even if it means you do papers again do it, there is no set number. You do as many as it takes to achieve the grade you want. Just a side note try sitting papers with 15 minutes less time than you would be given in an exam as it will help you get faster and faster and try not to use a equation sheet.
Reply 7
I have all Edexcel Maths GCSE Higher Linear Papers from 2006-2013.

You may be wondering why I have them from the last eight years, but the older maths papers are pretty much the same as the ones that come up these days, the only difference is the time is longer. In 2006-2007 papers, you have 2 hours, however from 2008 onwards, you get 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Still pretty helpful and useful.

For Science, presuming your doing AQA, I would recommend doing past papers from 2012 onwards, as they are pretty identical to the papers you might be doing.
Reply 8
I did one or two because we had to in class. Honestly didn't find them helpful or indicative of how I'd perform at the end. At GCSE there isn't really much to gain from them apart from basic exam technique. I pretty much then just memorised the revision guide and got 100% in the science modules. Don't strain yourself too much. Also, I personally think it's far too early to start revising for GCSEs. I started in roughly Easter Y11 and had plenty of time to revise. It might take you longer/shorter so get an idea of how much you have to learn and then start early enough so that you can comfortably cover it but not so early that you'll forget it all.
Original post by Grade
I have all Edexcel Maths GCSE Higher Linear Papers from 2006-2013.

You may be wondering why I have them from the last eight years, but the older maths papers are pretty much the same as the ones that come up these days, the only difference is the time is longer. In 2006-2007 papers, you have 2 hours, however from 2008 onwards, you get 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Still pretty helpful and useful.

For Science, presuming your doing AQA, I would recommend doing past papers from 2012 onwards, as they are pretty identical to the papers you might be doing.

Most people I know finished the 1hr45 papers in under an hour anyway so there really isn't any difference!

Original post by TVIO
I did one or two because we had to in class. Honestly didn't find them helpful or indicative of how I'd perform at the end. At GCSE there isn't really much to gain from them apart from basic exam technique. I pretty much then just memorised the revision guide and got 100% in the science modules. Don't strain yourself too much. Also, I personally think it's far too early to start revising for GCSEs. I started in roughly Easter Y11 and had plenty of time to revise. It might take you longer/shorter so get an idea of how much you have to learn and then start early enough so that you can comfortably cover it but not so early that you'll forget it all.

Seconded about revision guides! Doing a few past papers and at least understanding the mark scheme and format of the papers is always a good idea, though.
i would go from 2011
As many as possible!
as many as you can. I cant remember gcses very well, but I know for a levels they stick to a pattern of knowledge they want you to write about for each topic. for example, at a level when you talk about mitochondria you have to say they are membrane bound organelles, site of aerobic respiration, which produces ATP. don't worry if that doesn't make any sense, just to illustrate my point that you can work out what you need to say for each topic by looking at mark schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest