The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noumenon
I've applied for just philosophy bc I wanted lower grades for an insurance, however I'm planning on picking up politics with it. I also applied for PPE at Oxford and Durham, Philosophy and Politics at LSE, and Philosophy at Edinburgh. You?

Ucl, king's college, Edinburgh, St Andrews. As base subject I chose politics/IR, combined with others according to the university! Do u know smth more about the acceptance rate at Edinburgh for philosophy in general? I'm Italian, and yet I got no offers (applications sent on 1st January). What about u? Any offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Princepieman
Basically, if you meet the minimum: ABBB you may get a conditional. If you meet their "typical offer" with already achieved grades, you'll get an unconditional.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by AureusLupin
I just got an unconditional offer for MPhys Astrophysics. I'm really pleased as this is one of my top two choices, with St. Andrews (who have yet to reply).

What is the secret to your extreme giftedness towards Maths?
Waiting on a decision for Law... :/
I dunno if I should consider Edinburgh if I do get an offer for Law. The pros are that the uni itself is pretty amazing (ranked in the top 20 globally) and that I would only have to pay £1500-ish a year as opposed to the £9000 because I'm an EU national (who has lived in the UK since year 7 #perksofbeingaswede)

However, the cons are linked with TIME; first, the degree is 4 years which seems OK at first. But bear in mind that I also have to do a one year GDL course to convert to English Law (which essentially means I might as well have done something relatively easier and less stressful like History then the conversion course)... So in total, that's 5 years (+1 year to qualify as a solicitor) as opposed to 3 years (+1) in England (Queen Mary probably).

Decisions decisions!
Reply 985
Original post by euansmith1
Hi guys I'm nervous about my application to Edinburgh. I really want to go to Edinburgh its my 1st choice. I got AAAAB in my highers and I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering can anyone give me an idea of whether I'll get an unconditional or conditional? Thanks

Hey, I got the same grades in my highers and got an unconditional (for computer science) so you should be fine :smile:
Original post by mglen
Hey, I got the same grades in my highers and got an unconditional (for computer science) so you should be fine :smile:

Thankyou! :smile:
Hey! Did anybody get an offer for Economics? I've sent my application ages ago, but still no response.
Original post by domidom
Hey! Did anybody get an offer for Economics? I've sent my application ages ago, but still no response.

I'm on the same boat! I've not heard back for economics :frown:
Hello! Has anyone heard back from Medical Sciences yet?
Anyone who has heard back for software engineering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by orphan_black
I dunno if I should consider Edinburgh if I do get an offer for Law. The pros are that the uni itself is pretty amazing (ranked in the top 20 globally) and that I would only have to pay £1500-ish a year as opposed to the £9000 because I'm an EU national (who has lived in the UK since year 7 #perksofbeingaswede)

However, the cons are linked with TIME; first, the degree is 4 years which seems OK at first. But bear in mind that I also have to do a one year GDL course to convert to English Law (which essentially means I might as well have done something relatively easier and less stressful like History then the conversion course)... So in total, that's 5 years (+1 year to qualify as a solicitor) as opposed to 3 years (+1) in England (Queen Mary probably).

Decisions decisions!

I'm in a similar position - I got the EU status too, as in polish but have lived here since year 5 (surprised they have it to me)! And the course in Edinburgh is a 4 year course for me plus s year to specify into what I actually want to do - instead of doing it all in 4 years. But what sold me on Edinburgh was that you get such a bigger choice in which modules you do in your first two years which means if you want to study bits of other courses like Philosophy and Ethics which could be useful for law you could! Also, edinburgh had such a higher worldwide rep - which is a lot more important if you'll ever consider working in America - it's a longer established uni than some newer ones and I think that just adds to its rep.
I hope this helped and all the best with whatever decision you make! Good luck!!
hello, everyone! My name is Denise, applying to Theoretical Physics. Edinburgh asked me for predicted grades from my teachers. I asked them and then I made an Office word document with subjects and predicted grades. Do you have any idea if this form is accepted or should I legalize some papers signed by the teachers?
Original post by Verloren
hello, everyone! My name is Denise, applying to Theoretical Physics. Edinburgh asked me for predicted grades from my teachers. I asked them and then I made an Office word document with subjects and predicted grades. Do you have any idea if this form is accepted or should I legalize some papers signed by the teachers?

Hey :smile: you usually need a paper that is stamped with the school stamp or on official school headered paper, and signed by teachers so ask your teachers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live in Romania and here they are not used with student asking for predicted grades.. I doubt the director will stamp a paper like this. I searched for at least an example.. how should the document look like?
Original post by Verloren

Denise,
The reference including the predicted grades at the 'Bacalaureat' exam has to be sent to UCAS or directly to the unis by the adviser,school or teacher.
In your case you should immediately ask your physics teacher or the tutor (diriginte) to send it, containing contacts(email address and phone).Unis might check the validity of the reference.
Good luck with your application.
Original post by oliwialidia
I'm in a similar position - I got the EU status too, as in polish but have lived here since year 5 (surprised they have it to me)! And the course in Edinburgh is a 4 year course for me plus s year to specify into what I actually want to do - instead of doing it all in 4 years. But what sold me on Edinburgh was that you get such a bigger choice in which modules you do in your first two years which means if you want to study bits of other courses like Philosophy and Ethics which could be useful for law you could! Also, edinburgh had such a higher worldwide rep - which is a lot more important if you'll ever consider working in America - it's a longer established uni than some newer ones and I think that just adds to its rep.
I hope this helped and all the best with whatever decision you make! Good luck!!

Yay! Someone in the same boat! Have you gotten an offer yet? :biggrin:
Hello!
Im applying to Edinburgh for Nursing Studies And Im getting worried that I have no chance as their typical offer is AABB
and my grades sit at ABBBC at the end of S5
Im not doing S6, Im working fulltime and have a lot of work/care experiencd (work in a hospital)
Does this mean they wont even interview me or am I in for a chance?? Edinburghs my top choice and Im getting way top stressed over this lol
Original post by MissLola
Hello!
Im applying to Edinburgh for Nursing Studies And Im getting worried that I have no chance as their typical offer is AABB
Im not doing S6, Im working fulltime and have a lot of work/care experiencd (work in a hospital)
Does this mean they wont even interview me or am I in for a chance?? Edinburghs my top choice and Im getting way top stressed over this lol

Your grades are close to the typical offer, so I wouldn't be surprised if they give you an interview. Just hold tight! You never know:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissLola
Hello!

Minimum reqs are: ABBB from S5 which you have achieved.

Your grades are similar to mine (you have another B as opposed to my C) and the admissions officer I spoke with said - granted I got an offer - it would be conditional on S6 grades.

You have the chance of getting a conditional offer, if your Personal Statement is strong that chance might be even greater.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending