The Student Room Group

People already receiving offers???!!

Just finished and paid/sent off my UCAS application today.
I'v applied through school so its gone to my school so they can add the reference and send it directly to ucas which should hopefully be done by the end of this week because I have to meet the 15th october deadline for medicine.

However I'v been reading on here about some people who'v already received offers in the past two weeks or so??!! wth?
I thought universities weren't allowed to give offers until they'd received all applications? Isn't it unfair if its a first-come first serve basis?

If they're giving offers out this early and meet their allocated student number then people who apply later wont even be considered right?
Obviously I'm an early applicant but it just seems odd and unexpected.
In any case, huge congrats to the people who'v got offers - its awesome! And must be SUCH a huge relief, i'm very jealous. I was just a bit shocked since I never knew universities gave offers before going through all applications for the year cycle. but I guess it makes sense if the admission tutors come across a very stand out application early in the cycle and want to hold on to it.

Has anyone else already received offers??

Scroll to see replies

My friend has got an offer from Kings collage for law I think....
Reply 2
Original post by lukasthepoet

If they're giving offers out this early and meet their allocated student number then people who apply later wont even be considered right?

This is a misconception. Unis don't use "number of offers = number of students walking through the door in September", because:

1) people choose other universities
2) people fail to meet offers
3) gap year
4) withdraw

Universities give equal consideration to all applicants, as long as the application is received before the deadline. This means a student applying in late September is given the same consideration as a student applying in December. You may not understand how this works and it seems counter intuitive, but universities have done this for years and years and it has worked.

Uni's know exactly what they're doing, have no fear that applying later will not affect your chances. Though I would advise applying before December - Early Nov/Late Oct at latest, in order to prepare time for revision for December mocks and continue A2 study.

It also gives you more time to plan for the future.

edit: read this thread

pay attention to what returnmigrant says.
(edited 9 years ago)
I applied early because I was happy with my application and saw no logical reason to wait another few months when I could be getting replies.
I sent it off on the 1st and so far I've had one unconditional (Glasgow) but not heard anything back from the others. (Strathclyde, Imperial and Sheffield) Off to a good start I'd say :smile:
I sent mine off early because:

a. I'm sure of my course
b. I'm international.
c. I'm also a mature student.

It just made sense for me to send my application off, which I did Wednesday. But I am not one of the lucky ones to receive an offer yet.
I received an offer on the 24th September.I sent off my UCAS just the day before too and was the first one in my entire college to do so, that will be thousands in total considering my college has 3 or 4 campuses I think.I just like to not cut things fine, if you've not submitted yours by now you are cutting it fine if you want to apply for Oxbridge.It has meant I only now only have to go to tutorial for 10 minutes a week while the others catch up.
Original post by Dalek1099
I received an offer on the 24th September.I sent off my UCAS just the day before too and was the first one in my entire college to do so, that will be thousands in total considering my college has 3 or 4 campuses I think.I just like to not cut things fine, if you've not submitted yours by now you are cutting it fine if you want to apply for Oxbridge.It has meant I only now only have to go to tutorial for 10 minutes a week while the others catch up.

Which university for what course?
I got an offer within four days from Glasgow. I'm assuming its because my predicted grades are above the entry requirements and because I had a good personal statement.
Universities are known to give offers to excellent candidates early on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex347_
Which university for what course?

Warwick for Maths Mmath(4 years).
I have an offer for Warwick for maths, but as I understand it their policy seems to be to give an automatic offer to everyone predicted AAB or something, on the assumption that STEP will exclude enough people that they won't be oversubscribed.
Original post by tysonmaniac
I have an offer for Warwick for maths, but as I understand it their policy seems to be to give an automatic offer to everyone predicted AAB or something, on the assumption that STEP will exclude enough people that they won't be oversubscribed.

They influence the STEP '2' boundary, so it's a fairly safe bet.
Reply 11
Don't worry about it OP. My friend has an extremely strong application with no offers yet, and my (comparatively) weaker got me an offer in a day. No rejection means there's always a chance. It's still early days anyway! Especially for medicine, don't they interview most people first?
I received an offer from oxford, i'm pretty happy about that and they want me to go in for an interview within the next month or so!
Original post by JimmyRussel1
I received an offer from oxford, i'm pretty happy about that and they want me to go in for an interview within the next month or so!

Gr8 b8 m8: I r8 8/8

I'm forst sceptical that Oxford have replied, considering their deadline has not expired. Also Oxford make offers after interview, not before it- if you have been contacted you've been called to interview. Many fail at this point.

A legitimate offer? That makes absolutely no sense that they would give you an offer BEFORE an interview. The interview is always the deciding stage where they decide who's worth an offer. Why would they give you an offer and THEN invite you for interview?
You sure you've received an actual offer and not just an invitation for an interview? two very different things.

If its true then congrats
Reply 16
Congrats to everyone who has received offers, I personally haven't sent my application off yet but I'm not expecting to go to a top 10 university.
Reply 17
its makes you really antsy knowing your friends have offers,

my friend has already received 2 offers from his top 2 universities (Durham and Bath) and so has already firmed/insured his options and withdrew applications from his other unis!

Now hes sitting in class with a huge grin face focused on getting A*AA for his Durham offer.

Happy for him but us prospective medics have the pain of having to wait to get called for interview and then get an offer :'( -"Y they make so hard?!"
Original post by RagaZ
its makes you really antsy knowing your friends have offers,

my friend has already received 2 offers from his top 2 universities (Durham and Bath) and so has already firmed/insured his options and withdrew applications from his other unis!

Now hes sitting in class with a huge grin face focused on getting A*AA for his Durham offer.

Happy for him but us prospective medics have the pain of having to wait to get called for interview and then get an offer :'( -"Y they make so hard?!"

Would you trust your Doctor if it was easy?:colondollar:
I have got two offers so far from Warwick and Southampton for History, applied on the 30th September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending