The Student Room Group

Door supervision license - who has one and is it worth it?

Okay, I have the feeling security guards earn quite a lot, well above the minimum wage.

I am female but I look quite thin and not intimidating at all. However, I have worked in security before (when I was 20 and they just needed females to check up the females who attend football matches). It was quite a boring job but I prefer it to stressful bar jobs.

Now in the UK you need this license which costs a lot and Imnot even sure whether you get a job immediately, esp if you are female and 'petite' (I am 5'5), but I thought itd be a nice part time job during studies.

Who else has one and can talk more about it! Id love to hear more about it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
£8 an hour usually. Nothing compared the risk. Even at the best places, you're looking to spend £150-200 before you start on your own equipment (hi-viz, radio, earbuds etc) then you'll enter a job market that's over-saturated with people, the last few years have seen the market pounded by Eastern Europeans and people from the Job Center who get their QC for free. If you want to earn more, it needs to be a career for you. Find a good national company, large enough to be national but small enough to have a smaller work-force so you're not 1/5000 peons. You'll need experience so sit in a few smaller bars, then once you're ready; Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, London, Southampton big bars are generally what you'll find will pay £12-20 an hour based on experience and danger as you'll find people want to stab you more. I had a friend work in South London bars, walked through a bar, checked toilets and came back to front door, shirt was shredded as several people had tried to slice him and his stab-vest protected him.

In regards to your size and gender, a lot of what you'll learn his nerve-holds, basic holds which trap nerves and stops people moving. Long gone are the days of 'beat them til they stop moving' by 6'3 skinheads. But there's still a lot of Misogyny in the industry so you may find closed doors. Some companies will offer 'Definite job after training' while their definition of job is probably more 2hrs on a Thursday night for £5/hr.

closeprotectionworld.com/forum
Is a great forum for all things security.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Wow, thank you so much for your reply, very well worth knowing.

The story about the South London bar sounds scary.

Yeah, I was working in security in a small town outside of the UK, but bloody hell, this sounds intimidating. When did that happen? And why would they try and slice him? I mean, surely, if he/anyone had noticed, that person would be sent to jail for attempted murder?
Reply 3
It was a bad bar in South London, some people are just violent little...
90% of the bars you'll work in towns will be fine. In mine, 60-70% have stab vests but that's mainly to be careful. You don't need it and trust me, you'll need a lot of experience to go somewhere like that. In a club of 150-200 people, you ain't gonna know who did what.

I don't wanna put you off too much, that story is a very small minority of things that happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending