The Student Room Group

Modern language GCSE requirements

What the hell, I've just read online that universities like Edingburgh/York require a modern language at a C or above at GCSE for to even be considered as an applicant. I did a short Gcse in Spanish which lasted for a year and I got a D in it. Would my application be considered even if I meet my course's grade requirement? (It doesn't even say that I need a modern language on the entry requirements...). I'm thinking of applying for Economic History for both universities but now I don't think I'll even apply to York or Edingburgh... I am bilingual though if that means anything. Can anyone at Edingburgh or York confirm or deny this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump! If they want a modern language at GCSE why don't they state this in the course entry requirements? Deceptive much?
Original post by grassntai
Bump! If they want a modern language at GCSE why don't they state this in the course entry requirements? Deceptive much?

C grade and above.
Short course isn't even a gcse so isn't even considered a GCSEs if you got an A*.

Unless you retake it, no.
Reply 3
That's so unfair though. How was I at year 10 even supposed to know this? I I had known I would've taken a language Gcse despite our language department being dreadful. They don't even state this on their entry requirements page.

Another instance where private school students are favoured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
That's so unfair though. How was I at year 10 even supposed to know this? I I had known I would've taken a language Gcse despite our language department being dreadful. They don't even state this on their entry requirements page.

Another instance where private school students are favoured. What a load of bullocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not only York etc. UCL are notable for requiring C in languages for ALL courses.

Are you as/a2?

Another instance where private school students are favoured. What a load of bullocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEsEnglish Language and Mathematics at grade C; . For UK-based students a foreign language at grade B is required.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PILEDRIV3R WALTZ
It's not only York etc. UCL are notable for requiring C in languages for ALL courses.

Are you as/a2?

AS. I didn't know that, I wasn't told that and I don't know how I should've known that when I was only 14 + language wasn't compulsory at GCSE in my school.

Why don't they state this on their entry requirements? In fact I can't find it anywhere on York/Edingburgh's sites except for on their language courses page.
Reply 7
Original post by PILEDRIV3R WALTZ
GCSEsEnglish Language and Mathematics at grade C; . For UK-based students a foreign language at grade B is required.

Where do they state that? Link me the page please.
Honestly, I can't find this on York's website anywhere. I know UCL have this as a blanket requirement, but do state you can instead choose to take a language enrichment module in your first year if you don't have a C at GCSE, maybe York have this as well? It's worth giving them an email.
What the hell, I've just read online that universities like Edingburgh/York require a modern language at a C or above at GCSE for to even be considered as an applicant. I did a short Gcse in Spanish which lasted for a year and I got a D in it. Would my application be considered even if I meet my course's grade requirement? (It doesn't even say that I need a modern language on the entry requirements...). I'm thinking of applying for Economic History for both universities but now I don't think I'll even apply to York or Edingburgh... I am bilingual though if that means anything. Can anyone at Edingburgh or York confirm or deny this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL allows you to do a language module in your first year if you don't have a C or above in a GCSE language. Check if Edinburgh or York have the same?
Reply 10
Original post by Chlorophile
UCL allows you to do a language module in your first year if you don't have a C or above in a GCSE language. Check if Edinburgh or York have the same?

Hey thanks guys for the replies. I've just asked a student from York and apparently it's only for UCL now.

Also on the Russell group website the question is on their list of answered questions *facepalm*
(edited 9 years ago)
If you needed to, you could ask your school if you can do the gcse in your spare time. Most schools allow you to do this especially if you are bilingual. It's just a matter if whether you are willing to do the extra exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending