The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

I want to firm edinburgh but it's a conditional and I plan to put stirling as my insurance. However, in the event that I don't meet my conditions, I'd like to stay in student accomodation in stirling. However, I emailed and they said that I wouldn't be able to apply for accomodation if I don't make it my firm choice, does this sound true? It just doesn't seem true
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by jane111
I want to firm edinburgh but it's a conditional and I plan to put stirling as my insurance. However, in the event that I don't meet my conditions, I'd like to stay in student accomodation in stirling. However, I emailed and they said that I wouldn't be able to apply for accomodation if I don't make it my firm choice, does this sound true? It just doesn't seem true

Universities don't often allocate accommodation for insurance choices. They haven't got the space. Some will allow insurers to apply, but if they say not, then they won't. It shouldn't be phrased in a way which suggests coercion to put them as firm, though.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Universities don't often allocate accommodation for insurance choices. They haven't got the space. Some will allow insurers to apply, but if they say not, then they won't. It shouldn't be phrased in a way which suggests coercion to put them as firm, though.

As far as I am aware universities save some accommodation space ie they don't provisionally allocate it all
That way for people whose insurance is said university, there will be accomodation available
Original post by jasknowles
As far as I am aware universities save some accommodation space ie they don't provisionally allocate it all
That way for people whose insurance is said university, there will be accomodation available

Yes, they allocate it when they know who is coming, some of whom will be insurers, but they won't know before results day.
People make up all sorts of rumours to account for the decisions universities make, when they don't have access to the facts. Urban legends come round every year. I teach at a private school and we get lots of people into Edinburgh, and my son went there, too.

I am sure you know a great deal about the applications process on both a professional and personal basis; however, my own experience from talking to admissions staff this year, is that Edinburgh University is now putting a lot of emphasis in 'social inclusiveness' for 2015 and, when I asked them what this meant in practice, was told this meant a concerted policy to encourage 'candidates who did not necessarily meet the current academic standards but came from less privileged social demographics'. Take that to mean what you will.
Original post by 408655
Hi, I was just wondering how many of us Edinburgh applicants haven't heard back from the university? I'm asking because they still haven't replied back to me and ideally, I want my 1st choice accommodation. My course is theoretical physics btw

Hey, I heard back for physics in November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an interview for Edinburgh tomorrow (pe teaching) does anyone else?
Has anyone already been to this?
Has anyone got an offer for the course?

Whats the interview like?

Thanks
Original post by orlrighty
I am sure you know a great deal about the applications process on both a professional and personal basis; however, my own experience from talking to admissions staff this year, is that Edinburgh University is now putting a lot of emphasis in 'social inclusiveness' for 2015 and, when I asked them what this meant in practice, was told this meant a concerted policy to encourage 'candidates who did not necessarily meet the current academic standards but came from less privileged social demographics'. Take that to mean what you will.

That is not to say that they discriminate against private schools, merely that they will bend over backwards to widen participation, as most universities do, Leeds and Manchester being ones I personally know of which make a special effort. The two are not contradictory. Universities over-offer at a rate of around 3 or 4 offers per place, because they know that every applicant could have 4 other offers. Even if applicants who qualified for a Widening Participation programme made up 25% of applicants, which they won't because that would mean there wasn't much of a need for an access programme, then on a course with 100 places, all 100 of them could be offered a place on advantageous terms and still leave 200 or 300 places to be allocated to the rest, be they private or state school. There is no need to discriminate against them because the WP candidates are not disadvantaged.
(edited 9 years ago)
That is not to say that they discriminate against private schools, merely that they will bend over backwards to widen participation, as most universities do, Leeds and Manchester being ones I personally know of which make a special effort. The two are not contradictory. Universities over-offer at a rate of around 3 or 4 offers per place, because they know that every applicant could have 4 other offers. Even if applicants who qualified for a Widening Participation programme made up 25% of applicants, which they won't because that would mean there wasn't much of a need for an access programme, then on a course with 100 places, all 100 of them could be offered a place on advantageous terms and still leave 200 or 300 places to be allocated to the rest, be they private or state school. There is no need to discriminate against them because the WP candidates are not disadvantaged.

I am not entirely sure I follow your reasoning to your conclusion. Ah well, probably only time will provide the empirical proof which of our suppositions is correct.
Hey! I sent mine off mid-December too, applied for Stirling, Strathclyde, West and GCU also, although I decided not to go through with the second stages of Strathclyde or West. I've had an interview from Cali though, and done the second stage for Stirling.

What about you? :smile:

Ugh, the whole Edinburgh thing is just driving me insane though, yet on UCAS Edinburgh was the only place that didn't give me a warning of a second stage or interview, are you sure they do them?
Original post by jane111
Is there any point in emailing edinburgh and asking them to lower my conditions? I've got personal reasons as to why I havent been able to be as comitted to my studies as I would like to be, and am unsure if I'll make my conditions, which is dissapointing as its my firm. Or is it cheeky to ask? Would I be highlighting a bad quality in myself?
Sorry for so many questions by has anyone else did this?

Probably better emailing the exam board and explain what's wrong to them to see if you would qualify to get an can get extra percentage
Original post by Supfools
Probably better emailing the exam board and explain what's wrong to them to see if you would qualify to get an can get extra percentage

No exam board will accept anything like this from a candidate. It must come from an impartial exams officer from the examination centre, who is the person to contact. The maximum allowance is 5% for the death of a parent or sibling in the immediate period prior to the exam, so it is not going to be a solution for most people.
Original post by jane111
Is there any point in emailing edinburgh and asking them to lower my conditions? I've got personal reasons as to why I havent been able to be as committed to my studies as I would like to be, and am unsure if I'll make my conditions, which is dissapointing as its my firm. Or is it cheeky to ask? Would I be highlighting a bad quality in myself?
Sorry for so many questions by has anyone else did this?

For Scottish system it needs to go through your exam centre (as mentioned). If there are issues which may affect how you perform in the exam you can have your other work taken into consideration.
My friend last year had some personal issues, and messed up in her exams as a result. Because she had notified everyone before hand, she ended up with the A's she was capable of achieving in any other circumstances based on her work through the year. She also got her place at Glasgow.

If there are extenuating circumstances then do talk to your school or college. The appeals service has changed but there is support if you get it now.

Congratulations on your offer btw....I am still waiting to hear for politics :s-smilie:
Just got an offer for History of Art :smile:
Original post by Jenny Piccolo
Just got an offer for History of Art :smile:

Congrats:smile:
Just got an offer for mathematics second year entry:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Cookie20
Just got an offer for mathematics second year entry:biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by trubadur

Thank you:smile:
Original post by Cookie20