The Student Room Group

English problems

After my time in Scotland, it has really dawned on me that England, or more specifically my region of England, seemingly has problems. To summarize, I think it's soulless, small/close minded, dull, unconcerned/interested and cold. As a general trend, it seems pretty much more like that the further south(and east perhaps) you go. I think it's time English people got rid of their overbearing arrogance and misplaced and irritating superiority complex about the north of England, celtic countries and Europe(again seemingly a south-eastern thing) also. In terms of sensibilities, I don't feel remotely like a southern-Englishman, I am beginning to hate the insularity, dullness and snobbishness of it. Seems like people here miss out on a lot because of all this. I write this thread because I'm interested in anyone who's experienced different parts of the UK, and maybe Ireland, and who has any experiences or opinions they'd like to offer in contrasting these different regions.

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge is lovely.
I have travelled all the Uk and alot of Europe, I love living in the south. Each part of the UK has its good and bad points.
Sounds like you were more conservative when you left to go to Scottland and now more liberal. The south def is more conservative than the north on a whole. Are you sure that its not just your political opinion that has changed?
Tractor-girlie
Cambridge is lovely.
I have travelled all the Uk and alot of Europe, I love living in the south. Each part of the UK has its good and bad points.
Sounds like you were more conservative when you left to go to Scottland and now more liberal. The south def is more conservative than the north on a whole. Are you sure that its not just your political opinion that has changed?

No that didn't change, I'm relatively left wing, so maybe that's some of why i like the north more
I'm more right wing and can see the beauty in northern places like Sheffield, however for career prospects the south is better. I just feel more comfortable in the south and would love to work/live in london later in life.
Plus the weather is better:biggrin:
Reply 4
You appear to live in a completely different country to me! The England I know is interesting in so many ways, has a rich, varied culture and heritage, is generally speaking full of character (though some areas less than others), and has a nice temperate climate. I certainly don't see it as being 'soulless' at all, and to be honest I find it hard to see how anyone could think so.
Reply 5
in my opinion i find england better than scotland. I live in yorkshire and wouldn't dream of wanting to live anywhere else after qualifying. It isn't snobby, the people are friendly and its an area full of culture.
Reply 6
The South is culturally recognised as being populated with an air of snobbiness, and a significant difference becomes apparent when contrasted with the North.

Personally, I love it in the South, and some of the arrogance and attitudes of people here reflects the cultural tradition it holds. I read a report not long ago that was conducted on a semi global scale (various parts of Europe) which found that around 40 % of kids in the UK helped each other with school work whereas in other countries it was much higher, and one country reached around 70 %! Cannot recall the exact hypothesis but it basically concluded that kids in other countries helped their peers a LOT more with work related matters.

Anyway, Southern UK pride mother****ers. :p:
~Kirsty~
in my opinion i find england better than scotland. I live in yorkshire and wouldn't dream of wanting to live anywhere else after qualifying. It isn't snobby, the people are friendly and its an area full of culture.

Interesting you say that being in such a great place as Edinburgh. How do you find Yorkshire better?

Also, remember that Yorkshire is probably way friendlier than , say London or here
WoWZa

Personally, I love it in the South, and some of the arrogance and attitudes of people here reflects the cultural tradition it holds.

Yeah, but is it better culturally??
WoWza, who's that in your pic? Oh **** it's not you:wink:
Reply 10
naivesincerity
Yeah, but is it better culturally??

Am not in a position to express such judgements as I can only represent opinionated views from my own culture. I love the south very much and have become accustomed with the populace that encompasses the attitudes they hold.

naivesincerity: Isn't she beautiful?
WoWZa
Am not in a position to express such judgements as I can only represent opinionated views from my own culture. I love the south very much and have become accustomed with the populace that encompasses the attitudes they hold.

naivesincerity: Isn't she beautiful?

Yeh she's not bad.....:smile: aren't southern attitudes a little cold and superior though?
Reply 12
naivesincerity
Yeh she's not bad.....:smile: aren't southern attitudes a little cold and superior though?

Not bad? The only female residing in the UK that surpasses and equalizes that threshold is Cheryl Tweedy. :p:

Yes they are.
Who is she??
Reply 14
naivesincerity
Who is she??

Her?

Reply 15
I lived in Nottingham for six years. I like England, but I certainly don't want to live there again. It's not that I'm particularly patriotic to Scotland; but Scotland is quite clearly the more interesting of the two countries in many of the most important aspects.
Reply 16
naivesincerity
Interesting you say that being in such a great place as Edinburgh. How do you find Yorkshire better?

Also, remember that Yorkshire is probably way friendlier than , say London or here

i don't like the people in edinburgh...their attitudes.
Reply 17
I don't have any problem with Edinburgh people - there are stereotypes of course, but I'd say they're generally very friendly.

I will say in the far north, they're very cliquey, especially when it comes to those who can't trace their lineage back 200 years in the same town :rolleyes:. We've lived up there for over fifteen years and are still treated like "bloody incomers" by some.

Stirling people are so incredibly nice - very nice friendly welcoming place. :smile:
~Kirsty~
i don't like the people in edinburgh...their attitudes.

What actual locals? I found them friendly
foxo
but Scotland is quite clearly the more interesting of the two countries in many of the most important aspects.

I have that sense also, about Ireland as well. But which aspects??

Latest

Trending

Trending