The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know about cats but my dog remembers my aunty and she only visits us once a year.

....But I doubt your cat will forget you after only 10 weeks.
Reply 2
Bluelight
Im going to uni over the weekend (for a maximum duration of 10 weeks), and I have a cat. Im just wondering if my cat will eventually forget who I am when i get back home; over the first term, or eventually over all three? :frown:

Definitely not. Cats (on average) are said to possess the intelligence of an average five year old child (I can't find anything to prove this, and I can't remember where I heard it, so this might be tripe). Unless you have a particularly thick cat, then I'm sure it'll be fine. :wink:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/paws-for-thought-cat-intelligence/page1.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_intelligence#The_learning_cat
My cat seems to recognise me whenever I got to stay with my parents.
Reply 4
I'm sure your little bundle of fuzz will remember you fondly :smile:
Reply 5
Bring food when you return. Your cat will soon "remember" you :biggrin:
Reply 6
My cat always remembers me; there're certain things he won't let anyone but me do to him - feed him out of my hand, scratch his belly - and he also only responds to me calling his name, no-one else. And I once went for a year without seeing him!

So yeah, in 10 weeks, unless your cat is a moron, it'll remember you :biggrin:
Trog
Bring food when you return. Your cat will soon "remember" you :biggrin:

exactly cats are very self serving creatures
Reply 8
Do dogs remember people?
Reply 9
My cat remembers me as a food machine.
Reply 10
It'll remember you. In fact, cats probably won't even care that you've gone - they see themselves as superior to their human slaves and so long as the rest of your family continue to house and feed it, it won't be too worried.

Dogs, on the other hand, will be depressed for a few weeks after you leave, and greet you on your return with boundless enthusiasm and give you a "don't leave me again" look.
My cat missed me and knew who I was when I came back, but think the main reason was that he sleeps on the end of my bed and as I wasnt there my door was closed.
So maybe he missed his sleeping spot more.
I have 2 cats (brother and sister) and about a month ago, one of them (Fred) "ran away" (he was actually shut in someone's garage) for four days. Over the first couple of days Pebbles was a bit worried - went looking for him, was extra clingy etc. However, on the fourth day, when Fred returned she was all hostile and acting like any cat would if another cat had invaded their territory.

So either Pebbles is supremely thick (most likely), or cats don't remember for very long.
Reply 13
I'm wondering the same thing about my hamster. :redface: I know the dogs will know me when I get back. But Ichabod... I'm not sure if he even recognises me when I disappear for an hour or so. :p:
I'm scared my fish will forget me
I moved away and when I came back the cat still remembered me.

Sadly,when I go to uni I've got to get rid of the cat because no one will be living here and I can't take him with me.Sob.I've had him for 10 years too and his brother died earlier on this year...poor thing.

He's lived a complete life of luxury and pampering and I'm worried that whoever he ends up isn't going to spoil him as much as I do:frown:
Reply 16
My parents got a new puppy and i went to see her while she was still with her mum, the next time i saw her (at 3 months old) she smelt me coming and came bombing towards the gate.

Was really cute.
justfarhan
I'm scared my fish will forget me

Nah, don't worry, I'm sure they won't. :p:
Reply 18
if you treat them well they wont forget
Reply 19
My cat at my parents house always remembers me, even if I don't return for months at a time. I really don't think you've got anything to worry about :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending